Investing General Discussion

Sanrith Descartes

Von Clippowicz
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
I'm tempted to buy more CCIV and PLTR at these prices. But I've already got big positions in both that I plan on going long in and don't want to sell out of my other positions yet to free up cash.

The missed unrealized gains from this year I was talking about in the Bitcoin thread are almost entirely in those two stocks as it is.
My biggest concern with CCIV is that the big players are beginning to come to market in the EV space with serious intent. VW, BMW, Daimler, GM. TSLA has an existing customer base and manufacturing moat, Lucid doesnt.

Blazin

Creative Title
<Nazi Janitors>
I'm tempted to buy more CCIV and PLTR at these prices. But I've already got big positions in both that I plan on going long in and don't want to sell out of my other positions yet to free up cash.

The missed unrealized gains from this year I was talking about in the Bitcoin thread are almost entirely in those two stocks as it is.

This is why I have been flipping them, but I'm also okay if I miss some big breakout. PLTR is entering the area I'll look to start scaling back in. Locking in 10% gain early in the week feels good when you watch it subsequently give back the entire recent move. It's one or the other though smaller incremental gains or the big long haul managing to get both is highly unlikely.

Sanrith Descartes

Von Clippowicz
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Curious on the legitimacy of the source... wouldn't be surprising though. Coinbase is garbage and everyone in the crypto space knows it, including their employees I imagine
The docs seem to check out. It's public now so they have to declare. Unlike PLTR which put in place some dark periods after the direct listing, COIN did no such thing.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
The docs seem to check out. It's public now so they have to declare. Unlike PLTR which put in place some dark periods after the direct listing, COIN did no such thing.
I’m not a fan of predatory ipos which incentivize mass dumping of stock because it has no voting power.

Sanrith Descartes

Von Clippowicz
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
The big two who cashed out got over a billion for their shares. I didn't realize until reading an article that one of the foundets is Neil Armstrong's kid.

• 1To the Moon!
  • 1Mother of God
Reactions: 1 users

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Mentioned previously that I found Mr. Money Mustache many years ago, and then a few weeks ago after we left California that we hit a major milestone (as we became "homeless," living in our van).

Between selling our house, which hopefully closes in the next couple weeks, and the recent market upturn, we've essentially surpassed our number.

I started looking for a new job a while ago, not really considering how close we were. Our plan was (is?) to move to Florida, start new jobs in May, and work for maybe another year before actually retiring. But fuck, now we're both sitting here wondering why? I feel committed to start this job I accepted months ago as I'd feel shitty leaving them with a hole when they've been waiting for me to start since February. I think we decided today that my wife won't even bother transferring her job anymore. The only x factor is that we'd like to build a house, and that's a lot easier done when you have steady employment (at least for getting a loan). And with inflation potentially on the horizon, I'd kind of rather get a mortgage than pay for it outright.

We're both kind of relieved to be in this position, but also after 3 weeks of travelling the country and not having any commitments, feeling ambivalent towards "rejoining" the workforce. We've still got another 3 more weeks until my job starts, so we'll still be in vacation mode for a bit.

Anyway, this really just became a Livejournal post about nothing. I mostly wanted to encourage people to pursue financial independence because it really can be a reality. I think I discovered the concept around 2014 and didn't get serious about it until early 2015. I never thought we'd get here so fast (we had maybe $80k saved at that point and were making a combined income around $70k a year). A series of fortuitous raises and not having kids really helped. I mentioned in Politics that I was able to tell my boss to essentially fuck off because I disagreed with the direction of the organization (resigned from management and then just quit about 2 weeks later). I think around 2016 I had projected we'd have enough to retire by 2024 or so. If we finish out 2022 working, we'll probably have an extra 15-20% more than what the 4% rule says we need.

