Investing General Discussion

ShakyJake

<Donor>
I'm a meager investor...the most significant amount of cash I have is invested in the Vanguard total-stock-market ETF (VTI). I don't have any major amount invested into single stocks.

Question: how do you people handle your stop losses? Do you sell some or all your position at "X" price? And when do you decide to get back in if it's triggered?

I'm trying to protect myself when and if there's a sudden market collapse. However, I'm afraid of something like a 900 point drop then it goes back up 900 the next day.

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
I'm a meager investor...the most significant amount of cash I have is invested in the Vanguard total-stock-market ETF (VTI). I don't have any major amount invested into single stocks.

Question: how do you people handle your stop losses? Do you sell some or all your position at "X" price? And when do you decide to get back in if it's triggered?

I'm trying to protect myself when and if there's a sudden market collapse. However, I'm afraid of something like a 900 point drop then it goes back up 900 the next day.
If you are talking about a long term buy and hold for the future you dont stop loss it. You just let it ride the ups and downs for the next 20 years. If you are trading/day trading, that is a different answer.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
BABA finished at $197 which is better than I expected. Hopefully tomorrow gets it back up over $200 and the march high will continue back on track. Also hopefully Iran and Cuomo move China bad news off the front page for a few days. It can use a breather.

I tried to scoop up some CLX when it got punished at the open but missed my order by about 7 cents. Will see what tomorrow brings.

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>

If I’m thinking I might leave an investment I put a stop loss that has a tightness depending on how volatile it is. Something like the s and p I’ve put it within 1% in the past, but I rarely stop loss that. Something volatile like some options I’ll sometimes put a very loose order.

I think of stop losses along the lines of “I’m looking to sell this, but maybe I’ll squeeze a little more out first.” Basically. Since I’m not looking to sell most things I have, I don’t currently have any.

ShakyJake

<Donor>
If you are talking about a long term buy and hold for the future you dont stop loss it. You just let it ride the ups and downs for the next 20 years. If you are trading/day trading, that is a different answer.
It's more like mid-term. Instead of leaving cash in the bank I'm slapping it into an ETF since the gains realized would be higher than a savings account. I'll leave it alone as long as I'm in positive territory, but if the market tanks I don't want to be in a position where it might take months or even years to recover.

Just want to mention that I'm not being stupid here and putting ALL my savings into it. Just a chunk I can do without and don't really miss, but even still I don't want it locked away for an indeterminate amount of time.

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
It's more like mid-term. Instead of leaving cash in the bank I'm slapping it into an ETF since the gains realized would be higher than a savings account. I'll leave it alone as long as I'm in positive territory, but if the market tanks I don't want to be in a position where it might take months or even years to recover.

Just want to mention that I'm not being stupid here and putting ALL my savings into it. Just a chunk I can do without and don't really miss, but even still I don't want it locked away for an indeterminate amount of time.
Then maybe look at JEPI or some other low beta fund. I mean a few months to recover from a downturn is pretty common. Or set a non-catastrophic trailing stop loss like 5-8%. It really is a tough question. Investing means you have to be ready for downturns. If you need the money in a few months then equities might not be the right place. If you need it in more than a year them yeah.

Shonuff

Mr. Poopybutthole
Look at that volume. Its got more to run (I think).

Attachments

• original_363756032.png
    original_363756032.png
    187.1 KB · Views: 22
  • 1Diamond Hands

Shonuff

Mr. Poopybutthole
$2,600 profit today. Not bad for 8 minutes work (but I did hold from last night). I am stepping out for a bit of the stock. WSB is pushing it. I've been in this over a year now, and added on the way down, and added in the 80s.

I don't do meme stocks, and this is now super volatile. Very easy to get tricked now.

8-4 AMD.JPG

Last edited:
  • 2Tendies
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Jumped back in to LMT at $363 (just under the 200-DMA). I had sold out of my original position back at $394 about a month ago so a tidy profit made.

Shonuff

Mr. Poopybutthole
This is trading just off momentum now. Was just at 118.5. Remember the price target is 12 months from now. I'd try to short it, but wallstreetbets is pushing it. You can't really short it for more than a few minutes.

So I've been holding this a year and trading it, but I'm completely out and waiting for a pullback. At least reddit got a good company right for once, instead of GME or AMC.

Attachments

• AMD Tipranks.JPG
    AMD Tipranks.JPG
    304.6 KB · Views: 4
  • 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
HOOD up over 40%, bet vlad regrets selling now. About a 200 million difference so far
He had to sell to exercise the free shares he had coming most likely. Doubt he regrets a thing.

• 1Like

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
BABA busted through the 10-DMA resistance and is now trying for the 20-DMA overhead at $203.83. It it can beat it then its pretty clear back up to the 50-DMA at $211