Investing General Discussion

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole
I'm on the fence about EV's. Even if you take Tesla out of the equation, its only going to be a matter of time before the big boys assert their dominance once EV acceptance in the world truly takes off. And even then, when does that actually happen? I think its much further off than people realize.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
It has to be. Every time I bring up EV's, I bring up the power grid.

They already complain about how our power grid if shit and can't keep up. But let's replace all combustion engines? Good luck!

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
End result is EVs will be more expensive than gasoline cars.

You're going to need to pay for a ALOT of infrastructure(power plants, power lines, charging stations etc.) and you will finally be paying road use tax(gas tax).

Basically you need to put in place all the infrastructure gasoline uses and paid for over the course of 100 years now. Of course when that time comes not like you will have a choice.

Last edited:
  • 2Like
  • 1Truth!
Reactions: 2 users

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Who called it?

1638580699064.png

• 2Worf
  • 2Like
  • 1Mother of God
Reactions: 4 users

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
I'm on the fence about EV's. Even if you take Tesla out of the equation, its only going to be a matter of time before the big boys assert their dominance once EV acceptance in the world truly takes off. And even then, when does that actually happen? I think its much further off than people realize.
I think the one chance these smaller EV players has is being acquired by a giant once they can prove the cars work as described. I can see AAPL acquiring an EV manufacturer.

• 1Mother of God
Reactions: 1 user

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Yeah, we already knew that was in there months ago.

Edit: I should add, the whole thing is just another attack on the middle class. Read someone's comment elsewhere that said (paraphrasing) "No one is becoming super rich with a backdoor Roth (or mega-backdoor Roth). It's just a tool to help middle class people become upper class."

There's also no reason the limits should be as low as they are. $6k is ridiculous.

Last edited:
  • 4Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 4 users

fris

Blackwing Lair Raider
i think you have to consider the entire tax-advantage vehicles and not just look at the $6k limit on Roth.

Investing in private equity via Roth probably shouldn't be a thing. Is it Peter Thiel or someone similar who turned on year's $6k into billions by buying early paypal?

before backdoor, you have $19.5k 401k, $6k standard Roth, and 3-7k HSA. ~$30k a year someone can save. if that family can afford to save more, do they need a tax advantaged method to do so?

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
That's a tough question because it really focuses on what we want as a country. For someone like me who thinks that government spending is the problem, then yes, people making under $500k a year should be able to take advantage of as many tax deductions as possible. Because right now people in the $50-500k income range are shouldering the burden of federal tax. Not paying the majority of them, mind you, but the rich are barely impacted by income tax, and the poor and lower middle class don't pay it at all.

The people paying income tax and with enough resources to save are the productive members of society, from the blue collar tradesmen, the office drones, the small business owners, and the doctors/dentists/lawyers. These are the people we should want to be as far away from falling onto the government dole as possible, so giving them tax preferential treatment should be the goal.

But I think the powers that be would rather have everyone in the welfare class except for the exceptionally rich; a return to feudalism.

• 5Like
  • 1Truth!
Reactions: 5 users

ToeMissile

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
i think you have to consider the entire tax-advantage vehicles and not just look at the $6k limit on Roth.

Investing in private equity via Roth probably shouldn't be a thing. Is it Peter Thiel or someone similar who turned on year's $6k into billions by buying early paypal?

before backdoor, you have $19.5k 401k, $6k standard Roth, and 3-7k HSA. ~$30k a year someone can save. if that family can afford to save more, do they need a tax advantaged method to do so?
Yes, Thiel.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
So for loss farming at the end of the year, I could technically sell an ETF and then instantly just rebuy a very similar ETF? Like sell ONEQ and buy QQQ?

• 1Truth!
Reactions: 1 user

Rangoth

Blackwing Lair Raider
Yes and no. I suggest reading the rule yourself and I am certainly no expert, but I believe if you sell and buy a similar stock in similar industry it does not work.

Starting point. Though i never did the research myself to determine what “substainially identicial” actually means

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
So for loss farming at the end of the year, I could technically sell an ETF and then instantly just rebuy a very similar ETF? Like sell ONEQ and buy QQQ?
Not sure how they determine if they’re considered identical or not. Maybe you can see it in fidelity? I’ve never looked.