Investing General Discussion

Molten Core Raider
Not gonna lie. I am ok with it. Guessed this was gonna happen and I have held my IRA contribution. Started adding a little to my ETFs today. Lower it goes, the more I get for my money!

• 1Thoughts & Prayers
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Lambourne

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
It's my fault sorry. Last time I bought stocks it was months before the GFC kicked off and I went like -75%. Only had a few hundred in it thankfully.

I bought shares for the first time since then on Tuesday.

I'd love to say I was exaggerating.

• 2Worf
  • 1Beagling
  • 1Like
Reactions: 3 users

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
SPY into the macro ascending support from the October lows, as well as the 50D. Failing that, you have the 200D below. Pretty bearish if we give all those supports up. So far it has reacted to the TL and 50D and reclaimed. Could just roll back over today though. Just my observations.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Wow, my realized gains are super low. I guess because the taxable account wasn't even opened until 2018. I did another $15k today, and I'm going to guess my total is around $3-3.5k in gains.

So now I'm in a situation where I'm going to need to do a massive Roth conversion to "manufacture" income (which isn't a bad thing, since I can do it "cheap" this year, and convert even more) so we're not below 100% of the FPL ($18k?). Whole thing is rather confusing, to be honest. I'm sure once I do our taxes for 2022 it'll be a lot easier to understand the relationship these all have. But this being the first year to do it, and that the market is just so fucking terrible this year really makes it a shit show for me.
Well, first year fail. I way overshot it with my "manufactured income" (traditional to Roth conversion).

Going to owe about $700, and I hate writing the IRS a check. Granted, this amounts to like a 0.0175% tax (was about $40k in rollover), so not the worst thing in the world as that now becomes $40k in Roth principle for 2027, which we can pull out completely tax free. And all those Roth gains will be tax free now too.

The market was so shit last year that we only had a little over $1500 in capital gains. And since we're in a low tax bracket that's tax free.

In retrospect it looks like I basically only have the standard deduction to play with.

I'm tempted to try to figure out how to get the EITC. I'm tired of being a sucker paying taxes. Going to be tough though as you have to keep "investment" income below $10k.

Edit: Just looked it up and since we don't have children, the absolute maximum we could even get from the credit is $560. So fuck that. Not worth my time.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
SPY into the macro ascending support from the October lows, as well as the 50D. Failing that, you have the 200D below. Pretty bearish if we give all those supports up. So far it has reacted to the TL and 50D and reclaimed. Could just roll back over today though. Just my observations.
Heck of a bounce from that support I mentioned. Scalped some nice SPXL off it.

spy.jpg

Last edited:
  • 3Tendies
  • 1Like

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Wow, first it was stonks, then not stonks, then stonks again. Wild.

• 1Midwit
Reactions: 1 user

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
PCE data hot, plus previous revisions higher. SPY and QQQ 200D MAs in sight for today. Likely going to be a big fight if we get there, otherwise I expect some chop if we float in no mans land above it.

Bets on a 50bp Fed move increased.

• 4Like

Zzen

Potato del Grande
PCE data hot, plus previous revisions higher. SPY and QQQ 200D MAs in sight for today. Likely going to be a big fight if we get there, otherwise I expect some chop if we float in no mans land above it.

Bets on a 50bp Fed move increased.

edit: rates ripping so hard, we’re going to have to start calling them ronks 📈

Last edited:

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider

Federal Reserve officials may need to raise interest rates as high as 6.5% to defeat inflation, according to new research that was sharply critical of the central bank’s initially slow response to rising prices.

In a paper presented Friday at a conference in New York, a quintet of Wall Street economists and academics argue that policymakers still have an overly-optimistic outlook and they will need to inflict some economic pain to get prices under control.

• 1Like
  • 1Thoughts & Prayers
Reactions: 1 users

Abigailicious

Lord Nagafen Raider
I'm getting out of Google, they are incompetent at everything and yes they have a politically protected monopoly, but that can go down south fast. What do you all think about Google? It has been a huge earner for me much as I hate them, but I think we are at peak Google, they are so incompetent at this point and so stultified and gross. Just awful people with a fanatic's agenda and the backing of a failed state.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
I'm getting out of Google, they are incompetent at everything and yes they have a politically protected monopoly, but that can go down south fast. What do you all think about Google? It has been a huge earner for me much as I hate them, but I think we are at peak Google, they are so incompetent at this point and so stultified and gross. Just awful people with a fanatic's agenda and the backing of a failed state.
I’ve never bought google out of principle. That’s how I feel about them.

• 2Solidarity
  • 2Like

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Fair enough. I bought them in an earlier day. When they seemed glowy and happy, dumb me.
To be honest we all likely own companies we don’t like the values of. They’ve all taken the mandate from blackrock to go woke under threat of losing investments.

For me, I didn’t like how Google was willingly helping censor Chinese people, selling our data to China, etc. I don’t own Facebook because of similar things. But, I own Apple…they do similar things by blocking communication apps in China.

In the end we’re investing to make money, so should looking at a companies values drive your decisions? I don’t know, up to you. If you’re questioning yourself on whether you should morally own a company or not maybe that is a personal sign to yourself that you’d feel better if you didn’t. I don’t think anyone can tell you your personal morals and feelings.

I know that if you moved the google money to some similar company you’d feel better about owning would probably make you feel better and perform similar, so why not do that?

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
I'm a proponent of spite investing. Invest in companies you hate. If they do well, that sucks, but at least you make money. If they do poorly haha fuck you shitty company. Win-win!

• 6Worf
  • 1Thoughts & Prayers
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 7 users