Investing General Discussion

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
MSFT was down today on the back of this news:

11:37 Reportedly Microsoft's OpenAI partnership could be subject to an EU antitrust investigation; No decision has been made yet as regulators are still gathering evidence - press - Regulators have reportedly decided against antitrust probe with regard to EU merger rules, but are still considering an investigation of whether Microsoft's market power distorts the market through certain practices - Source TradeTheNews.com

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
MSFT was down today on the back of this news:

11:37 Reportedly Microsoft's OpenAI partnership could be subject to an EU antitrust investigation; No decision has been made yet as regulators are still gathering evidence - press - Regulators have reportedly decided against antitrust probe with regard to EU merger rules, but are still considering an investigation of whether Microsoft's market power distorts the market through certain practices - Source TradeTheNews.com
The EU has decided they are the regulators of the world at this point.

• 2Like
  • 1Tiresome

ExGladius

Potato del Grande
Describe your exact method you use to identify these stocks, when during a trading day you do this, etc. You’ve been fairly vague thus far, hard to fault a knee jerk response in that case.
I'll always fault a thoughtless knee-jerk reaction in a public forum against someone you know nothing about, with disrespect ladled on top. Despite what our ignorant third-grade teachers said, it absolutely matters who "starts it," ...and that's enough about that.

To your more important point, however, the most basic and essential tool of trading, a stock scanner, will show you the "best" stocks throughout the day, however you define that. At various times I have defined that as only the stocks making new monthly highs that are also 10% up from the open, and given my attention to nothing but those. Other times I have decided this would be only stocks up 50% for the week, or stocks that are up 20 for the week, 30 for the past two weeks, and 75% for the month. Or only stocks that have gapped more than a certain percentage, when i was all fired up about gaps. There are many ways, pick what says "quality" loudest to you, and FOCUS on it religiously. My worst problem for years was floundering back and forth, dividing my attention on so many definitions of this, that I could never focus long enough to acquire expertise and skill along one viable path. Today, I've settled on percentage gain from the open, over 50K shares traded, above 2.00 in price (no penny stocks). Very simple.

In fact, after 22 off-and-on years of messing with this too-enticing pile of stink we call the market, I've learned that keeping things as simple as possible is probably one of the best things we can do. Therefore, my tools are now nothing but a stock scanner with the aforementioned simple filters, a simple "most movement" evaluation of "best," no moving averages, no Indicators like RSI or MACD nonsense that are only ever partially useful. Nothing but price action, looking at the daily chart simultaneously with a 1- or 2- minute, and the most basic set of price level/trendline and support/resistance analysis tools that you'll get in the first video you ever watch about "technical trading."

My idea is, waste no time with anything that isn't the very best, refuse to lose significant money, ever (very tight stop losses on entry), never hold a loser that enslaves your attention and mood and keeps you from acting on a new opportunity, and use a very basic set of tools and "git gud" with them, and with "feeling" the price action...which you can't avoid having to do anyway. Experience...trades, and lots of them...is essential to get under your belt.

Finally, the classics work. Here's the most basic "movement==>consolidation==>movement" trendline break into an extension in the world. I've done four of just this pattern in the past two weeks, all for gains over 40% in my cash accounts. Projecting into late 2024, give me my $25K account, again, with 4X margin and as many trades per day as I want, and let's go, baby!

1713472106077.png

1713471392439.png

Last edited:
  • 2Like
  • 1EyeRoll

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>
Today, I've settled on percentage gain from the open, over 50K shares traded, above 2.00 in price (no penny stocks). Very simple.

My current gappers list parameters are similar:

Daily volume: 100K+
Price: $5+
Average True Range $0.50+
Change from close: 2%

• 3Like

Zzen

Potato del Grande
Looks like WW3 is back on the menu boys. Vix futures up almost 10%. Zog Zog wet dream inc.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Zog

Blackwing Lair Raider
Fuckers dropped it and bought it up before we even had a chance.

Is this enough to go full retard money printer, rates to zero and nuclear armageddon? History says, no but wallstreet always overreacts to everything.

I've heard Iran isn't that big of a deal in the oil market, they have been sanctioned for probably the majority of my life. Russia actually is the big guy in the room but they've managed to still get their shit on the market. I'm sure we've been buying Iran oil via proxy the entire time.

