Investing General Discussion

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
All inflation has gone into eggs. Just eggs.

Well and rents/housing is still completely fucked but that's never going to get fixed in nimby/slumlord America.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
"Miss," but in a good direction, yes?

Seeing lots of talk about that being "deflationary," as if 6% Y/Y is somehow a harbinger of a deflationary spiral or something. It's still fucking 6% which is something a few years ago we would've been like "holy shit how did inflation get so bad?"

• 1Truth!
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
All inflation has gone into eggs. Just eggs.

Well and rents/housing is still completely fucked but that's never going to get fixed in nimby/slumlord America.
Bullshit. Buy groceries for an entire family, look at your monthly bill two years ago versus today. I know you’re just memeing but it wasn’t just eggs, not even close.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Bullshit. Buy groceries for an entire family, look at your monthly bill two years ago versus today. I know you’re just memeing but it wasn’t just eggs, not even close.
Pork and beef have retreated a lot from their highs. I was just in the market yesterday thinking about how much the price has come back down.

Cereal is super fucked though. I'm thinking anything grain related is going to be fucked for a long time. Fruit is all over the place, some things are super cheap and some things like cherries are stupid expensive.

• 2Like

Edaw

Parody
<Gold Donor>
"Miss," but in a good direction, yes?

Seeing lots of talk about that being "deflationary," as if 6% Y/Y is somehow a harbinger of a deflationary spiral or something. It's still fucking 6% which is something a few years ago we would've been like "holy shit how did inflation get so bad?"
powell-inflation-recession_jpg.png

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Yes, we understand why inflation is bad now. Or at least, those of us being honest.

I just meant 6% Y/Y PPI would've been astronomical 5 years ago and people would've wondered wtf happened. But today people are calling it deflationary. It's about perspective. And my point is that 6% is in no way deflationary.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Yes, we understand why inflation is bad now. Or at least, those of us being honest.

I just meant 6% Y/Y PPI would've been astronomical 5 years ago and people would've wondered wtf happened. But today people are calling it deflationary. It's about perspective. And my point is that 6% is in no way deflationary.
No but -0.5% in one month definitely is deflationary.

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole
No but -0.5% in one month definitely is deflationary.

No, it's not deflationary. Deflationary suggest things are getting cheaper. What's happening is things are getting more expensive at a slower rate. So its less inflationary, not deflationary.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
No, it's not deflationary. Deflationary suggest things are getting cheaper. What's happening is things are getting more expensive at a slower rate. So its less inflationary, not deflationary.
Month-to-month it's deflationary. It is saying things got cheaper this month vs last month, but things are still more expensive this month vs 1 year ago.

• 1Picard

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Month-to-month it's deflationary. It is saying things got cheaper this month vs last month, but things are still more expensive this month vs 1 year ago.
Fair. But month to month isn't really a metric to make any inferences from. There's no trend to look at there. It's just a single data point.

Since year over year is still massively up, we can see a trend that prices are still up, which is inflation.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
No, we are not deflating prices. Fogel is right on this. We are still inflating, albeit at a slower rate. The rate (while lower than previous months) is still extraordinarily high compared to the last few decades.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole
No, we are not deflating prices. Fogel is right on this. We are still inflating, albeit at a slower rate. The rate (while lower than previous months) is still extraordinarily high compared to the last few decades.

Yeah but the price of eggs from yesterday to today was 1 cent cheaper! Checkmate deflation!

• 2Worf

Edaw

Parody
<Gold Donor>

Screenshot 2023-01-18 at 09-28-09 ChatGPT.png

"This is a situation of disinflation, which is a slowing down of the rate of inflation."

• 1Like
  • 1Seriously?

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
Energy prices had some relief, which is probably why things slowed a little. The core problem is still bad, and with like everyone I know getting raises, oil going back up, and demand nothing close to slowing, the core problem is still there and bad.

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
If INTC keeps dropping this week I might end up keeping my shares I sold calls on that expire Friday.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Fair. But month to month isn't really a metric to make any inferences from. There's no trend to look at there. It's just a single data point.

Since year over year is still massively up, we can see a trend that prices are still up, which is inflation.
View attachment 453829

"This is a situation of disinflation, which is a slowing down of the rate of inflation."
What matters is which direction things are going in right now. A lot of policy changes have been made in the past year. A lot of world events have happened in the past year. If the trends we have today continue for 4-6 months, inflation will be in line with normal expectations. The direction of the economy generally lags behind policy by 12-18 months, though can be impacted by real-world-events in near-realtime. So whatever is happening right now is reflecting policy changes that were started over a year ago combined with actual events that occurred in the world over the past year. Continuing to make big policy changes (aka continued tightening) right now could have extremely adverse effects 12-18 months from now at which point it would be too late to reverse them.

• 1Like

Edaw

Parody
<Gold Donor>
What matters is which direction things are going in right now. A lot of policy changes have been made in the past year. A lot of world events have happened in the past year. If the trends we have today continue for 4-6 months, inflation will be in line with normal expectations. The direction of the economy generally lags behind policy by 12-18 months, though can be impacted by real-world-events in near-realtime. So whatever is happening right now is reflecting policy changes that were started over a year ago combined with actual events that occurred in the world over the past year. Continuing to make big policy changes (aka continued tightening) right now could have extremely adverse effects 12-18 months from now at which point it would be too late to reverse them.
The AI has a response. (To be fair, I did ask it to be sarcastic.)

Screenshot 2023-01-18 at 09-46-24 ChatGPT.png

It seems to be a bit of an asshole, if you ask me.

Last edited:
  • 6Worf
Reactions: 5 users