Investing General Discussion

OU Ariakas

Diet Dr. Pepper Enjoyer
<Silver Donator>
So essentially.... They've sold a lot less than, but cut so much in costs they're EPS shot up higher than expected.... I am not so sure we should be happy about that.

They fired ~6% of their workforce at the beginning of February and laid out quotas that were significantly lower than last year. The general tone around here was "COVID years were record breaking and we are coming down off that high so prepare for a really ugly correction towards the mean."

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
So essentially.... They've sold a lot less than, but cut so much in costs they're EPS shot up higher than expected.... I am not so sure we should be happy about that.

They fired ~6% of their workforce at the beginning of February and laid out quotas that were significantly lower than last year. The general tone around here was "COVID years were record breaking and we are coming down off that high so prepare for a really ugly correction towards the mean."
Also, dont read earnings from Twitter. Use a reliable source. Whales reported incorrect revs in that link from Mist.

01 Jun 15:01 [DELL] Reports Q1 $1.31 v $0.87e, Rev $20.9B v $20.1Be
- Non-GAAP gross margin 24.0% v 22.1% y/y
- Non-GAAP op income $1.07B v $1.55B y/y
- Infrastructure Solutions Group Rev $7.6B, -18% y/y
- Client Solutions Group Rev $12.0B, -23% y/y

Guides Q2 revenue $20.2-21.2B v $21.0Be, sees 2% sales impact from FX, Sales in client solutions group flat q/q, infrastructure unit sales will drop q/q - earnings call comments

• 6Like
Reactions: 5 users

Il_Duce Lightning Lord Rule

Lightning Fast
<Charitable Administrator>
Indexes up nicely today. SPY at NEARLY the same level as the heady days of mid August '22. After which it fell off a cliff, of course.
Will history repeat?? Vids like the above seem to say yes... charts on the other hand, uh... maybe?

Any chart wizards care to read the burnt entrails on where we're at?
:emoji_chart_with_upwards_trend:

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Market breadth improved a lot today. IWM (small caps) on a big move up into the key $180 level. A move and close above is positive for the markets vs the big run in recent weeks of AI tech holding us up. The rotation is obvious today and healthy for the market. As always though, things can change quite quickly. DXY and rates are up across the board today. Rate pause / "skip" for June is baked in now. July expectations are another 25bp.

Overall, we've come up a long way quickly in markets. Hedge your longs. I bought some October VIX calls today while VIX is sitting here around 14.7.

• 4Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 4 users

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Woohoo, I put 6.1k in the market yesterday.

Downside: I put it in JEPI, though, so the beta is terrible.

Still made money though lol.

• 1Like

Aldarion

Egg Nazi
ILMN, the worlds top DNA sequencing company, is already sitting near a 5 year low. This is a central part of the health care industry and the biggest player in that space, by far.

Then this

Probably will see a big drop in the coming week, will probably create a good entry point for anyone looking for investments in the DNA sequencing part of the health care sector.

• 1Worf

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
ILMN, the worlds top DNA sequencing company, is already sitting near a 5 year low. This is a central part of the health care industry and the biggest player in that space, by far.

Then this

Probably will see a big drop in the coming week, will probably create a good entry point for anyone looking for investments in the DNA sequencing part of the health care sector.

*Already priced in

• 2Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
In order to make things right, justice demands they find a way to give those 400 people cancer

• 1Worf

Aldarion

Egg Nazi
I havent looked into the details of this Grail test but if it uses Illumina Sequencing its quite likely that the error was caused by a well known issue specific to this sequencing platform ("barcode crosstalk"). If so it could really hit ILMN hard. Like I said I don't know if that was the cause or some general human error, but I think theres potential for an especially well deserved hit following this news. Who knows.

Flobee

Vyemm Raider
Almost considered selling my PLTR last week. Up another 7.5% today so far.
So I haven't been paying attention to this, PLTR another "AI go up" stock? My cost basis for what I hold is $17 (lol) so considering getting some of that capital back as we get closer. In my mind PLTR is basically the eye of Sauron and so long as Federal Government spending is going up PLTR will be valuable, but not up to speed on this current run.

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
So I haven't been paying attention to this, PLTR another "AI go up" stock? My cost basis for what I hold is $17 (lol) so considering getting some of that capital back as we get closer. In my mind PLTR is basically the eye of Sauron and so long as Federal Government spending is going up PLTR will be valuable, but not up to speed on this current run.
I've said it before and I'll say it again. I can't invest into PLTR because I think it's vote scheme is predatory the absolute extreme. Nothing in the shares the public holds motivates the people in charge to do anything. The stock could be worth one penny tomorrow and it'd mean nothing to them. Stocks structured like that simply aren't in the interest of the investor in my opinion, and its value will always be the whim of the market.

• 1Like

ShakyJake

<Donor>
Is anyone planning on or have bought PUTs on any of the extremely over-extended tech stocks? Namely, AAPL, NVDA, MSFT, and META? Curious what your entry strategy is.

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole
They're still too irrational for me to think about touching at the moment

• 1Like

Aldarion

Egg Nazi
Is anyone planning on or have bought PUTs on any of the extremely over-extended tech stocks? Namely, AAPL, NVDA, MSFT, and META? Curious what your entry strategy is.
I've got a little NVDS. That shits ridiculous right now. I'm not sure what needs to be said about entry strategy on that one other than looking at the 1y or 5y charts. If not now, I'm not sure what signal a person could be waiting for.

• 1Like

Tirant

Golden Knight of the Realm
I snagged some QQQ puts a month out last Friday that are pretty red. Just pure speculation of a little reversion

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users