Investing General Discussion

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
First, the average age for a male in the US is well over 70 these days, so plan for probably 80 or longer if you're keeping decent care of yourself.

And another nugget of wisdom from my hairy sack of experience.... So you plan on retiring at 50, what are you going to do with yourself for the 30 years after that? Not that I'm saying to grind away at some gig making money and being miserable until your mid 60's. But maybe reframe it as "Stop chasing money and have enough at 50, so I can find a career/life's work to actually do for 20-30 years after." Comes from watching my grandfather who worked the American Blue Collar life, retired at 65, but then quickly finished every project he had, fished all the fish he needed to, and once that was done I saw him fade.... FAST. And he was dead by 75. Personally, I am in a job where I'm making the best money of my life in my mid 50's. Plan on clocking another year or two in this, then shift to a more slow paced and consultative thing in the same career arena since I do really enjoy it (Cybersecurity) and do that making (and working) less, but still doing "something" until I really decide to fuck off proper in hopefully my early 70's
That's just sad.

It's something I want to address in the FIRE post I'm going to make...one day (been saying this for almost two years). The idea that if you don't have someone telling you what to do with your day and you have to figure it out yourself, and that being a bad thing, is just depressing.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
It's all about balance. I kind of joke with my friends that I "accidentally" retired in 2018. I resigned with my company of ~16 years or so at the time. A couple months later, they hired me back as a consultant. That work is maybe 2 months of the whole year on travel, the rest of the time I am doing my own thing trading. The 2 month gig allows my security clearance to keep ticking along (always want to keep that door open and active). It also allows me to get company provided healthcare if me and my family want to move back to the US, which we have been actively discussing.

My point is, I had saved a hefty pot of cash maxing 401k & investing since I started the work with the company at 24yrs old. Here I am now 45yrs old and basically everything is on my own terms. My wife is self employed and makes the occasional documentary (Netflix / BBC etc) for ~6mo of the year. This has basically given us the freedom to set our own pace of life. We have enough to choose what gigs we want and vacation when we want.

I really dont understand the mindset that people have when they say they have to work to keep active / brain engaged etc. If you absolutely love your job and its your passion, then I completely get it. However, for most people, its engaging at best and a chore for many. All of that spare time could be used for so many other opportunities. Why do people think retirement means instant sat in front of a TV alone and bored?

• 4Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 4 users

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole
It's all about balance. I kind of joke with my friends that I "accidentally" retired in 2018. I resigned with my company of ~16 years or so at the time. A couple months later, they hired me back as a consultant. That work is maybe 2 months of the whole year on travel, the rest of the time I am doing my own thing trading. The 2 month gig allows my security clearance to keep ticking along (always want to keep that door open and active). It also allows me to get company provided healthcare if me and my family want to move back to the US, which we have been actively discussing.

My point is, I had saved a hefty pot of cash maxing 401k & investing since I started the work with the company at 24yrs old. Here I am now 45yrs old and basically everything is on my own terms. My wife is self employed and makes the occasional documentary (Netflix / BBC etc) for ~6mo of the year. This has basically given us the freedom to set our own pace of life. We have enough to choose what gigs we want and vacation when we want.

I really dont understand the mindset that people have when they say they have to work to keep active / brain engaged etc. If you absolutely love your job and its your passion, then I completely get it. However, for most people, its engaging at best and a chore for many. All of that spare time could be used for so many other opportunities. Why do people think retirement means instant sat in front of a TV alone and bored?

I just had this conversation yesterday with an auditor who's company was bought out and all the original people retired, only to go back to work a year later because they have nothing to do. I guess I overestimate how much people have to do because when I think about myself, I have plenty of things I'd love to do if I weren't working 40-50 hours a week that I could easily fill. Our companies owner/president is 80, will be 81 in January, and he's in the plant 4 days a week still. We joke that he retired by taking Friday off.

Aldarion

Egg Nazi
Why do people think retirement means instant sat in front of a TV alone and bored?
Agree completely. As I was sitting here typing out a response about how I can't understand that "retire to watch TV" mindset, it struck me that its really just the same thing we see play out on a smaller scale every weekend. Some sit around bored watching TV all weekend. For others the weekend is way too short for all the shit we want to do.

