Investing General Discussion

Shonuff

Mr. Poopybutthole
Is that ThinkorSwim?
I am not a computer genius, so I've gone through several paid services that do my backtesting for me, and have settled on Trendbot as the best. You just get so much more information with it. I keeps me in trades other services would kick me out of. It draws the higher/lower lines, trendlines, etc. automatically. Oh, and one of the best things is that is calculates what the correct stop loss should be based on volatility. If anyone is using better software, let me know. I ran this and UltraAlgo side by side, and while UltraAlgo was accurate, Trendbot probably increased my trading accuracy 10-15% above it.

And yeah, for people not used to it, its not as easy as just following the buy/sell signal. You still have to have a basic technical analysis knowledge, and keep studying it. You blindly follow the signals and you'll get crushed. I regularly disagree with Trendbot (and pass on trades), but it does help.

It does cost $70 a month, but I can make that up in one trade.

If I could figure out how to do AI trading, I would. I know some are doing it.

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Sanrith Descartes

Von Clippowicz
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
I am not a computer genius, so I've gone through several paid services that do my backtesting for me, and have settled on Trendbot as the best. You just get so much more information with it. I keeps me in trades other services would kick me out of. It draws the higher/lower lines, trendlines, etc. automatically. Oh, and one of the best things is that is calculates what the correct stop loss should be based on volatility. If anyone is using better software, let me know. I ran this and UltraAlgo side by side, and while UltraAlgo was accurate, Trendbot probably increased my trading accuracy 10-15% above it.

And yeah, for people not used to it, its not as easy as just following the buy/sell signal. You still have to have a basic technical analysis knowledge, and keep studying it. You blindly follow the signals and you'll get crushed. I regularly disagree with Trendbot (and pass on trades), but it does help.

It does cost $70 a month, but I can make that up in one trade.

If I could figure out how to do AI trading, I would. I know some are doing it.
I dont currently do that style of trading but it's good info. Thanks.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Shonuff

Mr. Poopybutthole
I dont currently do that style of trading but it's good info. Thanks.
Np. It's not perfect, it has problems with stocks that have over 6% volatility (but so would a human). And yeah, blindly following the signal around resistance and support can end in disaster. On a stock like Tesla, you short at support and you can lose 1% quickly as it shoots up. I've never seen a stock bounce so hard off of resistance and support. At least with other stocks, you have time to end the trade if its not going to breach. Tesla will stop you out before your hands can reach the keyboard. But anyway, shorting at support, thats a long thread to cover and a big subject. I've been playing around support and resistance, made several $150 trades today that lasted a minute counting on the stock to bounce off. Like I kept repurchasing AMD 30 cents below, sold it at resistance, and when it bounced back down, rinse and repeat. Same with support (but shorted it 30 cents higher).

I program the trade as a hotkey, so I can enter whenever I want.

I've tested these programs since February, and I can attest they are worth it, as long as you delete user error (and emotion).

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Shonuff

Mr. Poopybutthole
Reviewing my trades, I made about $600 in seven minutes playing at resistance and support. Jeez. It kept struggling at resistance, I placed an OCO bracket order 30 cents below and it triggered automatically four times in about a minute. 566 shares at 30 cents profit apiece is alot. And I did the same at support at the end of the day, and when it breached support, I just held my short position.
I'm getting a little more aggressive now that I'm not in my feelings over trading 60k at once.
I think its imperative, you have to log your trades and learn from your success and failures.

Sanrith Descartes

Von Clippowicz
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
I think its imperative, you have to log your trades and learn from your success and failures.
I have an excel spreadsheet that is on like tab 37. I go back occasionally and examine the moves I was making and analyzing back during the Coronachan crash last March. Seeing those numbers and prices is still eye opening.

