Investing General Discussion

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
I use Fidelity, TD and Merrill. Avoid Merrill like the 'rona. Fidelity is my #1 suggestion. Have no issues so far with TD.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Yeah, Merrill is trash. I used Vanguard for a long time and had no issues when I was more passive, but if you want to get a bit more proactive than I'd go with fidelity. I eventually moved everything over from Vanguard to Fidelity, even my passive stuff.

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Yeah, Merrill is trash. I used Vanguard for a long time and had no issues when I was more passive, but if you want to get a bit more proactive than I'd go with fidelity. I eventually moved everything over from Vanguard to Fidelity, even my passive stuff.
I beg my mom weekly to move her accounts out of Merrill but she won't do it. Annoys me when I have to use it. I have most of her stuff on auto-pilot and I can't imagine trying to actively trade with it. It's ass.

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
Conversely, I stay vanguard with my roth for this reason. First, because I want to discourage myself from being too active. I have the good sense to not trust my feelings on the market most of the time. The majority of my trades are intended to keep my portfolio balanced between a half dozen ETFs I like, perhaps shifting focus away or into sectors I like, but never straying far from the middle. I try to channel inner Tuco Tuco when investing.

Having access to more options isn't necessarily a positive. My 'play' account, which is less than 10% of my roth's value, is at Fidelity. I mostly view it as my working bank account, as I try to keep my actual savings account as low at all times as possible. My 401k is neither, and for that I'm sad.

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
Conversely, I stay vanguard with my roth for this reason. First, because I want to discourage myself from being too active. I have the good sense to not trust my feelings on the market most of the time. The majority of my trades are intended to keep my portfolio balanced between a half dozen ETFs I like, perhaps shifting focus away or into sectors I like, but never straying far from the middle. I try to channel inner Tuco Tuco when investing.

Having access to more options isn't necessarily a positive. My 'play' account, which is less than 10% of my roth's value, is at Fidelity. I mostly view it as my working bank account, as I try to keep my actual savings account as low at all times as possible. My 401k is neither, and for that I'm sad.

ditto - all my pre tax retirement is in vanguards targeted retirement funds and I don't touch em or look at them

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>

I'm 100% in index funds. Gotta ride ALL the fences

• 1To the Moon!
  • 1Like
  • 1Tendies
Reactions: 2 users

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Great thread worth reading. Something I have touched on a few times here. When investing in funds you should always look at the fund's turnover rate. A high rate of churn means returns are being eaten up by taxes and transaction fees. It's something that doesn't get discussed enough when people talk about the ARK funds. The tax burden she is producing by day trading.

• 3Like

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
Great thread worth reading. Something I have touched on a few times here. When investing in funds you should always look at the fund's turnover rate. A high rate of churn means returns are being eaten up by taxes and transaction fees. It's something that doesn't get discussed enough when people talk about the ARK funds. The tax burden she is producing by day trading.

So, deferring your taxes by holding and not selling creates something of a tax loan which adds money to the pot, compounds, and you end up w more money in the end.

I’ve never thought of it that way, but it’s true.

• 1Tendies
Reactions: 1 user

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
So, deferring your taxes by holding and not selling creates something of a tax loan which adds money to the pot, compounds, and you end up w more money in the end.

I’ve never thought of it that way, but it’s true.
Yep. This is why ETF fund churn is critical. Let's say an ETF has 100 stocks in it and has a 50% turnover rate. Over the year it churns half of its positions. Everyone of those transactions is taxed if it's profitable. All that tax is paid off thebrop which guts investor returns. Compare this to an ETF with a 10% turnover rate. Over 20 or 30 years the tax savings compound.

It's OK to trade. You just have to allow for the taxes paid and adjust your required return on the next trade accordingly. Incrementally it gets harder and harder to beat just holding. The real caveat that Buffett mentions is that the holding has to be really really good to sustain value over the years.

Il_Duce Lightning Lord Rule

Lightning Fast
<Charitable Administrator>
Had this vid pop up in my youtube recommendations based on some other stuff I watched. It's Michael Burry's latest moves (Christian Bale in the Big Short):

Might be worth emulating? This type of thing is way over my head though.

Edaw

Parody
<Gold Donor>
Dow under 30k before the end of the month? Pre-election territory?

You get what you deserve.
May 12th. Not saying I'm right but I'm right.

I see ETH < 1k and BTC < 25k, with a big dip tonight and tomorrow. Going to be a lot of action tonight and markets are going to show down before open, so panic.

All of bidens fuckups are catching up with him and erasing trumps gains.

It's too late to sell so wait for the buy. Hodl.

tenor.gif

Khane

Got something right about marriage
I know a lot of you General Forum warriors like to pretend Wall Street gives a shit who's in the White House. But they don't. Because they're all in bed together.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Hmmm

Lets be real, crypto coins are 99% scams and nothing more than people trying to make a quick buck. You go on any listing and its flooded with endless amounts of shitcoins that will never amount to anything.
I know a lot of you General Forum warriors like to pretend Wall Street gives a shit who's in the White House. But they don't. Because they're all in bed together.
Sure, until youre someone who says their business strategy(importing endless labor and offshoring as much as possible) is bad for America.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Sure, until youre someone who says their business strategy(importing endless labor and offshoring as much as possible) is bad for America.
lol what did the orange retard do to stop offshoring? Literal nothing.
Ask your defense stocks if they like having Biden in the WH over Trump. I know mine sure do.
Gotta fight literal UFOs now. At least the orange retard got the Space Force up and running.

• 1Moron
  • 1Picard
Reactions: 1 users

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
I still remember checking the paper for the stock prices. I look back now and think, "holy fuck, I got to see today's stock prices the next fucking day". So much has changed in terms of information availability.

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
lol what did the orange retard do to stop offshoring? Literal nothing.

Gotta fight literal UFOs now. At least the orange retard got the Space Force up and running.
Come on now use your 146 iq and try harder on your next post.

• 2Moron
  • 1Truth!