Investing General Discussion

Aldarion

Egg Nazi
A question because I want to understand how bankrupt stocks work. Not because I want to buy AVYA. (I don't do half measures -- when I want to light money on fire I just invest in natgas)

AVYA is up 1350% again today. Fidelity hasnt allowed trades in AVYA since they declared bankruptcy the most recent time. How do bankrupt, untradable stocks like this rise and fall? Is there some broker out there thats like "lol whatever sure you can buy some AVYA"? Is it some kind of trade happening outside of the usual (individual investors making trades through a broker)?

Just curious. Thanks!

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
So, Fed / FDIC want to keep stating "banking crisis over, move along" .. then you have stocks like SCHW that are still very broken. It's either the discount of the decade, or someone knows something we don't.

schw.jpg

• 1Mother of God
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
So, Fed / FDIC want to keep stating "banking crisis over, move along" .. then you have stocks like SCHW that are still very broken. It's either the discount of the decade, or someone knows something we don't.

View attachment 467351
How can you not trust what the Federal Government says. Look how accurate their jobs reports are.

• 1Worf

Jackie Treehorn

<Gold Donor>
We should have all listened to Jackie Treehorn Jackie Treehorn and bought gold.
As I recall it I think I just posted some pics of gold I bought. It is cool to touch, anyway! And who doesn’t like some classic 80s krugerrands. At least uh…I’m up like $300 an ounce on gold. Silver not so much. Metals should only make up a very small part of anyone’s portfolio at best.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Imagine being Dimon and JPM and having to admit to being tricked by a 30-year old chick for $175m

• 3Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 3 users

Il_Duce Lightning Lord Rule

Lightning Fast
<Charitable Administrator>
The 100D average looks like it's juuust about to cross the 200D for QQQ. Is this the fabled golden cross that Blazin Blazin recently prophesized??

Biblical tongue-in-cheek hyperbole aside, the overall chart action sure is pointing towards the bulls taking over. Yet I still see a lot of people talking about underlying issues that will royally buttfuck the banking system, the economy, the price of oil, inflation, and several other subjects that are currently escaping me but are big negative indicators.

I really want to follow the chart action, but it sure seems that chart action can also pivot inside of an hour and then keep cascading.
I guess what I'm trying to say is:
12ztvn.gif

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
The 100D average looks like it's juuust about to cross the 200D for QQQ. Is this the fabled golden cross that Blazin Blazin recently prophesized??

Biblical tongue-in-cheek hyperbole aside, the overall chart action sure is pointing towards the bulls taking over. Yet I still see a lot of people talking about underlying issues that will royally buttfuck the banking system, the economy, the price of oil, inflation, and several other subjects that are currently escaping me but are big negative indicators.

I really want to follow the chart action, but it sure seems that chart action can also pivot inside of an hour and then keep cascading.
I guess what I'm trying to say is:
12ztvn.gif

"Yet I still see a lot of people talking about underlying issues..."

This will never go away. Trade what the data is telling you. Failing that, trade the opposite of whatever Cramer says.

ps... SPY volume was about 2/3rds normal. As Blazin predicted, this is a light volume week.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Worf

Il_Duce Lightning Lord Rule

Lightning Fast
<Charitable Administrator>
"Yet I still see a lot of people talking about underlying issues..."

This will never go away. Trade what the data is telling you. Failing that, trade the opposite of whatever Cramer says.

ps... SPY volume was about 2/3rds normal. As Blazin predicted, this is a light volume week.
Ya, I agree with you intellectually. It's just REALLY difficult to turn off that in(e?)ternal pessimistic voice constantly yammering about "this is IT! You dumbass! Nice move not selling at -obvious 20/20 hindsight spot-!"

Which is totally NOT happening right now regarding BOIL. Nope. That voice is saying: "Ya, it's bad now, but just IMAGINE when it goes back to 15/20/40!! :I'm Fine: :I'm Fine: :I'm Fine: "
When back here in reality, NG is likely going to negative rates like oil during the first months of COVID. Stupid Chinese weather machines making Europe warmer this winter...

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Ya, I agree with you intellectually. It's just REALLY difficult to turn off that in(e?)ternal pessimistic voice constantly yammering about "this is IT! You dumbass! Nice move not selling at -obvious 20/20 hindsight spot-!"

Which is totally NOT happening right now regarding BOIL. Nope. That voice is saying: "Ya, it's bad now, but just IMAGINE when it goes back to 15/20/40!! :I'm Fine: :I'm Fine: :I'm Fine: "
When back here in reality, NG is likely going to negative rates like oil during the first months of COVID. Stupid Chinese weather machines making Europe warmer this winter...
Agree. Truly the hardest part of investing is tuning out the noise.

Rod-138

Trakanon Raider
A few weeks ago I decided to buy an IPO just because I hadn’t in like …5 years.

Bought the Bullfrog (bfrg) because it had the coolest name and after getting stomped for weeks I received the message from my coworker that was dumb enough to buy it with me “the frog is back on the Lilly pad!’

I don’t condone these boneheaded moves with anything more than gambling money, but man it’s fun to watch your baby frog come to life again. 🐸

• 2Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 2 users

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
From a personal perspective I hope TD goes belly up because of what they did seizing the Trucker's bank accounts on Trudeau's request.

• 6Like
Reactions: 5 users

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
We just can't sustain a decent rally. We retake 4000 and then lose it every few weeks now.

Was really hoping at some point we could regain that August 2022 level. Not even asking for new ATH's yet.

• 1Solidarity

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
We just can't sustain a decent rally. We retake 4000 and then lose it every few weeks now.

Was really hoping at some point we could regain that August 2022 level. Not even asking for new ATH's yet.
I sold half my FTEC so I could move the money over to the SPY and I have been patiently waiting for that inevitable dip back down under 4000. I am just selling ultra short duration out-of-the-money puts on it while I wait.

• 1Like