Edit: Also, to be open about everything, our max combined income was definitely higher than median, but even our best year was $185k in 2020, and that was after major raises for both of us. Prior to that we were in the $90-$140k range from 2015-2019. We generally saved about 60-70% of gross. I share that because most people here veer towards things like technology or engineering where those salaries are definitely feasible and I believe most of you could retire within 10-15 years if you just manage expenses and stash the rest away in a broad market index.

Last edited:
  • 11Like
  • 2Tendies
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 13 users

LachiusTZ

Rogue Deathwalker Box
<Silver Donator>
That's awesome.

I really want the retirement healthcare and pension, but between the left wanting to kill healthcare, and the driving of straight white men out of govt, I've accepted there is a real chance I couldn't make it if I tried.

So I'm trying to claw my way towards where you are.

Jealous of your gypsy van life

• 2Like

Sanrith Descartes

Von Clippowicz
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Edit: Also, to be open about everything, our max combined income was definitely higher than median, but even our best year was $185k in 2020, and that was after major raises for both of us. Prior to that we were in the $90-$140k range from 2015-2019. We generally saved about 60-70% of gross. I share that because most people here veer towards things like technology or engineering where those salaries are definitely feasible and I believe most of you could retire within 10-15 years if you just manage expenses and stash the rest away in a broad market index.
I own a couple of business. I will tell you success is won and lost on the expense side of the ledger. I apply this same mentality to my personal finances.

• 2Like

Lambourne

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
The MMM way of cutting wasteful spending and paying off any debts definitely works and I'd recommend it to anyone. I reorganized my finances after reading that site years ago and it's amazing how quickly it starts snowballing once you get into it. I also enjoyed it more than investing, since there's clear goals you can set and achieve.

In 7 years I went from basically spending my entire paycheck each month to running so much of a surplus that I cut my hours down to where I now only work 4 days a week (which is much more of a quality of life improvement than I expected).

Did all of it without major windfalls and without growing my own tomatoes, there's really no reason to go that far. Just cutting wasteful spending and getting out of the debt swamp will be enough for many people.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
That's awesome.

I really want the retirement healthcare and pension, but between the left wanting to kill healthcare, and the driving of straight white men out of govt, I've accepted there is a real chance I couldn't make it if I tried.

So I'm trying to claw my way towards where you are.

Jealous of your gypsy van life
I wasn't willing to work until MRA just for healthcare. That'd be another 20 years, by which time I'd have way, way too much money.

Our van life adventure is almost over. We're visiting my wife's family this week and heading down to Florida shortly.

We actually had a revelation over the last two days though. The only reason we were targeting the panhandle was to transfer my wife's job. But then we realized she doesn't need it, so now we're facing the conundrum of where to live. We can pick anywhere. Over the last several months we had a goal with an end city in mind. All the sudden we're sitting here like "well fuck, where are we going to live?"

• 1Solidarity

LachiusTZ

Rogue Deathwalker Box
<Silver Donator>
I wasn't willing to work until MRA just for healthcare. That'd be another 20 years, by which time I'd have way, way too much money.

Our van life adventure is almost over. We're visiting my wife's family this week and heading down to Florida shortly.

We actually had a revelation over the last two days though. The only reason we were targeting the panhandle was to transfer my wife's job. But then we realized she doesn't need it, so now we're facing the conundrum of where to live. We can pick anywhere. Over the last several months we had a goal with an end city in mind. All the sudden we're sitting here like "well fuck, where are we going to live?"

Talkeetna

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>

Pretty close to my plan, I'm very much the fan of reliable investments rather than risky attempts to beat the market. My plan is to retire by 50, and I layed the math out about 5 years ago on what I have to contribute in a world with 7% returns to make that goal reality. I've beat my minimum investments pretty soundly, and as we all know here, markets have done a little better than 7% these past few years, and I had one nice windfall on the way. So now I'm way ahead of my goal and will probably end up closer to 1.5-2m by 50, and the idea of retiring just a bit earlier is starting to claw its way into my head.

• 1Like