Investing General Discussion

Zog

Blackwing Lair Raider
I can't imagine how many people are just getting destroyed in this chop.

Aldarion

Egg Nazi
If a person were to find their portfolio shrinking by 1-2% per day consistently for about a week, is taking any action advisable or is the right move to stop watching it and just come back in a month?

asking for a friend

hory

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
You can sell everything and buy it back cheaper, buy more in a few months. The market was over valued and the Biden admin is doing all they can to make things very unstable. Expect things to get worse before they get better. So i guess the answer is stop looking.

• 1Picard
  • 1Dislike
Reactions: 1 users

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
I can't imagine how many people are just getting destroyed in this chop.
Depends on if they are traders or investors. Investors are fine because a 10 year time horizon means this is just a blip in the road. Bad traders are getting destroyed. Good traders are making a fortune.

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
If a person were to find their portfolio shrinking by 1-2% per day consistently for about a week, is taking any action advisable or is the right move to stop watching it and just come back in a month?

asking for a friend
Depends on the portfolio makeup more than anything else. if you are fully invested in index funds like the SPY/QQQ and this chop bothers you the best advice I can give is to not look at your portfolio but once or twice a year.

if you have individual stock positions you need to examine the stocks and ask why. If you cant answer the why question you probably shouldnt own individual stocks.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Depends on if the stocks you are talking about are junk or not (junk would be penny stocks not junk would be a blue chip.)

I'll let the experts weigh in, but cutting losers is an art in itself almost like taking profit.
I will only add that lots of non-penny stocks are junk too in my opinion. Buying quality and holding it is the answer.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
You can sell everything and buy it back cheaper, buy more in a few months. The market was over valued and the Biden admin is doing all they can to make things very unstable.

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
the best advice I can give is to not look at your portfolio but once or twice a year.

Piggybacking on this - It's really important to remember that no portfolio changes are real until you exit. If you're saving for retirement, that exit is likely multiple decades in the future and will be smoothed over many years. This daily chop, and even the swings of the last four months, are utterly meaningless unless you were otherwise going to trade on it. There's body of research out there showing that even knowing about short-term portfolio movements leads to dissatisfaction that you don't have to experience. If the froth bothers you, check in once or twice a year to make sure you're diversified properly and otherwise turn off the financial news. Same result, less stress.

Last edited:
  • 3Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
You can sell everything and buy it back cheaper, buy more in a few months. The market was over valued and the Biden admin is doing all they can to make things very unstable. Expect things to get worse before they get better. So i guess the answer is stop looking.
Sure I love paying all my long term capital gains taxes at once during a market dip, this is great advice.

• 2Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>

Sell the dip, buy the spike!

• 2Worf
  • 1Thoughts & Prayers
Reactions: 2 users

Rangoth

Blackwing Lair Raider
Would anyone like to explain to me in laymens terms what is happening here? (from /r/wsb)

View attachment 406991

Others have already explained it and I know what's going on here, and yea, that's an awesome potential gain for this dude. I probably would have bitch hands that way before it was up 200%, but I don't really make the play he did very often(buying calls)

I don't follow COST so that's probably on me and Im not currently in a spot where I can go do some research but without diving in to the complexities of options, it basically means that the market believes strongly that COST will be worth more than 636/share come April 29th.

Aldarion

Egg Nazi
Depends on the portfolio makeup more than anything else. if you are fully invested in index funds like the SPY/QQQ and this chop bothers you the best advice I can give is to not look at your portfolio but once or twice a year.

if you have individual stock positions you need to examine the stocks and ask why. If you cant answer the why question you probably shouldnt own individual stocks.
My horizon is long, its not a question of being bothered by it in terms of "oh shit I'm gonna lose my money".

I'm invested in index funds, commodities, stocks I plan to hold long term, and stocks I plan to hold shorter term. As a noob I make mistakes and expect that; over a long enough time I'm not really worried any of these decisions will hurt me. No individual stocks are over 5% of my portfolio and I'm diversified across different sectors, although as you guys pointed out I missed some. Most of my individual stocks are well known widely recommended names. Nothing terribly creative.

My questions are about how to best play the game. What I was wondering is whether experienced investors and/or traders adjust their strategy when the portfolio goes down by 1-2% per day all week. Or just hold steady and wait for the turbulence to pass. (For the most part I have been viewing times like this week as buying opportunities or just doing nothing and watching and bitching about it. )

Re-reading some responses, I think my question was really whether the scale of these short term losses is something an experienced trader would react to if it happened to their own account. Appreciate the feedback.

Last edited: