Investing General Discussion

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Invest in yourself. If you’re actually a good artist, put that $1000 into materials or joining diff orgs that can let you meet people.

Paint shit, put it in restaurants, build shit, throw it in your yard, do whatever you can to get exposure.

If you’re depressed this will be near impossible. So snap out of it, move against everything within yourself that says do nothing and masturbate. Do what you’re good at and show it off. Sell it. Make money. Rinse/repeat.
This. Invest the money in yourself. Most states setting up an LLC including the name advertising requirement is under $500. Take that 1k and start there.

Arden

Blackwing Lair Raider
SPAC question: I'm evaluating a few newer SPACs for investment and I know we look for:

1. Early entry- less than $11
2. Well-known sponsors with a history of success
3. SPACs that are looking to attach to a sector we like (tech, healthcare, transportation, etc)

But how much does the IPO size factor into our consideration? Bigger is better? I like this SPAC, but the IPO was pretty small- 176m. That matter much?

Locnar

<Bronze Donator>
Yea I make decent unemployment but it's gonna run out. I'm in mass

If you are in Mass you have been making way more than most states with unemployment. 1400ish per WEEK in the late spring and summer, 1100ish a week in August, 800ish a week for the rest of the year and now into 2021 you should be getting 1100ish a week until the end of March.

Then if Biden has his way they will continue that 1100ish a week from now until September 2021 lol.

I'm sure Food Stamps are very generous in MASS too.

Basically you (and MANY others) have been making more for months and months on unemployment than most people on min wage or even above min. wage.

I told this forum these things last year when I was VERY bullish going into covid, I knew a ton of people were going to see even more money on unemployment than they did working. Wtf did you all think all this WSB money came from? That and student loans (that they want the democrats to now forgive, lulz).

Last edited:

Locnar

<Bronze Donator>
Paid vacation = drop of 50k/ year income?

paid vacation = not working but still getting paid.

For Jozu he is in one of the top states for unemployment, I think only WA state pays more. I just double checked, max benefit in MASS is 855 per week. Then you get to add the extra the fed government has been putting into it which varied from a high of extra 600 per week ($1455 per WEEK) to 300 per week ($1155, which is what it is currently). I need to up the numbers in my estimate in the earlier post).

I mentioned before for a lot of workers who made far less actually working, getting this kind of money changes them. Changes their psyche. Its going to be brutally hard to go back to making 9 dollars a hour when you've been making way more than that sitting home for the last 15 months.

Last edited:

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
SPAC question: I'm evaluating a few newer SPACs for investment and I know we look for:

1. Early entry- less than $11
2. Well-known sponsors with a history of success
3. SPACs that are looking to attach to a sector we like (tech, healthcare, transportation, etc)

But how much does the IPO size factor into our consideration? Bigger is better? I like this SPAC, but the IPO was pretty small- 176m. That matter much?
I tend to avoid the very small ones as it limits the acquisition target to very small/micro companies and I think those will be less appealing and have less chance of heading toward $20.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
This. Invest the money in yourself. Most states setting up an LLC including the name advertising requirement is under $500. Take that 1k and start there.

Just go online and do it yourself at your states website for the cost of your time and a $50 fee.

In GA it’s $25.

Cupcaek

Molten Core Raider
paid vacation = not working but still getting paid.

For Jozu he is in one of the top states for unemployment, I think only WA state pays more. I just double checked, max benefit in MASS is 855 per week. Then you get to add the extra the fed government has been putting into it which varied from a high of extra 600 per week ($1455 per WEEK) to 300 per week ($1155, which is what it is currently). I need to up the numbers in my estimate in the earlier post).

I mentioned before for a lot of workers who made far less actually working, getting this kind of money changes them. Changes their psyche. Its going to be brutally hard to go back to making 9 dollars a hour when you've been making way more than that sitting home for the last 15 months.
Live in MA, been on unemployment making that 1155 a week to watch tv and play everquest recently is nice. I know so many people getting the same, has put so much liquid cash into peoples hands that as you said has allowed this WSB thing to really take off.

• 1Like

Khane

Got something right about marriage
If you are in Mass you have been making way more than most states with unemployment. 1400ish per WEEK in the late spring and summer, 1100ish a week in August, 800ish a week for the rest of the year and now into 2021 you should be getting 1100ish a week until the end of March.

Then if Biden has his way they will continue that 1100ish a week from now until September 2021 lol.

I'm sure Food Stamps are very generous in MASS too.

Basically you (and MANY others) have been making more for months and months on unemployment than most people on min wage or even above min. wage.

I told this forum these things last year when I was VERY bullish going into covid, I knew a ton of people were going to see even more money on unemployment than they did working. Wtf did you all think all this WSB money came from? That and student loans (that they want the democrats to now forgive, lulz).

Can we keep this idiotic, drooling political drivel out of this thread?

• 1Like

Locnar

<Bronze Donator>
Can we keep this idiotic, drooling political drivel out of this thread?

Its very relevant you dummy. Where do you think the WSB retail money is coming from? Go back a year and see my posts saying why the unemployment numbers did not mean shit, since most those people were going to have more disposable income than they had before they lost their jobs.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Yes, its very relevant.

"Oh you're making 1/3rd of what you were by collecting unemployment? What are you complaining about? You should live it up and take a European vacation!"

Perfectly relevant for the investing thread.

Leave that shit in the politics thread.

• 1Salty

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
Invest in yourself.

Seconded. If the goal is actually to build wealth, even an absurd 400% annual return on $1000 is going to pale in comparison to what you can get with labor. Investing isn't worth your time to think about at this scale if it defers earned income. (If it's just for fun in your spare time, then whatever.) Figure out the next steady source of earned income and set your lifestyle so you're running a surplus. Then start investing.

Locnar

<Bronze Donator>
Yes, its very relevant.

"Oh you're making 1/3rd of what you were by collecting unemployment? What are you complaining about? You should live it up and take a European vacation!"

Perfectly relevant for the investing thread.

Leave that shit in the politics thread.

You are too dense to understand the stock market implications of the covid relief bills I see.

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
Seconded. If the goal is actually to build wealth, even an absurd 400% annual return on $1000 is going to pale in comparison to what you can get with labor. Investing isn't worth your time to think about at this scale if it defers earned income. (If it's just for fun in your spare time, then whatever.) Figure out the next steady source of earned income and set your lifestyle so you're running a surplus. Then start investing.

Compounding returns win in the end. The smart path is putting away what you can without sacrificing the now. I've been a diligent saver, and by sticking that 1000$ into the market enough times for the past 20 years, I've gotten to the point where my retirement often goes up faster than I earn money. It takes time, but compounding interest wins in the end. I don't want to be one of those slouches who works till 70 and dies a week into retirement.

• 1Like

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
Golden rule:

Unless you are maxing out your pre tax retirements you have no business with a post tax investing account.

• 3Like
  • 2Solidarity
Reactions: 4 users

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Just go online and do it yourself at your states website for the cost of your time and a $50 fee.

In GA it’s $25.
I included the cost of the 6-week advertising in the total cost. Most places require two different periodicals. That ran me almost $200 alone here.