Investing General Discussion

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
So I think I am finally ready to switch platforms :( I close Robinhood shortly after the fiasco, but 90% of my trading was on eTrade(inoino, lol @ me). But for the most part it worked perfectly and I never had any issues to be honest. The last few weeks/months the system seems flat out broken. I cant even log on until 1000EST, certain symbols don't even show up. One day I will have 5k in stock X, displayed perfectly in a portfolio, the next day it will show that stock at 0% with me obviously having a 100% loss(happened AGAIN today). After I have a heart attach and go all over the internet verifying that stock is not 0.00$, and call eTrade, I find out it is all there, just a "visual bug"...pretty fucking bad visual bug. So I've had it.

I was looking at Fidelity and Ameritrade. Some of what I am looking for:

• I want a desktop app, yea I know, I'm old school. The mobile app is fine for monitoring investments or whatever, but I am not such high volume/frequency that I need to make a trade from my phone while out at dinner, though it is nice to check things from an ipad or whatever while having coffee. Ameritrade has "thinkorswim" and fidelity has active trader pro. I made accounts with both and downloaded the apps to play around, but can anyone speak to either?
  • can anyone speak to how they handled the whole memewar?
  • Any issues with app access/slowness/downtime?
  • Which ones allow after market trading?
I use both. TD (TOS) for swing trades and Fidelity Active Trader Pro for 401k Brokeragelink.

Both allow pre / after hours trading. (You will need to tick some boxes and accept the risk). Neither limited trading during the meme wars, but reduced the ability to use margin for trading those stocks. (This is normal).

BOTH have experienced slowness right at market open during the peak volatility. Usually after 10-15mins it all works itself out. It is just essentially lag, but can cause some panic. Outside of this, they work flawlessly. I really like the TOS platform and their phone app. Fidelity is rock solid function, but looks dated.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Jackie Treehorn

<Gold Donor>
So I think I am finally ready to switch platforms :( I close Robinhood shortly after the fiasco, but 90% of my trading was on eTrade(inoino, lol @ me). But for the most part it worked perfectly and I never had any issues to be honest. The last few weeks/months the system seems flat out broken. I cant even log on until 1000EST, certain symbols don't even show up. One day I will have 5k in stock X, displayed perfectly in a portfolio, the next day it will show that stock at 0% with me obviously having a 100% loss(happened AGAIN today). After I have a heart attach and go all over the internet verifying that stock is not 0.00$, and call eTrade, I find out it is all there, just a "visual bug"...pretty fucking bad visual bug. So I've had it.

• I want a desktop app, yea I know, I'm old school. The mobile app is fine for monitoring investments or whatever, but I am not such high volume/frequency that I need to make a trade from my phone while out at dinner, though it is nice to check things from an ipad or whatever while having coffee. Ameritrade has "thinkorswim" and fidelity has active trader pro. I made accounts with both and downloaded the apps to play around, but can anyone speak to either?

Fidelity has a great desktop program (thank you Sanrith.)

Fidelity had no changes during the meme wars, everything was allowed, margin changes aside.

Fidel has after / pre market.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole

Fidelity didn't have an issues during the meme war outside of a little lag when the RH fiasco first blew up. They didn't restrict anything at all. They trade early hours 7 am to 9:30 am and AH 4:00pm to 8:00 pm, you pretty much only miss out on 4-7am

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Fidelity didn't have an issues during the meme war outside of a little lag when the RH fiasco first blew up. They didn't restrict anything at all. They trade early hours 7 am to 9:30 am and AH 4:00pm to 8:00 pm, you pretty much only miss out on 4-7am
This is a good point. TD (TOS) starts premarket trades at 7am too. (Other brokers can offer 4am trading)

swayze22

Elite
<Bronze Donator>
TD Think or Swim platform is A+, the mobile app is solid, somewhat more technical information overload compared to other mobile. I only use it for ToS on desktop which is 90% of my time. I've been happy with TD/ToS thus far.

All TD did during the meme stuff was limit amc/gme to non-margin on certain accounts for a while I believe. They seem to have good support and the website is nice too.

TD doesn't have true 24hour trading. only extended hours on certain tickers (ETFs), it's like 8pm.

• 1Like

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Man if only I held SNDL to today my money would have doubled. Hit $1.65 today.

Last edited:
  • 3Like

Arden

Blackwing Lair Raider
Holding my SNDL until $2 then going to sell half and keep the rest.

• 3Like

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Yeah, that was another I was eyefucking and didn’t pull the trigger on.

Between SNDL, Tilray, and Ocugen yesterday, I’m down tens of thousands of “what if” dollars!

Check out the SNDL puts for 2/12, can get the 1.50 strike for .15 premium. That's a 10% gain if it stays above 1.50 till this Friday. Sold some myself

• 1Like

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>
thats why im not selling HCMC!

1612891722909.png

• 1Double Worf
  • 1Like
  • 1Tendies
Reactions: 3 users

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
At least I'll be able to laugh my ass off at work today thanks to WSB. I sometimes take a loss, but there's a sea of retards there to show you there's always someone stupider at investing than you. GME is at 277? TIME TO YOLO.

• 1Like

Arden

Blackwing Lair Raider
I thought this was busted when it was down, but now I'm up at 105%. When do I dump?

Lmk if you find out. I'm holding 250k shares of this shit lol. Im going to try and sell as it goes up (assuming it keeps going up like it has). We will see if I actually have the discipline to do that. The "selling slowly while it goes up" strategy seems the smartest but feels the worst.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Everything on my dashboard is red. What kind of upside down world have we stumbled into? Stonks are only supposed to go up!

• 1Like