Investing General Discussion

Blazin

Creative Title
<Nazi Janitors>
trying long again here. Bears had a window to do something and they didn't show up.

bot SPY
Up over $5/share on this. This is such an example of a trade that 10yrs ago me would have probably missed. There is a mental game when people sell concerned with a pullback they become paralyzed when it doesn't materialize. I did manage to buy back in 0.50 cheaper than the previous exit but I would have made the trade regardless as it became clear that bears had no follow through this morning. The pop today was a little bigger than I was expecting and I'll take it. That little head fake lower is the kind of move that can really mess with traders.

Sometimes I want to just be out of the market to rest from the constant battle of trying to stay on the right side of this mental game. Repeat trades like this just 10-15x a year and you're going to make a lot of money

• 4Like
  • 1Tendies
Reactions: 4 users

ShakyJake

<Donor>
I have a habit of constantly expecting a sudden reversal on any strong upward move. Today, I watched SPY go higher and higher, yet terrified to make an entry because Im thinking it'll just reverse on my ass.

• 2Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Sanrith Descartes

Von Clippowicz
<Gaming Ghost>
I have a habit of constantly expecting a sudden reversal on any strong upward move. Today, I watched SPY go higher and higher, yet terrified to make an entry because Im thinking it'll just reverse on my ass.
This is why one secret to investing is to avoid emotions. Trade using charts and data. Use programmed orders to enter and exit trades.

There are days I see a setup pre-market, set my buy/sell orders and then go about my day. My phone alerts me if an order fills. Emotions are the kiss of death in trading. Today for instance, Blazin Blazin saw something that I didn't and profited from his move. I am willing to bet much cash he did not make that long trade based on a gut feeling or emotion. He saw something in the sell volume and accurately surmised the selling was done.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
I thought common lay-person investing knowledge was that the market always went down at the end of the year and then recouped those losses in the first six weeks of the new year.
What it's saying is that value within the S&P is being redistributed to a handful of the highest-cap companies at the top. The rest of the market is falling. Now, granted, the rest of the market could recover next year, but all signs are pointing towards AI, whether real or hype, being a 'rich get much, much richer' situation. The companies that have the ability to build massive models and package them into existing products with a subscription or enterprise premium stand to gain a lot, everyone who can't afford 20K GPUs costing $10K each is going to eat dirt.

• 1Diamond Hands
Reactions: 1 user

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
I still feel like crypto, while basically useless, holds up as a good leading indicator of overall market risk tolerance. When crypto goes on a good run, big tech usually follows within a day or two and drags the rest of the indexes up with it.

Sanrith Descartes

Von Clippowicz
<Gaming Ghost>
A look at Treasuries from 30 days ago and today..
Starting to see some inversion recovery in Treasuries. Long dated bond yields moving higher more than short dated. The 3 and 6 month notes still Kings though.

View attachment 495484

1699885352591.png

Sanrith Descartes

Von Clippowicz
<Gaming Ghost>
WMT is one of those stocks that just goes up and to the right on a slow steady pace. The current economy if good for them.

1699897371001.png

• 1Diamond Hands
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Sanrith Descartes

Von Clippowicz
<Gaming Ghost>
Mini-rant. It annoys the piss out of me people celebrating that the inflation rate isn't as hot as it was because they think this means prices are coming down. Fuck I hate stupid people.

Thank you. This has been my TedTalk. I will be here all week.

• 11Like
Reactions: 10 users

Aldarion

Egg Nazi
Mini-rant. It annoys the piss out of me people celebrating that the inflation rate isn't as hot as it was because they think this means prices are coming down. Fuck I hate stupid people.

Thank you. This has been my TedTalk. I will be here all week.
It is shocking how widespread this misunderstanding is. I mean, as far as I can tell, its the great majority of the American public that thinks this.

It makes me wonder if there will ever be an "oh shit" moment when they realize what it really means, and what that "oh shit" will look like.

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users