Investing General Discussion

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Shorting does have its place, like buying puts. But short sellers haven't done the math. If you're shorting a 100$ stock, your potential profit is only ever going to be 100$ a share, but if that stock goes up to 500$ you're now down 400$ a share on a 100$ share stock. I swear short sellers are just doing it for the adrenaline.
This. Selling stock short has unlimited downside risk. Writing puts the max loss is if the stock goes to zero. Write a $15 strike put and your max loss is $15 a share if the stock goes to zero. This is one reason I wont write puts out beyond a month or so. Writing them on SPACs is just amazing because they cant go to zero with the Nav floor being $10.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Fogel Fogel There is some nice money to be had rolling the 2/19 CCIV puts into March.

1612903511137.png

Pogi.G

Silver Baronet of the Realm
I go long about 99% of the time. I used to short fairly often because tickers would do what they were supposed to do, but in this clown market, stupid tickers go up for no reason. Lucklin Coffee and Hertz comes to mind.

One short I am sure of is Tesla. I just wish I had the capital to do it. Tesla's market cap is higher than the next 12ish car companies combined. It's popularity has it waaaaaaay over valued, and when that bubble finally pops, people are going to be left holding some seriously big fuckin bags. Just my 2 cents...

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
I go long about 99% of the time. I used to short fairly often because tickers would do what they were supposed to do, but in this clown market, stupid tickers go up for no reason. Lucklin Coffee and Hertz comes to mind.

One short I am sure of is Tesla. I just wish I had the capital to do it. Tesla's market cap is higher than the next 12ish car companies combined. It's popularity has it waaaaaaay over valued, and when that bubble finally pops, people are going to be left holding some seriously big fuckin bags. Just my 2 cents...
People have went bankrupt shorting TSLA. The cult of Elon is not one to bet against.

• 3Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users

swayze22

Elite
<Bronze Donator>
Most people get tripped up on the fact that you can buy and sell calls and also buy and sell puts.

• 1Like

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Exactly. For example I thought it would be a good idea to own JCI(pays a dividend, mostly stable, etc). as part of my long term goal. Overall I am up over 100%, but this is after about a year and of course I am still holding the stock.

So for me a somewhat aggressive(either at strike or close to it) put was a way to try and get more of that stock and if the prices rises no big deal, I got paid to try. Typically the premium was around 2.5-3.5% of the strike. With a 2 week put and doing this at a rotating level I was basically growing my account by a measly 2.5-3.5% every two weeks. Not the kind of gains you guys brag about, but over the course of a year it works out to basically doubling my money(i think) year over year for(in my opinion) fairly low risk. Same concept with a covered call.

Example of what I did the last two weeks, 1500$ cash, sold a put for almost all of it(1478 or something) for 38$ expiring at the end of the week, this is about 2.2%. So to you big boys this 38$ is a joke, but it also took me 10 minutes and is fairly low risk. 38x52(weeks a year) and I made 1,999$. Or almost double my original 2k. Obviously getting that 2.2% every time isn't a guarantee(sometimes its 1.x%) and at some point I may actually have to buy the stock but then I reverse the process with a covered call.

Anyway that is what I was doing and it wasn't terrible but unless you feed the machine it doesn't really grow at any huge rate.

I know you guys will turn that 2k into 2.5k in a day and then do it again tomorrow. Wish I could do that and I am actually starting to get interested in advancing my skills around here to do just that...with more realistic goals, like turning that 2k into 2.1k regularly :)
Growing a steady 2.5% - 3.5% every two weeks is a much larger gain than anyone here posted they had last year. I think my post of 44% in a year was the highest I saw. The big bet “I made $#k today!” posts aren’t really the norm and those posts aren’t accompanied by the losses.

Doing what you’re doing is what I’m interested in learning atm. I just swing trade so far but would like to do the more active stuff just to learn it. This absurd bull market will probably be over soon and swing trading will be more difficult to post gains rather than losses.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
People have went bankrupt shorting TSLA. The cult of Elon is not one to bet against.
Market will stay irrational far longer than you can stay solvent.

Also what caused all the weed stocks to jump today? Wasnt just SNDL but everything across the board.

• 3Like
  • 1Solidarity

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Growing a steady 2.5% - 3.5% every two weeks is a much larger gain than anyone here posted they had last year. I think my post of 44% in a year was the highest I saw. The big bet “I made $#k today!” posts aren’t really the norm and those posts aren’t accompanied by the losses.

Doing what you’re doing is what I’m interested in learning atm. I just swing trade so far but would like to do the more active stuff just to learn it. This absurd bull market will probably be over soon and swing trading will be more difficult to post gains rather than losses.
We are looking at putting together an options how-to thread.

