Investing General Discussion

Rabkorik

Silver Knight of the Realm
I would agree with Blazin on the HSA part being the only consideration but I think I'm on the other side. It can potentially be a very powerful investing tool. I end up maxing mine every year and just keep enough in the non-invested side to cover the deductible if ever necessary.

For reference:

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
What's going on with SAII? Unlike the other SPACs I have, it hasn't been moving. Got it about a week ago and it hasn't budged much from 11.00. Is the Otonomo merger too far away for people to be jumping onboard... or did I invest too late? It's concerning to see no activity around one SPAC while the others all seem to be gathering support by the day.
There had been a certain unrealistic expectation concerning SPACs lately. The ones that explode upwards are the exception and not the rule. This is one reason I only look to buy SPACs that either have a Founder team I like or a merger partner I like. If the stock stays flat but I like the company I am fine with it as a possible long term investment.

Aorin

Molten Core Raider
The notes for that page say

"The only reason that the HSA is #4 on this list is because many people simply don't qualify for it. However, if you do qualify for it, I'd move it to #2 - right behind taking advantage of your employer's match."

It doesn't make much sense to max your 401k(Non-Roth) or a traditional IRA before your HSA. You can use your HSA exactly the same way as the 401k/IRA(After 65 vs 59.5) in retirement with the other bonuses that come with it. If you are contributing to a company HSA and the investments suck, roll it over once a year to Fidelity or somewhere(One 60 day rollover allowed per year).

It also doesn't list Mega Backdoor Roth, so check to see if your 401k allows it. This one allows me to max my Tax-Deferred 401k, plus roll another 10% of my income into my Roth IRA every year. This is a giant loophole that I can't believe exists.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Locnar

<Bronze Donator>
Question for you nerds.

My current job's 401k is moving to Fidelity where I have my 401k from back at General Motors. Can I roll them together at this point or is some other event required?

You could of always rolled them together.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
You could of always rolled them together.
Yep. I’ve rolled a couple of times. It’s pretty simple, call company A and request a rollover check made out to company B. Send to company B and authorize it, that’s it. I did it with my sons 529 this year and that was the same process except it required me to go to a bank to have some bank notary stamp it before I sent it. I’m guessing having both at the same brokerage will make the whole process extremely simple.

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Yep. I’ve rolled a couple of times. It’s pretty simple, call company A and request a rollover check made out to company B. Send to company B and authorize it, that’s it. I did it with my sons 529 this year and that was the same process except it required me to go to a bank to have some bank notary stamp it before I sent it. I’m guessing having both at the same brokerage will make the whole process extremely simple.

It's even easier than that in most cases. I just gave Fidelity the account number of the other 401k and they took it from there. Just go to the transfer funds section online

• 1Like

Locnar

<Bronze Donator>

One more thing to add (which i've mentioned before) when it comes to this. Companies will pay you MONEY to roll it over. A friend rolled his IRA to Meryl and they a) paid ALL associated fees involved and b) deposited something like $1500ish into his account as a bonus. Only stipulation was he had to keep with them for like six months or something. We are talking about a 600ish or so K account.

edit: And this was a huge pain in the ass transfer (for him and them) too. He had all his shit in a mix of old IRA and for some unearthly reason a ton of random stocks in sharebuilders and computershare which charged outrageous fees to transfer each stock, and each stock required a seperate form to fill out. Was a huge pain in the ass but Myerril backpaid for all the individual transfer fees.

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Simple warning. Under no circumstances take possession of the funds. Best option is always to have the broker handle the transaction. Take possession means have the funds issued to you (ie.. check made out to you). IRS can flag this as a disbursement.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
The notes for that page say

"The only reason that the HSA is #4 on this list is because many people simply don't qualify for it. However, if you do qualify for it, I'd move it to #2 - right behind taking advantage of your employer's match."

It doesn't make much sense to max your 401k(Non-Roth) or a traditional IRA before your HSA. You can use your HSA exactly the same way as the 401k/IRA(After 65 vs 59.5) in retirement with the other bonuses that come with it. If you are contributing to a company HSA and the investments suck, roll it over once a year to Fidelity or somewhere(One 60 day rollover allowed per year).

It also doesn't list Mega Backdoor Roth, so check to see if your 401k allows it. This one allows me to max my Tax-Deferred 401k, plus roll another 10% of my income into my Roth IRA every year. This is a giant loophole that I can't believe exists.
401K->Roth Rollover is taxed as income. My job lets me roll 100% of my 401k into my roth ever year, but with the tax implications it doesn't make much sense. I've mentioned before my plan to have a few years with 0 income early in retirement, and using those years to roll over chunks of my 401k into roth in the low tax brackets. It's a strategy to be aware of, but plenty of times it doesn't make sense.

If you're a high earner, rollovers to roth IRAs ignore the typical roth income restrictions, though.

Aorin

Molten Core Raider
401K->Roth Rollover is taxed as income. My job lets me roll 100% of my 401k into my roth ever year, but with the tax implications it doesn't make much sense. I've mentioned before my plan to have a few years with 0 income early in retirement, and using those years to roll over chunks of my 401k into roth in the low tax brackets. It's a strategy to be aware of, but plenty of times it doesn't make sense.

If you're a high earner, rollovers to roth IRAs ignore the typical roth income restrictions, though.
I am talking about 401k After Tax -> Roth IRA Rollover. Mega Backdoor Roth

Depending on how your 401k works, you may be able to roll the gains into a regular IRA and the contributions to your Roth IRA and pay no taxes - two checks. Mine only sends me one check so I have to pay taxes on the gains. They show up on my 1099-R. I do the rollover 6-7 times a year to minimize the amount of gains I have in the after tax portion of my 401k.

