Investing General Discussion

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
I still remember checking the paper for the stock prices. I look back now and think, "holy fuck, I got to see today's stock prices the next fucking day". So much has changed in terms of information availability.

Tax law reflects these times. Why does the government always suck at changing w the times?

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
It’s off it’s meds. Medicated Mist and off-the-reservation Mist posts are immediately obvious.
I haven't been on any meds since that brief period I was on Ritalin in the 8th grade.

• 1Moron
  • 1Pants on Fire!
Reactions: 1 users

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole
I still remember checking the paper for the stock prices. I look back now and think, "holy fuck, I got to see today's stock prices the next fucking day". So much has changed in terms of information availability.

Now tell us about the time you used to get your stock prices via carrier pigeon

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Exxon stock price was not only in the local paper and WSJ we subscribed to as a kid the price was on the local news each day. Long long ago the price was on a little sign at the refinery at the office on site. They took that down and someone told me it was removed because it lead to workers cutting safety corners lol.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Now tell us about the time you used to get your stock prices via carrier pigeon
Hate all you want junior, but consider when I was a kid, in school we were taught to actually read this shit and got to make "stock picks" and have contests for the best performers. Unlike you kids today who go to school to learn there are more than two genders and that Orange Man Bad. :trollface:

• 1Worf
  • 1Like

Blazin

Creative Title
<Nazi Janitors>
AT&T was my first stock and I remember checking the paper for the prices. Early 90s . I think I had to pay $30 fee for the trade.

• 1Solidarity

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Don't recall how many shares pretty sure it was under 100. I think it was a $17-18 stock at the time but I was poor.
The olden days was so rigged against us poors. Assymetrical info, transaction fees, odd-lot fees, account minimums, no DRIPS, transaction minimums, no mutuals or ETFs. When people bitch about Wallstreet today, they have no idea how far we have come in helping out the non-wealthy build wealth.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Blazin

Creative Title
<Nazi Janitors>
The olden days was so rigged against us poors. Assymetrical info, transaction fees, odd-lot fees, account minimums, no DRIPS, transaction minimums, no mutuals or ETFs. When people bitch about Wallstreet today, they have no idea how far we have come in helping out the non-wealthy build wealth.

I remember when finishing my degree sitting at Merrill Lynch (97-98) and a broker telling me these new e brokers would never make it. That sit down changed my career, they seemed so sleezy to me and full of shit that despite going through school figuring I would go work for one of the big brokerages it all died that day. I'm sure glad it did.

• 4Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 4 users

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
I remember when finishing my degree sitting at Merrill Lynch (97-98) and a broker telling me these new e brokers would never make it. That sit down changed my career, they seemed so sleezy to me and full of shit that despite going through school figuring I would go work for one of the big brokerages it all died that day. I'm sure glad it did.
My aun't's second husband worked for Merrill as a broker. What a degenerate piece of shit. I have known crack dealers with a stronger moral compass.

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Four Fed speakers today. Expect at least one of them to put their dick in the dirt and say something stupid.

• 2Truth!

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
I wonder how much of the rally in Big Tech is being driven by stock buybacks?
It's riding that crypto rally.

Also, stupid fed talk can drive the market either way. Never forget the magic word of stonks go up, QE.

3tpvld.jpg

• 1Like

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
There really isnt a whole lot to buy right now. Some values might be found in Tech, but I really have enough of tech. Everything else just looks overpriced or not something I want to own.

People still eatng up that NVDA stock split tho :)

Blazin

Creative Title
<Nazi Janitors>
I have a feeling we are going to need a nice meme pic of a person in the fetal position with a s&p chart behind them at 6000 and a thought bubble of “but Michael burry was short!”

maybr add j Powell cranking the money printer for good measure

• 1Like
  • 1Worf