Sanrith Descartes

Von Clippowicz
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Notable open interest changes for August 3rd (TheFlyOnTheWall)
Monday's total option volume of 31.9 million contracts resulted in net open interest growth of 4.92 million calls and 3.79 million puts. Apple(AAPL) , Tesla (TSLA), Advanced Micro (AMD) and AMC Entertainment(AMC) saw the greatest growth. Top five new positions opened include 35k Macy's (M) Sep-21 18 calls, 22k Apple(AAPL) 8/6 weekly 146 calls, 16k Sundial Growers (SNDL) 8/13 weekly 1 calls, 15k US Steel (X) Aug-21 22 puts and 15k Apple(AAPL) 8/13 weekly 150 calls.

Sanrith Descartes

Von Clippowicz
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
BABA
Mixed earnings. Their numbers are good, just missed estimates. Lots of nice growth. Increased share buybacks by $5b. Down around 1.5% so far on the news.

1627996020635.png

Shonuff

Mr. Poopybutthole
$1,008 profit on AMD trades today in 1 hour 15 minutes on trades of 62k apiece. Blazin was right, when I review the tape, I was being too conservative about programmed profits. When I trade paper money, I have a looser style. When I trade real money, my butthole clenches a little and I get conservative. So I'm doing my real trades the same as I've practiced for months. The goal is to work up to 100k trades by the end of the year. If I did 100k trades of this, it would have been 1,612 in a little over an hour.

So I did scalp buys and shorts with preprogrammed exits, but I also caught it bouncing off of support and resistance, and that's where the big profits came in. I think the second trade of the day was 210 in a minute.

Still not feeling too hot, I had 200 from a trade made where my head wasn't clear.

I bet you could make a mint shorting in the last hour today when traders start closing their positions. I may try to hop back on, but when you make 1,008 in an hour, you have to just walk away and study. I try to spend more time studying than trading.

So, anyway, thanks Blazin.

8-3 AMDa.JPG

8-3 AMDb.JPG

• 2Like
  • 2Tendies
Reactions: 3 users

Shonuff

Mr. Poopybutthole
BABA
Mixed earnings. Their numbers are good, just missed estimates. Lots of nice growth. Increased share buybacks by $5b. Down around 1.5% so far on the news.

View attachment 365199
And yet, the price action isn't good. After the Chinese government screwed up DIDI, people are nervous. And then you have the education companies. Hell, I used to own some of those in my portfolio.

I tell my wife, I'm not holding any of those long. I'll trade them. Because anytime they move up 15%, they move back down in 24 hours in a predictable fashion.

Shonuff

Mr. Poopybutthole
Like I thought, you'd get a sell off this week due to covid (but really that's just the Market Manipulator doing his thing).

Sanrith Descartes

Von Clippowicz
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
And yet, the price action isn't good. After the Chinese government screwed up DIDI, people are nervous. And then you have the education companies. Hell, I used to own some of those in my portfolio.

I tell my wife, I'm not holding any of those long. I'll trade them. Because anytime they move up 15%, they move back down in 24 hours in a predictable fashion.
I will be out of it when it makes the next move upwards. if it takes a month or two Im fine with it.

billymain

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Yesterday august 2nd : New York State retirement fund buys around 156million of Moderna as well as 1.25m in ocugen, not sure how much on Pfizer.

today august 3rd : New York City announces vaccine mandate

well played

Attachments

• 19FA1B74-5442-4174-9732-54EC753F842A.jpeg
    19FA1B74-5442-4174-9732-54EC753F842A.jpeg
    403.7 KB · Views: 6
  • 1Worf
  • 1Like
  • 1Blown
Reactions: 3 users

Sanrith Descartes

Von Clippowicz
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Yesterday august 2nd : New York State retirement fund buys around 156million of Moderna as well as 1.25m in ocugen, not sure how much on Pfizer.

today august 3rd : New York City announces vaccine mandate

well played
No insider trading there.

• 3Worf
  • 2Like
Reactions: 4 users

Shonuff

Mr. Poopybutthole
Yeah, I stayed and traded AMD way too long today, shouldve left when I said I was going to. I totally changed my style of trading, and I need to stick with what's best for me. Or at least simulate the new syle with paper trading.