Investing General Discussion

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
Am I the only one w a family where I know who not to give advice to and to whom and when to give advice?

What’s up w “one person didn’t listen to me so I’m not talking to anyone in my family anymore!”?
I got another relative with a 401k for 15 years who has never once logged into the site. I said log in and I’ll give you advise on what to put money in. They still haven’t figured out the user name or password. Another has their shit together so I know they don’t need advice. Another has 60k in credit debt, got their house foreclosed, and car reposessed. I safely assume if I asked what their investments are in I’d get a ??? Look from them. Another is in jail... and it goes on and on.

Trust me I didn’t give up after one.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
It's official:

Dallas, TX and New York, NY – May 17, 2021. AT&T Inc. (NYSE:T) and Discovery, Inc. (NASDAQ: DISCA, DISCB, DISCK) today announced a definitive agreement to combine WarnerMedia’s premium entertainment, sports and news assets with Discovery’s leading nonfiction and international entertainment and sports businesses to create a premier, standalone global entertainment company.

Under the terms of the agreement, which is structured as an all-stock, Reverse Morris Trust transaction, AT&T would receive $43 billion (subject to adjustment) in a combination of cash, debt securities, and WarnerMedia’s retention of certain debt, and AT&T’s shareholders would receive stock representing 71% of the new company; Discovery shareholders would own 29% of the new company. The Boards of Directors of both AT&T and Discovery have approved the transaction.

SEC 8K link:

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Love watching premarket action sometimes. Nearly 4mil shares block trade on ABNB hit at 08:05am. That's a roughly $550m buy.

• 2Mother of God
Reactions: 1 users

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
It's official:

Dallas, TX and New York, NY – May 17, 2021. AT&T Inc. (NYSE:T) and Discovery, Inc. (NASDAQ: DISCA, DISCB, DISCK) today announced a definitive agreement to combine WarnerMedia’s premium entertainment, sports and news assets with Discovery’s leading nonfiction and international entertainment and sports businesses to create a premier, standalone global entertainment company.

Under the terms of the agreement, which is structured as an all-stock, Reverse Morris Trust transaction, AT&T would receive $43 billion (subject to adjustment) in a combination of cash, debt securities, and WarnerMedia’s retention of certain debt, and AT&T’s shareholders would receive stock representing 71% of the new company; Discovery shareholders would own 29% of the new company. The Boards of Directors of both AT&T and Discovery have approved the transaction.

SEC 8K link:
I worked there under Whittaker, Stevenson and left before Stankey took over. Randall was a Whittaker clone and do-boy. He felt the path to victory was to buy shit and ignore the price because scale > all. Stankey is a numbers guy. He sees the writing on the wall and is dumping down debt. They are now the #3 telco after the Sprint/Metro merger. He wont allow that to continue.

• 1Like

Blazin

Creative Title
<Nazi Janitors>
I have a commitment to always post when I have a red trade. My current dilemma is QCOM. I have been pretty aggressive on QCOM because of the chip shortage and 5g roll out. I sold $135 puts for 5/21 which have been as much as $10 in the money and I sold them for $2 (Ouch). When a trade goes Rajaah Rajaah on you how you handle it is a big part of long term success and there is no set answer. Sometimes a cut and run is the best choice, sometimes patience, sometimes doubling down, sometimes selling covered calls. Losses need to be managed, never take giving up capital lightly.

Right now I'm considering:
1. Wait till friday and take the shares
2. Closing the puts now and purchase the shares. The puts are now at a delta of .93 which means I can swap the options for shares without paying anything more than intrinsic value.
3. I could delay taking the shares by rolling the contract out to late June plus lower the strike to $130 from the $135. This would be an even trade both options pricing around $6.00.
4. Close the trade at the loss

Option 3 is probably my best statistical chance of recovering the loss but it takes a while, if the shares fall into the low to mid $120s then I'd probably be caught for several more monthly rolls trying to wiggle my way out.

If I'm sufficiently bullish option 2 could have me out at even or better if we get any kind of strong rally in the nasdaq in the next week or two. I could just set a limit sell at my BE or I could wait for rally then sell covered calls to improve my cost basis and do that for a couple months.

The current market concern is that Apple will at some point later this decade make its own modems and significantly eating into QCOMs business. This is a tough call I don't think it's a particularly easy task to just displace QCOM but apple has shown before its commitment to taking greater control over critical components. I felt QCOm would have a strong qtr and they did with the stock popping into the mid 140s but the tech weakness and apple news had that pop quickly fade.

• 5Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 5 users

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
I have a commitment to always post when I have a red trade. My current dilemma is QCOM. I have been pretty aggressive on QCOM because of the chip shortage and 5g roll out. I sold $135 puts for 5/21 which have been as much as $10 in the money and I sold them for $2 (Ouch). When a trade goes Rajaah Rajaah on you how you handle it is a big part of long term success and there is no set answer. Sometimes a cut and run is the best choice, sometimes patience, sometimes doubling down, sometimes selling covered calls. Losses need to be managed, never take giving up capital lightly.

Right now I'm considering:
1. Wait till friday and take the shares
2. Closing the puts now and purchase the shares. The puts are now at a delta of .93 which means I can swap the options for shares without paying anything more than intrinsic value.
3. I could delay taking the shares by rolling the contract out to late June plus lower the strike to $130 from the $135. This would be an even trade both options pricing around $6.00.
4. Close the trade at the loss

Option 3 is probably my best statistical chance of recovering the loss but it takes a while, if the shares fall into the low to mid $120s then I'd probably be caught for several more monthly rolls trying to wiggle my way out.

If I'm sufficiently bullish option 2 could have me out at even or better if we get any kind of strong rally in the nasdaq in the next week or two. I could just set a limit sell at my BE or I could wait for rally then sell covered calls to improve my cost basis and do that for a couple months.

The current market concern is that Apple will at some point later this decade make its own modems and significantly eating into QCOMs business. This is a tough call I don't think it's a particularly easy task to just displace QCOM but apple has shown before its commitment to taking greater control over critical components. I felt QCOm would have a strong qtr and they did with the stock popping into the mid 140s but the tech weakness and apple news had that pop quickly fade.
For all involved, including myself, can you opine on option 2 a bit more. Its probably the choice very few people think about in this situation.

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Since you are posting today Blazin Blazin do we want to consider consolidating the Boomer/Dividend thread back into this general thread? It doesnt get much traffic and most of that discussion ends up here anyway.

• 1Truth!

Blazin

Creative Title
<Nazi Janitors>
For all involved, including myself, can you opine on option 2 a bit more. Its probably the choice very few people think about in this situation.
Sure, when options are either close to expiration or sufficiently deep in the money or some combination of the two the delta will climb very high. Currently my option is at a 0.93 delta. That means for a $1 move in the stock the option will move $0.93 so near parity. The math of my particular situation.
QCOM 210521P135 (This is a 5/21 expiring put with a strike of $135.00)
Option Current bid 6.30 ask 6.45
Shares Current bid 128.75 ask 128.78

So if we substract the current share price from the $135 strike
($135-$128.75)=$6.25. This is the INTRINSIC value of the put option. I could buy to close my puts for $6.38 or there about. In this case I'd be paying 0.13 in remaining extrinsic value (time premium) and purchase the shares at market for $128.78. This new position is near identical to my current position but if you are bullish unlike the option I can now participate in upside beyond the strike because I now own the equity and it only cost me $0.13 for that privilege. My downside between now and Friday would not change. This choice would also let me sell a covered call now rather than later. For example the 6/18 $135 for $2.25. This would lower my cost basis and give me a chance to get out of trade with the premium I collected on both ends. $2 for the put and the $2.25 for the call.

This strategy tactically isn't that different than just being assigned on Friday, it is a choice if you want the increased flexibility of holding the shares this week versus waiting out the week.

• 2Like

Blazin

Creative Title
<Nazi Janitors>
Since you are posting today Blazin Blazin do we want to consider consolidating the Boomer/Dividend thread back into this general thread? It doesnt get much traffic and most of that discussion ends up here anyway.
Because the big crowd moved to the Crypto thread we could probably combine a couple of them as the activity here isn't running as fast as it was. However, change tends to cause confusion so always a little hesitant. I'd probably lock them with a redirect to this thread rather than merge them.

• 1Like

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Because the big crowd moved to the Crypto thread we could probably combine a couple of them as the activity here isn't running as fast as it was. However, change tends to cause confusion so always a little hesitant. I'd probably lock them with a redirect to this thread rather than merge them.
I think the SPAC/IPO and Options threads are good as it doesn't clutter this thread for those not inclined. Lets face it, Dividend/Boomer stocks are as popular as.. well.. Boomers.

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Interesting note, bitcoin related stocks like RIOT, MARA, CLSK etc aren't down as much as I thought they'd be. They usually swing a little more than bitcoin does yet they're only down around 10% while bitcoin is down around 20% from Friday

Il_Duce Lightning Lord Rule

Lightning Fast
<Charitable Administrator>
No need to merge or lock things IMO, just let them sit and if things change in the future there's a thread for that.

This subforum is still pretty young and the popularity of investing will rise and fall slightly as market news impacts mainstream news (or not) which is a natural cycle. Hopefully each rising cycle attracts more people to be more consistent posters, and that is more likely with a stable subforum IMO.

• 2Like

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Speaking of, what're you doing with your VLDR?

Sucking it up for now. I dont want to sell CCs right now because of the volatility. When it spiked to $16 on that monster move a few weeks ago I couldn't take advantage of the move to exit because of the option. I am honestly hoping for a short squeeze on some random news to exit. My cost basis is just over $15.

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
No need to merge or lock things IMO, just let them sit and if things change in the future there's a thread for that.

This subforum is still pretty young and the popularity of investing will rise and fall slightly as market news impacts mainstream news (or not) which is a natural cycle. Hopefully each rising cycle attracts more people to be more consistent posters, and that is more likely with a stable subforum IMO.
We just need Elon to tweet "Crypto suxxors; Buy stonks".

• 1Rustled