I imagine how a person spends their typical weekend is a reasonable predictor of how they'll spend their retirement.

• 3Like

Rangoth

Blackwing Lair Raider
First, the average age for a male in the US is well over 70 these days, so plan for probably 80 or longer if you're keeping decent care of yourself.

And another nugget of wisdom from my hairy sack of experience.... So you plan on retiring at 50, what are you going to do with yourself for the 30 years after that? Not that I'm saying to grind away at some gig making money and being miserable until your mid 60's. But maybe reframe it as "Stop chasing money and have enough at 50, so I can find a career/life's work to actually do for 20-30 years after." Comes from watching my grandfather who worked the American Blue Collar life, retired at 65, but then quickly finished every project he had, fished all the fish he needed to, and once that was done I saw him fade.... FAST. And he was dead by 75. Personally, I am in a job where I'm making the best money of my life in my mid 50's. Plan on clocking another year or two in this, then shift to a more slow paced and consultative thing in the same career arena since I do really enjoy it (Cybersecurity) and do that making (and working) less, but still doing "something" until I really decide to fuck off proper in hopefully my early 70's

don’t want to hijack the thread but I am not chasing anything. I got lucky with a few startups that a good, not great exit. Good meaning I dumped a lump sum of money equal to 10-20 years of someone maxing their 401k. Im on the 3rd one now and hoping this one will be slightly better than the previous,but it’s early and Ive got at least 5 years of work ahead of me. Anyway I love what i do and if I “retire” I would still be on the boards and probably consult with sister companies and all that, but for me it is about control of my time. I have plenty of hobbies I’d like to put more effort into and starting watching threads like this to try other things.

there are also some longer trips/hikes/vacations I’ve wanted to take but feel bad taking 4 weeks off with no cell service. nature of my jobs and growth stage of the companies make that a “dick move” to the other members.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Haus

<Silver Donator>
That's just sad.

It's something I want to address in the FIRE post I'm going to make...one day (been saying this for almost two years). The idea that if you don't have someone telling you what to do with your day and you have to figure it out yourself, and that being a bad thing, is just depressing.

I would argue that it's not sad, it's a discussion of human nature. People live better lives when they have a purpose, that has been my personal experience, and what I have observed in many others. Now, for some people that means working a job, having a boss, all that. For others it means pursuing a real goal, accomplishing a life's work. In all cases it involves people having goals to keep moving towards and attaining, something to "be doing". This keeps people mentally engaged (which is a huge struggle in the elderly), and often physically in better shape so healthier to live longer.

As I mentioned, I watched my grandfather start sliding downhill mentally and physically once he hit the wall of realizing he didn't have anything left "to do". Another instance was my uncle Mickey, marine vet, worked his post military life as a pipe fitter, then mechanic. But last last 4 or so years of his life I'd see him and he'd just be sitting around, smoking, and watching TV and wasn't happy. He passed in 2020 (right at the beginning of covid) from an infection he had in his leg that he didn't go to the doctor for because he didn't really care it seemed until it was basically too late.

Now I'm struggling with this with my mother. While more of the family was here in town she was more engaged. She's in her early 70's. But since my sister and nephews moved out of town and it's just her and I in town she's fading a lot. She has few friends around (maybe 2). And in the last year or so she's started the hard fade.

In every case in my family, it seems to be when you stop having a purpose and something to do you start dying....

For me, as I mentioned. I'll probably push myself for a large paycheck generating gig another couple years, then do side consulting and other things as long as I can in my industry to keep engaged. (While moving out away from town and trying my hand at hobby farming). I have friends who's retirement plans range from "getting all the travel done I didn't when I was younger" (which I worry about a little because you're really FAR more suited for travel when you're young than when you're in your 60's+) to some people who really do think "I'm gonna sit around all day, and it will be heaven" (which I worry more for since I've seen that play out).

As I discussed once with some friends. I think people are a lot like dogs. We have breeds and bloodlines. I know I come from a "working dog" breed. I know it's not good for me not to have something constructive to be working towards. I suppose maybe somewhere there are "lap dog" and "leisure dog" breeds who can be perfectly good with a long life of sedentary whatever. I just know that's not me.

