Investing General Discussion

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
Anecdotal but every single residential contractor I know is booked solid, not with new construction, but with major additions and renovations

I'm trying to do some near-term updates on the house I just bought and it's a motherfucker finding anyone reputable who has a schedule opening in the next six months, never mind next six weeks. It's been like that for the last 2-3 years, according to them.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
I'm in the industry and some areas are booming right now for tall multi-dwelling unit buildings.
talking eric cartman GIF by South Park

• 1Like
  • 1Worf

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Trust me, not all MDU are in the ghetto. Shit going up in Brooklyn and Manhattan are going to be out of our price range. Well, except for maybe Folger.
Yeah but I really like that gif and one of my favorite South Park moments. I also grew up in Section 8 housing so I'm trash.

• 1Like
  • 1Thoughts & Prayers

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Non-single family construction (like large buildings and shit) are still pretty strong. Some areas like Florida are banging out tall buildings (tall for Florida). NYC has strong permit action but interest rates are having a slowing effect.
Florida is ridiculous. The builder who did our house is planning on adding an additional 300 houses next to our subdivision. There's another builder who's been knocking out a dozen a month it feels like. My wife was reading me something the other day from either the county or city, but it was about condos going up here and there, more houses over there, etc. It's fucking nuts here.

My wife is already talking about moving. It's becoming too many fucking people already.

We'll probably eventually move to somewhere rural, if I can figure out how to get a mortgage in retirement (we closed on this one and I quit my job the same week, only keeping it for the mortgage). I'd really like 15-20 acres within 30-45 minutes from the mountains. Tennessee is nice for the taxes, North Carolina nicer for slightly milder weather.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Florida is ridiculous. The builder who did our house is planning on adding an additional 300 houses next to our subdivision. There's another builder who's been knocking out a dozen a month it feels like. My wife was reading me something the other day from either the county or city, but it was about condos going up here and there, more houses over there, etc. It's fucking nuts here.

My wife is already talking about moving. It's becoming too many fucking people already.

We'll probably eventually move to somewhere rural, if I can figure out how to get a mortgage in retirement (we closed on this one and I quit my job the same week, only keeping it for the mortgage). I'd really like 15-20 acres within 30-45 minutes from the mountains. Tennessee is nice for the taxes, North Carolina nicer for slightly milder weather.
I know, it's kind of fucking me right now trying to scope out a place to buy. Difference between Melbourne and Jensen Beach is like $150k for the same house. I really prefer Jensen but Melbourne/Titusville is just better value.

OU Ariakas

Diet Dr. Pepper Enjoyer
<Silver Donator>

I fucking hate every single 'financial' writer and department that write articles about revenue/profit with absolutely 0 mention of either profit margin or a chart that shows the companies P&L. It is just a hit piece dressed up as financial news.

• 8Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 8 users

BoozeCube

Von Clippowicz
<Prior Amod>
I fucking hate every single 'financial' writer and department that write articles about revenue/profit with absolutely 0 mention of either profit margin or a chart that shows the companies P&L. It is just a hit piece dressed up as financial news.

Hell i just find it amusing that any oil company cant post a profit and are the big bad evil, yet trash tech companies can score billions with insane margins, hiring non-american workers and their entire product is some morally gray bullshit selling your info to the highest bidder and they are prasied.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Hell i just find it amusing that any oil company cant post a profit and are the big bad evil, yet trash tech companies can score billions with insane margins, hiring non-american workers and their entire product is some morally gray bullshit selling your info to the highest bidder and they are prasied.
On some level, I think you're right, but did you somehow miss many years of people throwing Facebook under the bus for all of this?

I think the big difference is that for as shitty as these tech companies are, they created the product that is giving them the profits. Zuckerberg, for all his many, many, many, many faults, literally created the product that made him rich with his own 2 hands. It's also pretty obvious by now that Cheryl Sandberg was the largest source of the evil at that company.

On the other hand, oil companies lease government land at ridiculously low prices and suck dinojuice out of the ground and sell it back to us at whatever price they can get. They also get massive government subsidies for the privilege of doing so, despite having absolutely no price controls or accountability. They also get to sell oil on the global market (thanks Nixon) at whatever price the global market will bear, rather than being legally obligated to sell it to Americans first. Remember the whole "America First" thing? Oil would be the best place to start with that philosophy.

Google and Apple definitely dodge a lot of scrutiny, but people have been criticizing Apple for exploiting Chinese labor at factories with suicide nets for almost a decade now.

• 1Picard
  • 1Moron

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
people have been criticizing Apple for exploiting Chinese labor at factories with suicide nets for almost a decade now.

Criticizing them... from a new iPhone while simultaneously ogling the performance of their 20% AAPL portfolio. Much like oil, if people actually gave a shit they'd be making different purchasing decisions.

ToeMissile

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Seems to be all kettles and pots in the big leagues.

fris

Blackwing Lair Raider
i can't remember when I bought in the first time, but it was shortly after your initial post on it. i sold half about the time that recouped by full investment. then set a trailing stop and made about that much more. i think i did a bit over doubling my money. this time, my current cost basis is 0.21 and it's currently 0.33. not enough shares to make it something to brag about

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
i can't remember when I bought in the first time, but it was shortly after your initial post on it. i sold half about the time that recouped by full investment. then set a trailing stop and made about that much more. i think i did a bit over doubling my money. this time, my current cost basis is 0.21 and it's currently 0.33. not enough shares to make it something to brag about
Post tits I mean trades. jk

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Avaya was supposed to file Chapter 11 weeks ago, so the fact that they haven't is an odd signal, which could mean they might be able to dodge it somehow.

This would be Chapter 11 2: Electric Boogaloo technically, since they already did it once in 2017.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Rais

Trakanon Raider
Im willing to bet the creditors are going to sit on the board and refinance the deal. They will lose too much if they go Ch 11.