Investing General Discussion

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
I have both.

Bought physical late last fall until right before WuFlu when inventory hit zero.

At that point I started buying SLV.

Prolly won't ever sell the physical. The SLV is the "investment" portion.
Then trailing stop it and sit back and ride in safety.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Indyocracy

Stock Pals Participant
<Gold Donor>
I opened up a put spread on Kodak today, need it to stay above 9 for the next month to be profitable, I think they are still gonna get the loan and worst case I lose $100 per contract.

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
No way are they getting that loan. Under investigation for insider trading in election year? No way.

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
I opened up a put spread on Kodak today, need it to stay above 9 for the next month to be profitable, I think they are still gonna get the loan and worst case I lose $100 per contract.
God love ya.

1597080416505.png

• 1Worf

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
Kodak done goofed I think. All the shit that went down the monday before their announcement shows that insiders knew and were cashing in. The CEO options deal was just downright cheeky. They probably expected the stock to jump nicely, but when tues day happen they were probably having a fractions of a penny moment.

Steal a little and nobody notices. Steal a lot and the fed comes a clobbering.

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
So TSLA is down about 20% from its 52 week high and I figured I would take a look see at it and if it was getting close to its level of support maybe grab a little taste. Current price $1423. 40-day support level $1004.

Hahahahahaha

LachiusTZ

Rogue Deathwalker Box
<Silver Donator>
So TSLA is down about 20% from its 52 week high and I figured I would take a look see at it and if it was getting close to its level of support maybe grab a little taste. Current price $1423. 40-day support level $1004.

Hahahahahaha

I sold 80% of mine between 1350 and 1650.

If it hits 1000, I'm all in again. Lol

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
Looks like NKLA signed a deal to produce electric dump trucks. Researched the subject a bit more and found a novel way that other companies want to use hydrogen in industrial vehicles, which NKLA may attempt to emulate. Apparently they want to use electric along with a hydrogen/propane mixture. Doing this requires changing a typical diesel motor into a gas turbine, something more equivalent to a jet engine, but perhaps even more complex.

It's an interesting idea, but a very far cry from a 'fuel cell' that NKLA is claiming. Apparently Siemens is on the forefront of trying to create a good engine like this. Since it requires storage of hydrogen gas by itself and or mixed with propane already, the risk of explosion is not small, and the complexity of the engine is extreme. Nothing NKLA has said suggests they're planning to go this route, but Siemen's plan is at least rational. Of course, it's more complex, expensive, dangerous and less durable than the typical industrial diesel engine. The only upside is more eco friendly, but for some people that's enough to overturn all the other logic.

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
My covered calls on DAL popped this morning. $30 strike expiring at the end of the week. So far I am 5-0 selling them. Lets see if my streak holds.
This may be one of the shittier trades I have made in a while. For no discernable reason (news-wise) DAL pops up about 8% after my calls sold. Shrug. Some days you eat the bear and some days the bear eats you.

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
DAL annoys me. I lost some money over a couple day swing trade and sold at $25.65 ... then today happens. These airline stocks have been moving all of their own, and many occasions the polar opposite of the broader market. I truly have no clue what is moving them these days.

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
DAL annoys me. I lost some money over a couple day swing trade and sold at $25.65 ... then today happens. These airline stocks have been moving all of their own, and many occasions the polar opposite of the broader market. I truly have no clue what is moving them these days.
Today wasnt just airlines. it was pretty much all the industrials/transports.
BA up 5%
RTX up 5%
DAL up 8%
GD up 2.4%
LMT up 1%
RCL up 10%
UAL up 9%
URI up 4%
NOC up 2%

Locnar

<Bronze Donator>

Yeah its strange, only thing to do better in my portfolio today was cruise stocks. No way would I attempt to buy in and out of them. I have some price targets in my head for each of them and when they reach that Ill do the trailing loss thing and call it a day. I knew they would not stay way down at the lows we saw them at, but I also don't think they are the best game in town as far as long term holdings.

I just need them to get back to half of their old 52 week high and ill be satisfied and ready for profits.

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Yeah its strange, only thing to do better in my portfolio today was cruise stocks. No way would I attempt to buy in and out of them. I have some price targets in my head for each of them and when they reach that Ill do the trailing loss thing and call it a day. I knew they would not stay way down at the lows we saw them at, but I also don't think they are the best game in town as far as long term holdings.

