Investing General Discussion

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
Seriously what's going to stop the collective masses on a private website from becoming multi-millionaires by buying the same stock?

Edit: And why hasn't this happened before, or has it with r/wallstreetbets and it's just not as common knowledge yet?

Because this kind of play is essentially a crowdsourced pyramid scheme and there's no way to guarantee that you aren't the one getting screwed. The value of your portfolio is all theoretical until someone on the other end buys it from you and you get to cash out. No one actually wants to own this shit long term at 10-1000x. People profiting now are doing so on the backs of whoever is holding the stock when the crash comes. When is that? Who knows! Keep rolling and hope it's not you!

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Drinsic

privileged excrementlord
Lol, Robinhood was at 1.0 average on the Play store this morning with ~295k reviews. 100k deleted reviews later it was at 2.5. Now when I check it's down from 194k to 178k, but the score is 4.2? Ok Google.

• 2Like
  • 1Picard
Reactions: 2 users

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
I'm glad you guys steered me towards Fidelity when I started investing last year.

I spent $200 that I was prepared to lose completely on AMC. Figured I'll either make a little money or learn something.

i've heard fidelity's app is pretty rough - when this blows over and i'm all cash in robinhood imma try TDA and their thinkorswim platform

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
Lol, Robinhood was at 1.0 average on the Play store this morning with ~295k reviews. 100k deleted reviews later it was at 2.5. Now when I check it's down from 194k to 178k, but the score is 4.2? Ok Google.

apple did the same thing

• 1Like

Arden

Blackwing Lair Raider
So I bought a bunch of Blackberry yesterday late afternoon. Woke up this morning and saw fucking RH is now disallowing people from buying BB. Wtf. Didn't even know that was possible.

Got pissed, sold my BB at a slight loss. Read some stuff about Dogecoin and said "fuck it" and threw everything I had left from BB into that.

Dogecoin goes nuts (still going nuts) and I've somehow doubled my money since this morning... What a weird fucking day.

I'm sure I'll wake up tomorrow and find out I'm broke

• 2Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 2 users

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
i've heard fidelity's app is pretty rough - when this blows over and i'm all cash in robinhood imma try TDA and their thinkorswim platform

I haven't used any others, so I have nobody to compare to, but it seems fine to me. Just wish it had a dark mode like any app that shows me a lot of bright white space.

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
I managed to put an order through on fidelity just now. Apparently I already had an account set up from a previous employer but it was IRA so I still had to go through the individual stocks account setup. I should probably have read the fine print but I ordered $400 at whatever the calculation said. If the shares are over that value will it complete for approximately that amount or just never fulfill the order?

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
I haven't used any others, so I have nobody to compare to, but it seems fine to me. Just wish it had a dark mode like any app that shows me a lot of bright white space.
The last update borked fingerprint ID though. Aside from that it's solid.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
I’m on iOS so idk if this applies to you but my fidelity app is in dark mode. It’s great, uses pure black backgrounds. You just turn on overall iOS dark mode and it applies to the apps. Not sure if android does that if that’s what you’re on.

The app is fine. It doesn’t have fireworks go off and it doesn’t look like a video game like some of the apps if that’s what you’re going for but I’ve had no problems with it.

• 1Solidarity

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Could be device specific. Fingerprint works just fine for me.
Bastard. Mine works when it pops up, but more than half the time it doesn't pop up and goes to password screen. I might delete the app and reinstall.

• 1Worf

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
I’m on iOS so idk if this applies to you but my fidelity app is in dark mode. It’s great, uses pure black backgrounds. You just turn on overall iOS dark mode and it applies to the apps. Not sure if android does that if that’s what you’re on.

Sadly Fidelity doesn't support dark mode on Android.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
I've never had a fake email phishing for Fidelity info or any other important account. 100% they didn't get it from Fidelity. You have a serious leak somewhere.

Turns out Fidelity's 800 number actually asks you for your username and password. Like... what the fuck Fidelity?

• 1Galaxy Brain
  • 1Truth!
Reactions: 1 users

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
I mean, if that's true, tomorrow's the day the world economy ends. Why would they just allow trading to resume if that's the case?
The same reason they “allowed” the world economy to melt 12 years ago? These fucks aren’t as smart as they think they are.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Found TJT TJT

C3591E14-35D1-4773-AF39-826DBC42CC66.jpeg

• 3Worf
  • 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 5 users

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
So let's say GME does hit 750-1000+

Is this gonna drag/implode our other holdings, at least in the short term?