Investing General Discussion

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Last part of my Mom's estate finished resolving, so I've got a $20k chunk of cash sitting in my brokerage. I know I should just dump it into the market all at once, but a paranoid bit in the back of my head just wants to DCA it over the next 2-3 months in case the government gets stupid over flu season.

Shonuff

Mr. Poopybutthole
So the traders will push AMD to 120, assuming that China is going to approve the deal, since they just approved Maxim and Analog today.

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Last part of my Mom's estate finished resolving, so I've got a $20k chunk of cash sitting in my brokerage. I know I should just dump it into the market all at once, but a paranoid bit in the back of my head just wants to DCA it over the next 2-3 months in case the government gets stupid over flu season.

If you're doing indexes then I'd just DCA it in, they're pretty high this year already as far as % return so I see them trading slightly up with some chop inbetween that will get you some good buy ins.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole
NCLH calls up nearly 50% already. Got till Oct expiration, so happy to sit and wait for more travel sector rotation inflows.

Markets are definitely forward looking through this.

Whats your price target? I have the Sept 17 25& calls so I'll probably sell if it hits 25.50-26.50. If it gaps up I'll just set a stop loss then.

Sanrith Descartes

Von Clippowicz
<Gaming Ghost>
With markets where they are it's a crapshoot. Maybe try selling a put or two on something reasonably priced like ITOT at a close to the money strike. You get the index at a discount if assigned or you get the premium then rinse/repeat if not assigned.

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole
I'm selling at 30+ (the stocks, not the options).

When do you think it'll hit 30? If you look at the yearly chart its forming a massive head and shoulder pattern, but looks like the right shoulder still has a little consolidation left before breaking out. But covid and reopening news could obviously speed or slow it down.

Shonuff

Mr. Poopybutthole
When do you think it'll hit 30? If you look at the yearly chart its forming a massive head and shoulder pattern, but looks like the right shoulder still has a little consolidation left before breaking out. But covid and reopening news could obviously speed or slow it down.
Tecnicals mean jackshit on news. If you listened to technicals, you would have missed the trade today. Sometimes, you have to go with your gut.

I'm holding 45 days unless other news comes out. Like the vaccine isn't working, or another stronger variant. Or it gets to 30+.

Last edited:

Shonuff

Mr. Poopybutthole
Don't doubt the headline on CNBC that "Covid Cases are Turning Over in the Worst States in the US" and the power that statement has on the markets. Mike Santoli just said this. And Josh Brown just said the recovery stock correction is just about over (and ripping higher).

Sanrith Descartes

Von Clippowicz
<Gaming Ghost>
Been trying to find something to do with my cash. To be honest, rolling out lots of cash covered puts on SPY/QQQ etc is a pretty large amount of liquidity and I aint got that much free. Part of me thinks the SPLG is the ticket (S&P 500) but it has two downsides. The options aren't super liquid and it has stocks I abhor (FB/GOOG etc). The other option is to go with the XLK. Little more liquid and lacks the Comm Sector stocks. Downside here is that its only got 77 stocks and AAPL/MSFT make up 42% of the ETF. Since I persoanlly love AAPL and MSFT that may be the way I end up going.

I am open to other ideas. I dont want individual stocks because if I do get assigned I am fine holding the ETFs long term through a down cycle.

• 1Like

Sanrith Descartes

Von Clippowicz
<Gaming Ghost>
BABA +2% on the day.

Pop Tv Reaction GIF by Schitt's Creek

• 1Worf

Shonuff

Mr. Poopybutthole
Been trying to find something to do with my cash. To be honest, rolling out lots of cash covered puts on SPY/QQQ etc is a pretty large amount of liquidity and I aint got that much free. Part of me thinks the SPLG is the ticket (S&P 500) but it has two downsides. The options aren't super liquid and it has stocks I abhor (FB/GOOG etc). The other option is to go with the XLK. Little more liquid and lacks the Comm Sector stocks. Downside here is that its only got 77 stocks and AAPL/MSFT make up 42% of the ETF. Since I persoanlly love AAPL and MSFT that may be the way I end up going.

I am open to other ideas. I dont want individual stocks because if I do get assigned I am fine holding the ETFs long term through a down cycle.
JETS

Shonuff

Mr. Poopybutthole
Interesting that Cramer told us to buy MA last week because of Pfizer approval. He says we aren't traders, but hints that it was a trade. You have to listen to his tricky hedge fund wordage.

• 1Like

Shonuff

Mr. Poopybutthole
Adding some Nucor (NUE) before it gets too far out of grasp. Will be something I hold onto for years.

Last edited:

Shonuff

Mr. Poopybutthole
LOL, China is taking board seats on their tech companies, pretty much making them government owned.