I just need them to get back to half of their old 52 week high and ill be satisfied and ready for profits.
What platform do you trade on?

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
I had some of this company when it was in the $2-$3 range. Got tired of sitting on it and sold when it went above $4 three or four weeks ago. WOMP WOMP

D86CBD0B-DE66-498B-9E06-0B7A47D87D8E.jpeg

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Ok, so instead of just picking prices arbitrarily or guessing here is a quick primer on how to use basic technical tools to help take the guesswork out.

1. Go to the quote page (we will use DAL) and click the advanced chart link...
1597095874744.png

2. Lets start by using a 3-month window

1597095930183.png

3. I am using candles. but it defaults with the OHLC symbols. you can choose these in the settings.

1597096023511.png

1597096049199.png

4. Clink indicators and in the box scroll down and choose Simple Moving Average. Click it twice to get to different averages

1597096134484.png

5. Click the little drop down on a moving average, press modify and in the box change the period to 200. click the other one and do the same thing but set the period to 50.

1597096289872.png

6. When you are done it looks like this..

1597096351670.png

So today we see it closed above the 50 day moving average. Thats good.

7. Now click on Technical Analysis and then Support & Resistance

1597096458940.png

Now you should see a blue line and a green line. The blue represents the floor of support and the Green is a ceiling of resistance.

1597096555709.png

8. it defaults to a 250 day calculation. With everything that has happened, 250 days of data is too skewed. click on the blue or green line and hit modify and choose the 40 day calculation and hit apply.

1597096676233.png

It will now redraw the lines and look like this...

oops to be completed on next reply. too many attachments..

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Ok, so instead of just picking prices arbitrarily or guessing here is a quick primer on how to use basic technical tools to help take the guesswork out.

1. Go to the quote page (we will use DAL) and click the advanced chart link...
View attachment 292068

2. Lets start by using a 3-month window

View attachment 292069

3. I am using candles. but it defaults with the OHLC symbols. you can choose these in the settings.

View attachment 292070

View attachment 292071

4. Clink indicators and in the box scroll down and choose Simple Moving Average. Click it twice to get to different averages

View attachment 292072

5. Click the little drop down on a moving average, press modify and in the box change the period to 200. click the other one and do the same thing but set the period to 50.

View attachment 292073

6. When you are done it looks like this..

View attachment 292074

So today we see it closed above the 50 day moving average. Thats good.

7. Now click on Technical Analysis and then Support & Resistance

View attachment 292075

Now you should see a blue line and a green line. The blue represents the floor of support and the Green is a ceiling of resistance.

View attachment 292076

8. it defaults to a 250 day calculation. With everything that has happened, 250 days of data is too skewed. click on the blue or green line and hit modify and choose the 40 day calculation and hit apply.

View attachment 292077

It will now redraw the lines and look like this...

oops to be completed on next reply. too many attachments..
It now looks like this..

1597096782967.png

Notice how tight the support and resistance lines are now? its because it has been moving in a sideways trough for so many months.

So what does this all mean? It means the stock has price support down around $26.22. if the price drops it "should" try to bounce here. It also has resistance at $29.64 which means it "should" struggle to get above this price and hold it. This is how I picked my $30 strike price for my call options.

So when you are looking for estimated price entry/exit points just using these basic tools will help you because lots of algorithms are doing the exact same thing and making trades off it. The 50 and 200 DMA lines will also act as support/resistance lines to some degree.

So this tells you that without some unforeseen event , the odds are DAL is going to stay in this trough until it breaks above or below support/resistance and maintains it for a period of time. You can use this to help you decide prices to buy and sell.

You can save this look (the DMA lines and support/resistance lines by clicking the same button and then choosing save view. this means the technicals and DMA will load for every stock you look at without having to set it up again.

1597097253267.png

Now you can try this on whatever airlines you own to get an idea of what the technicals look like for it and make a decision on when to sell or not to sell.

edit: notice today that DAL paused below the resistance level at $29.68. Tomorrow is going to be interesting to see if it can break out or not. IF it does I am probably losing my stock on Friday.

• 1Like

Khane

Got something right about marriage
It's a lot easier to say trading is so data driven and automated it has become a self fulfilling prophecy