Heres how you enter it in TurboTax:

Last edited:

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Simple warning. Under no circumstances take possession of the funds. Best option is always to have the broker handle the transaction. Take possession means have the funds issued to you (ie.. check made out to you). IRS can flag this as a disbursement.
I know, they made it out to the other company. There were sections for what you wanted to do, spelled out pretty plainly. Fill out this section if rolling over, with instructions. Fill out this section if issuing to yourself as a distribution, etc. The paperwork had big tax warnings about issuing it to yourself too.

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
I know some folks here also mentioned HSAs so what would be the the best order of operations in which to min/max various pretax accounts (401K, IRA, HSA, etc.)?

The order below makes sense but wanted to get a separate opinion.

View attachment 333528

man I need to look into a sep ira to max more. We have a simple IRA set up for us and our employees, but it looks like we'd be able to put so much more into a sep ira.

Any accountant know if draws count as compensation when it comes to the sep? We're an llc filing as an s-corp so a lot of our income is in the form of draws.

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
I think depends on age and what kind of savings level. If someone is making a lot of money and is young and follows that list they will find themselves very retirement account rich and unable to retire early without penalty. For anyone who has a long way to go but over 40yrs old looks pretty spot on. HSA is the only part that I think is subjective in that people with Cadillac plans it’s complete unnecessary .

I would normally recommend skipping 5 and going to 6 to give you more financial flexibility with what happens with that wealth

Did I miss the list you’re referring to somewhere? I looked back a few pages and couldn’t find a list anywhere.

[edit] NM, was hidden behind ignored user, lol.

• 1Like

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
I think depends on age and what kind of savings level. If someone is making a lot of money and is young and follows that list they will find themselves very retirement account rich and unable to retire early without penalty. For anyone who has a long way to go but over 40yrs old looks pretty spot on. HSA is the only part that I think is subjective in that people with Cadillac plans it’s complete unnecessary .

I would normally recommend skipping 5 and going to 6 to give you more financial flexibility with what happens with that wealth
This is our situation. But you can do a Roth conversion ladder to kind of "fix" it. It requires that your expenses aren't too high though, because you only have about $95k as a married filing jointly in income you can draw (which means actual expenses plus the conversion, which should also be an entire year of expenses).

So we're going into it with hopefully 4+ years in our taxable account, and about a year in cash. Since a Roth conversion takes 5 years to mature, it then becomes a never ending effort to convert enough money to live off of 5 years in the future.

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
If someone is making a lot of money and is young and follows that list they will find themselves very retirement account rich and unable to retire early without penalty.

This is an interesting thought, as I've been prioritizing tax-advantaged savings since an early age. I just checked and about 30% of my investment assets are in retirement accounts. I'm assuming that's not a high enough fraction to cause problems if we should decide to retire before 65. (Fortunately for us, we're in a financial position to do so whenever we can shift our housing situation to an area not inflated by school districts. In ~12 years when our youngest is out of high school and we know exactly what the family secondary education costs will be, we'll give it serious thought. #firstworldproblems, I know.)

AladainAF

Best Rabbit
<Gold Donor>
I would agree with Blazin on the HSA part being the only consideration but I think I'm on the other side. It can potentially be a very powerful investing tool. I end up maxing mine every year and just keep enough in the non-invested side to cover the deductible if ever necessary.

For reference:

Another overlooked is a 529. But HSAs are amazing as well.

Blazin

Creative Title
<Nazi Janitors>
This is an interesting thought, as I've been prioritizing tax-advantaged savings since an early age. I just checked and about 30% of my investment assets are in retirement accounts. I'm assuming that's not a high enough fraction to cause problems if we should decide to retire before 65. (Fortunately for us, we're in a financial position to do so whenever we can shift our housing situation to an area not inflated by school districts. In ~12 years when our youngest is out of high school and we know exactly what the family secondary education costs will be, we'll give it serious thought. #firstworldproblems, I know.)

30% is fine, at one point I was near 80%. I have worked that down to almost 50/50 now which gives me some freedom. Wife wants to work a bit more so we aren't yet having to live on investment income alone. I always max our retirement accounts but have definitely saved a large junk outside over the last 6 yrs or so. Most financial advice is given from the perspective of not expecting people to actually achieve it, knowing that most American's saving rate is abysmal. Just will suck for people wanting to retire at 45 and find they are millions with nothing but their house outside of protected accounts they are another 15yrs from being able to draw on.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Khane

Got something right about marriage
The way I think about it is this.

I will likely be able to retire at 45, but as mentioned previously drawing from my retirement accounts would be counterproductive. Instead, I plan to "semi-retire". Meaning I will probably try to find a job as a ranger or starter at a golf course that also includes membership or heavy discounts at said golf course.

I am already debt free, including owning my house outright, have secondary income in the form of rent since the house is a multi-family and could potentially semi-retire right now at 38. However, I'd like to enjoy my current lifestyle without having to pinch my belt so to speak here and there.

So that's basically it. Remove all debt, have enough money in savings you could work a menial job you enjoy, perhaps with fringe benefits, and just live that way as "retirement" until I can actually draw on my retirement without penalty.

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
I should also point out that people focus way too much on the penalty for early withdrawal. Like, yes, it sucks writing a check to the government, but the penalty is just 10%.

If it means working an extra 5 years because you're afraid of the penalty, you're essentially sacrificing years of your life you never get back for a 10% tax. 10% is a pretty low tax all things considered. You're essentially talking about the lowest marginal rate.

I'm all for reducing your taxes as much as possible (I plan to pay 0% in retirement, hence why I'm moving to FL), but I also hate working enough that it's not worth killing myself over. Shit, I could also just work another couple months and probably cover that 10% in perpetuity.

• 4Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 4 users