Investing General Discussion

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
As this stretches on though, no one ever talks about the old data falling off. Yeah, it may be 3.2% from July 2022 - 2023, but what about July 2021 - July 2022?

We're still getting crushed by inflation.

• 5Like
  • 1Truth!
Reactions: 5 users

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Did some research and bought US Federal Farm Bonds. Newly issued with expiry of 8/9/2038. 6.29% Coupon. They are callable so most likely I expect to be called as soon as interest rates drop. Not callable for 12 months so at minimum I get the two semi-annual coupon payments so I should see a 6.29% return if they get called next year. Otherwise its 6.29% a year for 15 years. Fractionally less safe than a US Treasury but still AAA rated (or was until Fitch cut the US Treasury rating the other day).

• 1Thoughts & Prayers
Reactions: 1 user

Blazin

Creative Title
<Nazi Janitors>
F3MvzRgWMAEJos8.jpg

F3Ldva6WQAAlG70.jpg

Narrative busters

• 1Mother of God

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Why are they narrative busters? Continued regulation over decades and insane liabilities and restrictions and recent collections moratoriums have made 3rd party basically a dying industry. Many folded from COVID and the entire industry is shifting to first party.

The vast majority of household wealth is home equity and home prices skyrocketed so it looks specifically like net worth increased but realistically when you can only access that with HELOCs, CO refis, etc and rates increased dramatically, what does that really do?

The situation is very different and average people are screwed by cash flow, debt servicing and access to affordable lending, not collections accounts.

These charts confirm status quo to me, but maybe I'm missing some alternate narrative that's been popular this is disproving.

• 1Like

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
Why are they narrative busters? Continued regulation over decades and insane liabilities and restrictions and recent collections moratoriums have made 3rd party basically a dying industry. Many folded from COVID and the entire industry is shifting to first party.

The vast majority of household wealth is home equity and home prices skyrocketed so it looks specifically like net worth increased but realistically when you can only access that with HELOCs, CO refis, etc and rates increased dramatically, what does that really do?

The situation is very different and average people are screwed by cash flow, debt servicing and access to affordable lending, not collections accounts.

These charts confirm status quo to me, but maybe I'm missing some alternate narrative that's been popular this is disproving.

Things being business as usual would bust the Zero Hedge “the sky is falling” narrative.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Things being business as usual would bust the Zero Hedge “the sky is falling” narrative.
I mean it's not exactly looking "good" when your entire society was running on 0% prime and now it's above 5. It's definitely possible to blow everything up.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
I would suspect a lot of net worth is tied to home equity but that chart linked shows a very noticeable uptick starting in 2012. Which points more to securities than solely the housing market

Average net worth seems to be much higher than I would expect in this country. Top 50% have a net worth of over 500k which actually shocks me

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Tried to write a zero day put at the 50-DMA on the SPY and just missed the limit price. Had the right idea but blew the pricing. I am a sad panda.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
I would suspect a lot of net worth is tied to home equity but that chart linked shows a very noticeable uptick starting in 2012. Which points more to securities than solely the housing market

Average net worth seems to be much higher than I would expect in this country. Top 50% have a net worth of over 500k which actually shocks me
Yes because that's when the housing market started recovering. The people who lost their house were speculators, investors, and people who went in with almost no equity and couldn't afford it anyway. If you get a 5/1 with a 3 month teaser rate and put 5k down that all gets eaten up by fees, you lose nothing in equity when the bank ends up with it.

When the price nosedives and people start gobbling it up again at discount deals equity quickly starts building. Then you keep printing money at 0% for a decade and there you go.

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
So what's NVDA's next level of support? 400?
I dont see anything even remotely solid until maybe 380 and that is pretty paper thin. $260 range is much more realistic.

Edit: Correct chart

1691768329232.png

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Up 125% on those NVDS calls, diamond hands baby. Did sell 25% of them though so riding on almost free money at this point

1691769256863.png

• 3Diamond Hands
  • 2Like
  • 1Tendies
Reactions: 5 users

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Up 125% on those NVDS calls, diamond hands baby. Did sell 25% of them though so riding on almost free money at this point

View attachment 486221
Nice to see some followed. It was a bit of a lotto, but on the day we entered it was screaming extended and had the best risk v reward for participating in an NVDA short without tying up too much capital.

• 4Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 4 users