Investing General Discussion

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Conversely, if we start a downward trend, those mega cap sells will also swing the indexes. Under the surface it seems a lot of bigger names have kept things afloat. Under the surface, we have had a lot of corrections in individual names with lesser weighting. I don't want to have too many chips on the table at this precarious market point, where it seems we are teetering in either direction.

Upside potential vs downside risk.
Im with you. My strat the last few weeks has been to hold my cash but take little tiny bites of individual stocks I like that have weakness at prices I see as support.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>

Animated GIF

• 2Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
LCID
Lucid Air Gets EPA Range Rating of 520 Miles. That Beats Tesla. -- Barrons.com
DOW JONES & COMPANY, INC. 12:12 PM ET 9/16/2021
Symbol Last Price Change
LCID 21.1up +1.19 (+5.9769%)
QUOTES AS OF 12:13:12 PM ET 09/16/2021
Tesla's Model S has a range of 405 miles. Lucid Group(LCID) said the range of its Lucid Air Dream Edition goes one better. In fact, it goes more than 100 miles better.

The car has received an official rating from the Environmental Protection Agency of 520 miles of range, according to Lucid. It is the longest-range electric vehicle ever rated by the EPA, the company added.

Shares of Lucid, the electric-vehicle start-up run by Peter Rawlinson, who helped develop the Tesla Model S a decade ago, were rising 4.95% on Thursday to $20.90.

The stock has risen more than 108% so far this year but has dropped about 11% over the past three months. "I'm delighted that our Lucid Air Dream Edition Range has been officially accredited with a range of 520 miles by the EPA, a number I believe to be a new record for any EV. Crucially, this landmark has been achieved by Lucid's world-leading in- house EV technology, not by simply installing an oversize battery pack," said Rawlinson in a statement.

Earlier this month, Lucid got its first rating from Wall Street, a bullish call.

Citigroup analyst Itay Michaeli launched coverage of Lucid with a Buy and set a price target of $28.

"Lucid resembles much of what we like about Tesla, but without the lofty 2030 [market] share and [self driving] outcomes that one must underwrite, " the analyst wrote in a note.

The analyst doesn't like Tesla -- he has a Sell rating on the stock.

Tesla fell 0.69% on Thursday to $750.61.

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
LCID
Lucid Air Gets EPA Range Rating of 520 Miles. That Beats Tesla. -- Barrons.com
DOW JONES & COMPANY, INC. 12:12 PM ET 9/16/2021
Symbol Last Price Change
LCID 21.1up +1.19 (+5.9769%)
QUOTES AS OF 12:13:12 PM ET 09/16/2021
Tesla's Model S has a range of 405 miles. Lucid Group(LCID) said the range of its Lucid Air Dream Edition goes one better. In fact, it goes more than 100 miles better.

The car has received an official rating from the Environmental Protection Agency of 520 miles of range, according to Lucid. It is the longest-range electric vehicle ever rated by the EPA, the company added.

Shares of Lucid, the electric-vehicle start-up run by Peter Rawlinson, who helped develop the Tesla Model S a decade ago, were rising 4.95% on Thursday to $20.90.

The stock has risen more than 108% so far this year but has dropped about 11% over the past three months. "I'm delighted that our Lucid Air Dream Edition Range has been officially accredited with a range of 520 miles by the EPA, a number I believe to be a new record for any EV. Crucially, this landmark has been achieved by Lucid's world-leading in- house EV technology, not by simply installing an oversize battery pack," said Rawlinson in a statement.

Earlier this month, Lucid got its first rating from Wall Street, a bullish call.

Citigroup analyst Itay Michaeli launched coverage of Lucid with a Buy and set a price target of $28.

"Lucid resembles much of what we like about Tesla, but without the lofty 2030 [market] share and [self driving] outcomes that one must underwrite, " the analyst wrote in a note.

The analyst doesn't like Tesla -- he has a Sell rating on the stock.

Tesla fell 0.69% on Thursday to $750.61.

I just don't see how anyone breaks into this market with all the big boys going balls deep on ev, and the ev market share being tiny and growing slowly as a whole.