Just be smart enough to let the animal spirits do their thing and try to make some money on it.

1713499531445.png

1713500564506.png

Last edited:
  • 2Worf
  • 1Like

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
The lithium exploration play that explorers were throwing money left and right at last year has totally evaporated.

It changes rapidly but the US is very close to over taking the daily production of oil of Russia and Saudia Arabia comined.

US 19.5 + million barrels a day
Russia 11 million barrels a day
Saudia Arabia 10.75 million barels a day

From 5 months ago and recently read another article that the US had surpassed them.

And Iran at less than 3 miillion a day.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Loser Araysar

<Gold Donor>
The lithium exploration play that explorers were throwing money left and right at last year has totally evaporated.

It changes rapidly but the US is very close to over taking the daily production of oil of Russia and Saudia Arabia comined.

US 19.5 + million barrels a day
Russia 11 million barrels a day
Saudia Arabia 10.75 million barels a day

From 5 months ago and recently read another article that the US had surpassed them.

And Iran at less than 3 miillion a day.

19.5+ million barrels a day??

More like 13 million and consumes over 20 million barrels a day. US is barely beating Russia in oil production

• 2Like
  • 1Picard

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Mentioned it several times before. The US gets more out of a barrel of oil than anywhere in the world by a large margin.

There's a scale that goes from 1 to 20 that guages the complexity and efficency of a refienry. Middle East refiners are about a 3. Europe a 7. Gulf coast rerineries in the US are a 14 and I think the newest Exxon refinery near Baytown, TX a 15. Not just gas but all products out of a barrel of oil. In a lot of the world they are really only refining oil for gas and diesel. Which is why most refineries in the US have an adjacent chemical plant to use the feed stocks from the refinery.

Oil futures were down a good bit overnight after news of the attack on Iran. They are positive now. The biggest threat Iran has on the oil price is not if their entire production was wiped out. It's on their pirating and shutting down shipping in the area.

• 3Like

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Welp, we lost 5000. Womp womp.

The one thing the administration could hang their hat on as performing well is about to also go into the shitter.

• 1Like
  • 1Rustled
Reactions: 1 users

The_Black_Log Foler

Stock Pals Senior Vice President
<Gold Donor>
Fuckers dropped it and bought it up before we even had a chance.

Is this enough to go full retard money printer, rates to zero and nuclear armageddon? History says, no but wallstreet always overreacts to everything.

I've heard Iran isn't that big of a deal in the oil market, they have been sanctioned for probably the majority of my life. Russia actually is the big guy in the room but they've managed to still get their shit on the market. I'm sure we've been buying Iran oil via proxy the entire time.

Just be smart enough to let the animal spirits do their thing and try to make some money on it.

View attachment 525358

View attachment 525360
NFC why anyone would still use robinhood after the shit they pulled a few years back with meme stonks

• 4Like
  • 1Truth!
Reactions: 4 users

Loser Araysar

<Gold Donor>
Mentioned it several times before. The US gets more out of a barrel of oil than anywhere in the world by a large margin.

There's a scale that goes from 1 to 20 that guages the complexity and efficency of a refienry. Middle East refiners are about a 3. Europe a 7. Gulf coast rerineries in the US are a 14 and I think the newest Exxon refinery near Baytown, TX a 15. Not just gas but all products out of a barrel of oil. In a lot of the world they are really only refining oil for gas and diesel. Which is why most refineries in the US have an adjacent chemical plant to use the feed stocks from the refinery.

Oil futures were down a good bit overnight after news of the attack on Iran. They are positive now. The biggest threat Iran has on the oil price is not if their entire production was wiped out. It's on their pirating and shutting down shipping in the area.

Thats nice. But we are talking about how many barrels of oil are being pumped out of the ground. This has nothing to do with refineries.

And that 19M isnt just slightly off, its off by 50%.

The_Black_Log Foler

Stock Pals Senior Vice President
<Gold Donor>
Baked in.

The question, per Blazin, is what it will do to sentiment.
Oh cmon give me a break there’s no way an acceleration pedal recall on all cybertrucks was already priced in 🙄

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user