Investing General Discussion

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I can't let this be any sort of emotion or need. I just have to hit the arrow at the target, and make the best shot I can.

I'm just learning how to calm down.
I have a couple required reading I recommend before actively day trading.

Think you can also listen free on YouTube.

and

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Shonuff

Mr. Poopybutthole
I'll check those out. This one helps me tremendously. I didn't realize how I was fucked in the head until I listened to this.

• 1Like

Shonuff

Mr. Poopybutthole
I got the email confirmation but i dont see how to input a password for the account. It just says sign in with the email address?
Can't remember, is been awhile.

If you navigate through the site, you can see every alert he's ever taken and grade them. He doesn't delete them off if he makes a mistake. When he does a video, listen closely for hints on trades. If you listen, he'll tell you to short something, or get prepped.

Rangoth

Blackwing Lair Raider
Question for folks, I tried to read up on it but I couldn't find a clear answer.

I own some stock of Company A, and it is currently trading at 4.15$ or so. The company is doing a buyback offer for 4.50$

My question is: Can I just buy 5000 shares right now and then sell them back at the 4.50$ price for instant profit? It seems too easy or too good to be true, but when Fidelity sent the offer I couldn't find anything on "must have owned since" or whatever...

Sanrith Descartes

Von Clippowicz
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Question for folks, I tried to read up on it but I couldn't find a clear answer.

I own some stock of Company A, and it is currently trading at 4.15$ or so. The company is doing a buyback offer for 4.50$

My question is: Can I just buy 5000 shares right now and then sell them back at the 4.50$ price for instant profit? It seems too easy or too good to be true, but when Fidelity sent the offer I couldn't find anything on "must have owned since" or whatever...
Without knowing any details, there should be an "owner of record date" included some place. Otherwise someone would have pounced on the arbitrage condition almost immediately. This happens frequently with SPACs on their share redemption offers.

• 1Like

Shonuff

Mr. Poopybutthole
I have a couple required reading I recommend before actively day trading.

Think you can also listen free on YouTube.

and

Audio version OK? I like to lay in bed or take a walk in the park and listen.

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Audio version OK? I like to lay in bed or take a walk in the park and listen.
Trading in the Zone is great for audiobook. In fact, I signed up for a free trial of Audible and you're given a freebie and I took this.

Trade Mindfully has some charting examples and encourages you to work through some exercises. Probably best grabbing the paperback for that one.

Both are top notch in addressing the emotional / mental side of trading.

Shonuff

Mr. Poopybutthole
Both are top notch in addressing the emotional / mental side of trading.
That's what I need. Back when I first started, I almost shit my pants. I wish someone had told me to do paper trading in the beginning :(.

I don't get nervous now. Trading 70k a trade, but I need to work my way up. For my way of trading, since I'm scalping for pennies, I need to be trading larger amounts.

Sanrith Descartes

Von Clippowicz
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
I recall mentioning a while back that new traders should spend time practicing on paper before trading (especially options). The feedback wasn't overly positive. Just jumping in with real money was the preferred method. :)

Shonuff

Mr. Poopybutthole
I recall mentioning a while back that new traders should spend time practicing on paper before trading (especially options). The feedback wasn't overly positive. Just jumping in with real money was the preferred method. :)
When I first started trading, I picked the most volatile stocks, didn't have stop losses, and tried to trade eight at once. I traded from pre market all the way to post market.

Interesting result.

Even when I went to paper trading, emotions went rampant, because I didn't allow myself to lose ever. That's fine for scalping (since I win 90% of my scalps), but anytime I changed strategy in paper trading and lost, I'd be depressed and lose sleep.

I didn't realize I had emotional baggage until I started trading. What a humbling experience.

Sanrith Descartes

Von Clippowicz
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
When I first started trading, I picked the most volatile stocks, didn't have stop losses, and tried to trade eight at once. I traded from pre market all the way to post market.

Interesting result.

Even when I went to paper trading, emotions went rampant, because I didn't allow myself to lose ever. That's fine for scalping (since I win 90% of my scalps), but anytime I changed strategy in paper trading and lost, I'd be depressed and lose sleep.

I didn't realize I had emotional baggage until I started trading. What a humbling experience.
Practicing on paper let me learn what I was doing right and what I was doing wrong. It also helped me see that I do best when I stay in my lane. I avoid stocks in sectors I have no knowledge of in general and accept that my ideas have to evolve with the market. I used to be really bad at this because I kept trading on how things "should" work and not how things "actually" work. Now, I don't fight the tide and I take what the market gives me.

• 1Like

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Each their own honestly, I tried paper trading for a month and felt nothing. No matter how much I mimic'd my real trade plan, it felt like a video game with zero consequence. Trading 1k share blocks scaling in and out = zero emotion. Then going live and trading with 100-200 share size I was an emotional wreck, despite the fact any losses trading that small were absolutely inconsequential to my account balance. For me, the paper trading was great to learn hotkeys and get familiar with certain trade plans, but the only thing that truly prepared me emotionally was real trading, however small, and time in front of the screen / in the trade seat.

That's not to say I do not recommend paper trading, quite the contrary. My advice is that no matter how proficient you get at it, your real life trade emotions are another thing altogether. Be prepared for that! Those books I linked were a godsend. Take time to read those, no matter your trading style. The mindset is crucial.

Sanrith Descartes

Von Clippowicz
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
CI hit $210 today...

Dance Dancing GIF by The Dude Perfect Show

• 1Like

Shonuff

Mr. Poopybutthole
Each their own honestly, I tried paper trading for a month and felt nothing. No matter how much I mimic'd my real trade plan, it felt like a video game with zero consequence. Trading 1k share blocks scaling in and out = zero emotion. Then going live and trading with 100-200 share size I was an emotional wreck, despite the fact any losses trading that small were absolutely inconsequential to my account balance. For me, the paper trading was great to learn hotkeys and get familiar with certain trade plans, but the only thing that truly prepared me emotionally was real trading, however small, and time in front of the screen / in the trade seat.

That's not to say I do not recommend paper trading, quite the contrary. My advice is that no matter how proficient you get at it, your real life trade emotions are another thing altogether. Be prepared for that! Those books I linked were a godsend. Take time to read those, no matter your trading style. The mindset is crucial.
I traded with 100k on paper, so I could numb myself to doing it in real life.

Sanrith Descartes

Von Clippowicz
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
PLTR doing PLTR things today. -3% on no news. Part of me wants to bank all the profit I have on this and another part of me knows the minute I sell it will become the new GOOG and shoot to $1000.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
PLTR doing PLTR things today. -3% on no news. Part of me wants to bank all the profit I have on this and another part of me knows the minute I sell it will become the new GOOG and shoot to $1000.
Sell it pls

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 1 users

TheBeagle

JunkiesNetwork Donor
Bought a chunk of ETHE at $16.50 a couple weeks ago. Paper handsing the fuck out of 80% of it today.

• 1Tendies