Blazin

Creative Title
<Nazi Janitors>
What's the deets on this one?

Place you most likely would have been exposed to their product is real estate listings. They do 3d views, and are in a great position to be part of AR/VR being used in more business applications. Stock is expensive of course. I was going to post about them a couple weeks ago at $15 for you guys and I really should have but got busy. I don't think this is a trade. It's a buy some and check in on their growth once or twice a year and let the share price take care of itself. Feels similar to me as DOCU did in that they have the tech and positioning to grow rapidly in a changing market. I'm making no statement about what their stock price will be a month from now or even a year from now. I think sometimes you just need to make a small play on big long term potential.

• 4Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 4 users

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>

Place you most likely would have been exposed to their product is real estate listings. They do 3d views, and are in a great position to be part of AR/VR being used in more business applications. Stock is expensive of course. I was going to post about them a couple weeks ago at $15 for you guys and I really should have but got busy. I don't think this is a trade. It's a buy some and check in on their growth once or twice a year and let the share price take care of itself. Feels similar to me as DOCU did in that they have the tech and positioning to grow rapidly in a changing market. I'm making no statement about what their stock price will be a month from now or even a year from now. I think sometimes you just need to make a small play on big long term potential.

Thanks for the tip. Just added 100 shares.

Also, thanks for all the feedback this past year. I made a goal to get into the game a couple of years ago, but only really started in 2021.

Since then I've invested over $25k in crypto, $20k in stonks. I've had some pretty significant gains even though I MISSED the covid dip. So, that's pretty good imo.

[edit] Obviously this thanks includes all of the typical suspects who contribute: Sanrith Descartes Sanrith Descartes , Fogel Fogel , Jysin Jysin , Gravel Gravel , etc. and even Big Phoenix Big Phoenix w the WSB tendies.

Last edited:
  • 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Thanks for the tip. Just added 100 shares.

Also, thanks for all the feedback this past year. I made a goal to get into the game a couple of years ago, but only really started in 2021.

Since then I've invested over $25k in crypto, $20k in stonks. I've had some pretty significant gains even though I MISSED the covid dip. So, that's pretty good imo.

You might want to think about selling puts on this. You can sell the Oct 15 20 strike for 1.50 or the Oct 15 22.5 strike for 2.90

Il_Duce Lightning Lord Rule

Lightning Fast
<Charitable Administrator>

EF Blazin.png

• 4Worf
  • 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 5 users

Shonuff

Mr. Poopybutthole
I'm in 25% cash right now, since they keep saying how bad the rest of this month is, historically. Then you have Tom Lee saying rally. So I wait and see if the world has ended tomorrow, like some are saying.

"The stock market may have finally lost its upward momentum after a long rally, and it comes as Wall Street is entering one of the most worrying stretches on the calendar.
History shows September is the weakest month for investors, but a pattern within the month suggests the worst is yet come. Since 1983, the S&P 500 has averaged a decline of 0.6% during September, but the final third of the month tends to be the weakest, according to Bespoke Investment Group.

“The first third of the month tends to be flat going back to 1983 and has a more negative bias when looking just at the last ten years. The second third of the month, however, takes on a more positive tone with the S&P 500 peaking towards the middle of the month before selling off again in the final ten days of the month and finishing near the lows of the month,” Bespoke said in a note to clients.

In fact, it appears the S&P 500 usually peaks around the 17th day of the month, according to Bespoke’s data.
This year, that day is Friday, and it coincides with the expiration date for stock options, index options, stock futures and index futures — a quarterly event that is variably called “quadruple witching” or “triple witching.”

There are many theories about how this convergence of options activity, which can cause high trading volume, impacts markets. However, history shows that a dip for stocks ahead of the event signals more weakness the following week, according to the Stock Trader’s Almanac.
“Down weeks tend to follow down [Triple Witching Weeks] is a most interesting pattern. Since 1991, of 39 down TWWs, 27 following weeks were also down,” the almanac reads.

LPL chief market strategist Ryan Detrick said it is not clear why the market tends to soften in the final days of September, but it could be related to professional investors altering their portfolios before the end of the quarter.

