Investing General Discussion

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
PLTR

Bounced just above the 100 DMA ($22.45). Day isnt over yet and a retest of that bounce is probable. The next thing to look at is what used to be support is now resistance above at $26.39

1614354500356.png

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Still not convinced of the bounce. SPY has basically been trading in a range in a channel since November. We just broke the lower end of that channel today for the first time.

Just sitting and waiting for confirmation either direction. Being a Friday end of week, end of month, I see it just choppy today at best. I am not taking any swings or longs until Monday at the earliest.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Still not convinced of the bounce. SPY has basically been trading in a range in a channel since November. We just broke the lower end of that channel today for the first time.

Just sitting and waiting for confirmation either direction. Being a Friday end of week, end of month, I see it just choppy today at best. I am not taking any swings or longs until Monday at the earliest.
I had most of my cash already put to work covering monthly puts for March. Basically only adding to certain long term companies based on recent earnings (like NVDA and HD) or restarting ETF positions I had scraped my profit off of earlier. And of course buying near NAV SPACs.

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Check out KMPH, they have a big FDA approval looming on 3/2 combined with a large short interest, could be the perfect storm of short squeeze plus FDA approval. I already have some myself. Also, its been flat/green through most of this decline. Can sell Mar 19 22.5 covered calls for .50 too

• 1Like
  • 1Tendies
Reactions: 1 users

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
I finally figured out today that I could set a limit for 180 days instead of rewriting it daily, lol.

Is my $22.50 limit too low?
Who knows. Remember the Daily Moving Average adjusts every day as a day drops off and a new day adds. As of this morning the 100 DMA is $22.44. These arent hard and fast numbers. They are... guidelines.

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Things I am noticing. QQQJ is outperforming QQQ and FTEC. The smaller companies are doing better than the big Mega Caps (as a group). AAPL, MSFT being exceptions as they are running hard. Today is also end of month rebalancing.

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
I finally figured out today that I could set a limit for 180 days instead of rewriting it daily, lol.

Is my $22.50 limit too low?
It hit $22.70 then went up, I bought more at $22.90
Maybe it comes back down, maybe it doesn't... it's anyone's guess

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
It hit $22.70 then went up, I bought more at $22.90
Maybe it comes back down, maybe it doesn't... it's anyone's guess
Yeah, I added +$0.10 above the DMA when it looks like I shouldve added +$0.30. I'm learning atleast.

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
The day isnt over yet. There is a whole lot of trading left to be done before 4:00

In times like these do I just sit on my limit or do I adjust it? I could go back in and add another +$0.20 to hopefully get the next bounce.

Or it could drop and I get it anyways?

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
In times like these do I just sit on my limit or do I adjust it? I could go back in and add another +$0.20 to hopefully get the next bounce.

I have no idea what you should do and I think it depends on your plan for the stock. Do you want to hold it forever or are you unloading it soon?
If you want to buy and hold, then a difference of 50cents to 1-2 dollars seems like minimal difference when you're talking holding a stock for months/years.
No need to be completely optimal on long term buys

For short term, then you start narrowing your window quite a bit. Like down to the pennies.

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>

The stock market is a game of patience. If you do your DD and price discovery, you have a price you want to enter at. Set the order and let it go. There is always tomorrow. Or maybe not. I missed Fiver by 25 cents a few years ago down around $18 a share. Its over $200 now. Others I have missed only to catch it cheaper a few weeks or months later. The number of shares matters also because you end up multiplying the increased cost per share by the number purchased.

That all being said, its a decision only you can make. Since the 100 DMA is higher based on your previous info, an adjustment to take that into account wouldn't be crazy. If you want to buy the stock and hold it for 30 years, buying it at $24 versus $22.50 is insignificant in the scope of a 30 year hold. If you feel its volatility isnt over then maybe you stick to price discovery. This is all stuff only you can answer.

I have on numerous occasions moved my limits during the day. Sometimes it works out and sometimes it costs me money. Its why I tend to stick to my limits unless new info comes up.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Congress is going to pass some sort of gigantor dollar infrastructure bill. Heavy equipment manufacturers, equipment rental companies etc are going to see a boon from this. Companies like URI, CAT etc have been flying because of it.

Defense companies like ratheon and such. Let the bombing begin again.