• 6Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 6 users

Blazin

Creative Title
<Nazi Janitors>
Took a new position today in Zoetis (ZTS) today new company for me this is a company that makes pet medicine. Chart has been in a healthy consolidation and earnings report is next week. Not a huge position just a little risk taking for me with money to put to work.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

LachiusTZ

Rogue Deathwalker Box
<Silver Donator>

We didnt have anyone break 100% return on investments in 2020? . . .

• 1Tendies

Pogi.G

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Market will stay irrational far longer than you can stay solvent.

Also what caused all the weed stocks to jump today? Wasnt just SNDL but everything across the board.

I got this news second hand because, well, out of sight out of mind. I haven't followed the news much since Biden won. A coworker told me that Biden said that he may push to have weed legalized at the national level. I think that is why they are all rising today.

It's jumping on news that quite frankly won't happen for at least several months, so these stocks won't stay up. I wouldn't hold any long term.

**Disclaimer**

That is just me though, and I am just looking at it from a common sense/non-clown market kind of way. I could be completely wrong.

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I had the potential (sold the top before covid crash on Feb 11th 2020), but played it far too conservative buying back in.

I am on track to hit 100%+ this year though. I am already just shy of 20% YTD. (95 swing trading / 5% day trading)

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Not sure. Only a few people posted their yearly.

Was mainly responding to “you big boys make a ton” but no one really posted higher % gains than he posted.

Black_Death

Golden Knight of the Realm
I'm also extremely interested in the options how-to thread. I've always been a long buyer and occasionally buy call options as a gamble, but some of the other strategies have never really clicked for me.

• 1Solidarity

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Heh, nobody here at least doubled their money last year? This is Bush league. Nice investing forum. Im outta here

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Took a new position today in Zoetis (ZTS) today new company for me this is a company that makes pet medicine. Chart has been in a healthy consolidation and earnings report is next week. Not a huge position just a little risk taking for me with money to put to work.
I can't believe you didn't put it to work in doggiecoin.

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Heh, nobody here at least doubled their money last year? This is Bush league. Nice investing forum. Im outta here
Im up around %150 or so with my play money. Started last March with about $12500 and currently at $31000.

90% of that is from buying AMD at $54.45 then selling at $89 and then buying SNDL at $.85 then selling at $1.16. A bit salty seeing SNDL at $1.80 AH right now.

• 4Like

Jackie Treehorn

<Gold Donor>
Im up around %150 or so with my play money. Started last March with about $12500 and currently at $31000.

90% of that is from buying AMD at $54.45 then selling at $89 and then buying SNDL at $.85 then selling at $1.16. A bit salty seeing SNDL at $1.80 AH right now.

Hey, you could be saltier.

Look at my RH history. This was a sell order last week.

I was up $13,000 in this at one point and sold at $3k up at $1.12. 😜

4B32EFC1-55F2-412F-B20D-1AF59E0FD5A2.jpeg

Last edited:

Blazin

Creative Title
<Nazi Janitors>
I had the potential (sold the top before covid crash on Feb 11th 2020), but played it far too conservative buying back in.

I am on track to hit 100%+ this year though. I am already just shy of 20% YTD. (95 swing trading / 5% day trading)

I won't ever have another 100%+ year as long as I live. I posted my returns for every year for the last 20. My highest ever was 260% and I ended the year with about $30,000 in my account that was 18 yrs ago. Usually someone saying they have large gains just tells me they are playing with very little money in total or that it's a small percent of their income and/or NW. Actual dollars matters a hell of a lot more than percentage. In a lot of ways I wished we all posted our dollar returns and stop with silly %'s that could be comparing a stock to an options trade or other things equally as silly, but some degree of insecurity in a group is going to always exist and talking our % returns is safer it allows a guy who bought one share to chime in with someone who bought 10,000 and they did the "same", ignoring one took real risk the other risked maybe tomorrow's lunch money.

I would never take the risk of my net worth to get a triple digit gain on my entire portfolio, if I see a rapid gain in short period most likely to then take less risk for a period which for me is the actual reward of the outsized return. If you want to make 60-100% returns YOY you have to be willing to take the downside risk that goes with that.

Not speaking to you specifically Jysin but people also like to cherry pick what they show. Making 100% on a meme trade in a few weeks is still a far cry from your entire portfolio going up 100% YOY unless that $10k trade was the entire portfolio which if that's the case who gives a shit ? Try to do the same with a million and more, the trade may be the same but your emotions are not and you can never fully escape them. The whole reason we talk about wanting the gains is to amass wealth, well if it's working at some point protecting that wealth becomes the very reason some of those early on behaviors won't be repeated, because you ran the gauntlet and why would risk it rolling the die again knowing how easily it can go wrong. Early on the roll is worth it because next week's paycheck can replace it and I can roll again. Age and wealth level changes that dynamic.

There are some personalities out there though who just thrive on that so they never stop and some of them become very very wealthy because of it. The difference between me and that guy isn't trading acumen it's temperament.

• 13Like
Reactions: 12 users