“What I think makes sense is a lot of hedge funds have their fiscal year end in September, so you can have a lot of late year hedge fund movement ... It’s also obviously the end of the quarter, before the fourth quarter,” Detrick said. So you kind layer those two things together, and that is one potential reason we’ve seen a good amount of weakness in the second part of September.”

He added that it could also be caused by investor wariness of October, which has historically seen some dramatic market declines despite being a positive month on average.

These factors and the recent slide for stocks have led CNBC’s Jim Cramer to warn about a negative intraday trading pattern that has emerged over the past two weeks — when the stock market opens higher, traders who are looking to sell take advantage and the market fades later in the day.
“I think they’re just trying to get ahead of what has been, historically for 20 years, a very difficult time for the market. ... The momentum sucks people in, and then people lose money. We’ve got to be a little more cautious,” Cramer said on “Squawk Box” on Wednesday, in reference to the back half weakness seen in September starting around the 17th.

Cramer did add that, given this trading appears to be based on historical patterns, that could be a good sign that the market’s weakness is temporary and not the start of a long-term decline."

Last edited:

Gator

Molten Core Raider
I wasn't sure where to post this so here it goes... I have a question regarding an old retirement account my wife had with a previous employer. We keep forgetting about it but there's about 18k in it. I'd like to take the money out to pay off a loan we have but my understanding is there will be a 10% withdrawal fee and then get taxed at our income rate. So I figure that 18k will have become around 12k when everything is said and done. Right? That to me isn't a wise choice when I can just keep making large payments towards that loan. It would be nice just to get it over with though but not for 6k. Now, we can't contribute to the old retirement fund so we would have to roll it over into a IRA (her current employer doesn't offer a retirement). My question is how do we go about doing that? What are the fees? and I'd imagine probably a wiser choice than just cashing it out. I've never had to deal with switching retirement accounts.

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole
I wasn't sure where to post this so here it goes... I have a question regarding an old retirement account my wife had with a previous employer. We keep forgetting about it but there's about 18k in it. I'd like to take the money out to pay off a loan we have but my understanding is there will be a 10% withdrawal fee and then get taxed at our income rate. So I figure that 18k will have become around 12k when everything is said and done. Right? That to me isn't a wise choice when I can just keep making large payments towards that loan. It would be nice just to get it over with though but not for 6k. Now, we can't contribute to the old retirement fund so we would have to roll it over into a IRA (her current employer doesn't offer a retirement). My question is how do we go about doing that? What are the fees? and I'd imagine probably a wiser choice than just cashing it out. I've never had to deal with switching retirement accounts.

Easier to do than you'd think, and no fees. The big names like Fidelity, Vanguard, Ameritrade, etc handle most of it. If you don't have one already, create your own IRA account with one of them and they'll have a way to initiate the roll over.

And yeah, don't do the early withdrawal unless your loan has some stupid high interest rate

• 3Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users

Gator

Molten Core Raider
Easier to do than you'd think, and no fees. The big names like Fidelity, Vanguard, Ameritrade, etc handle most of it. If you don't have one already, create your own IRA account with one of them and they'll have a way to initiate the roll over.

And yeah, don't do the early withdrawal unless your loan has some stupid high interest rate
Thank you sir for the quick reply! I'll check those out

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Thank you sir for the quick reply! I'll check those out
No problem, and let us know if you need help picking which fund to put your money in. From the sound of it you're a set it and forget it investor, so probably stick it into the SPY or FTEC and call it a decade.

• 1Like

Gator

Molten Core Raider
No problem, and let us know if you need help picking which fund to put your money in. From the sound of it you're a set it and forget it investor, so probably stick it into the SPY or FTEC and call it a decade.
Will do. Thanks.
lol, yea, A set it and forget is definitely more my style.

• 1Like

billymain

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I don't trust any chinese stocks or paths of making money. Thinking that chinese gambling will be a big win long term is probably vaporware, as china has always been pretty anti gambling. There's one holiday, CCP day or something probably, where they turn a blind eye to that rule for a few days, but other than that most gambling involving china is pretty strongly fought by the government.

degenerategamblers.gif