• 1Like

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
That's just sad.

Anecdotal evidence, but it was a running theme at ATT that people died relatively quicky after retiring. I'm not talking one or two folks. It is insane the number of people who died within 5 years.

General thought is the work is what gives us meaning. It doesn't necessarily have to be a job to be work. Helping to raise new grandkids every day definitely counts as work.

I retired once, it got boring and I ended up owning businesses. Obviously ditch diggers and the like are a different animal because of the physical toll of some jobs. But office folks?

• 1Like

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Yeah, the issue with that one is, how many of them are retiring because of health issues?

Anyway, I absolutely agree. Maybe my point came off wrong. It's the idea that you need someone else to tell you what to do. I get a lot of "but what do you do all day," as if not having a boss tell me what to do means I just sit there doing nothing. But having something to retire to is one of the biggest things they tell people getting ready to retire. If you don't do shit in your free time, you're still going to not do shit when you retire.

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Whats everyones outlook on this? Im thinking the value will drop to shit hole standards and then pop back up. I cant foresee it having major implications / lasting effects. Thoughts?
SHAREHOLDER ALERT: The Gross Law Firm Notifies Shareholders of Verizon Communications Inc. of a Class Action Lawsuit and a Lead Plaintiff Deadline of October 2, 2023 -- (NYSE: VZ)
12:26 PM ET 10/2/23 | GlobeNewswire

SHAREHOLDER ALERT: The Gross Law Firm Notifies Shareholders of Verizon Communications Inc. of a Class Action Lawsuit and a Lead Plaintiff Deadline of October 2, 2023 -- (NYSE: VZ)

NEW YORK, Oct. 02, 2023 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- The Gross Law Firm issues the following notice to shareholders of Verizon Communications Inc.

Shareholders who purchased shares of VZ during the class period listed are encouraged to contact the firm regarding possible lead plaintiff appointment. Appointment as lead plaintiff is not required to partake in any recovery.

CONTACT US HERE:

CLASS PERIOD: October 30, 2018 to July 26, 2023

ALLEGATIONS: The complaint alleges that during the class period, Defendants issued materially false and/or misleading statements and/or failed to disclose that: (1) Verizon owns cables around the country that are highly toxic due to being wrapped in lead, and which harm Company employees and non-employees alike; (2) it faces potentially significant litigation risk, regulatory risk, and reputational harm as a result of its ownership of these lead cables and the health risks stemming from their presence around the United States; (3) it was warned about the damage and risks presented by these cables but did not disclose that they posed a threat to employee safety, to everyday people, and communities around the country; and (4) as a result, defendants' statements about its business, operations, and prospects, were materially false and misleading and/or lacked a reasonable basis at all relevant times.

DEADLINE: October 2, 2023 Shareholders should not delay in registering for this class action. Register your information here: Verizon Loss Submission Form

NEXT STEPS FOR SHAREHOLDERS: Once you register as a shareholder who purchased shares of VZ during the timeframe listed above, you will be enrolled in a portfolio monitoring software to provide you with status updates throughout the lifecycle of the case. The deadline to seek to be a lead plaintiff is October 2, 2023. There is no cost or obligation to you to participate in this case.

WHY GROSS LAW FIRM? The Gross Law Firm is a nationally recognized class action law firm, and our mission is to protect the rights of all investors who have suffered as a result of deceit, fraud, and illegal business practices. The Gross Law Firm is committed to ensuring that companies adhere to responsible business practices and engage in good corporate citizenship. The firm seeks recovery on behalf of investors who incurred losses when false and/or misleading statements or the omission of material information by a company lead to artificial inflation of the company's stock. Attorney advertising. Prior results do not guarantee similar outcomes.

The Gross Law Firm

15 West 38th Street, 12th floor

New York, NY, 10018

Email: [email protected]

Phone: (646) 453-8903

> Dow Jones Newswires

October 02, 2023 12:26 ET (16:26 GMT)

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Whats everyones outlook on this? Im thinking the value will drop to shit hole standards and then pop back up. I cant foresee it having major implications / lasting effects. Thoughts?
Same as with AT&T.

"it was warned about the damage and risks presented by these cables but did not disclose that they posed a threat to employee safety," - Patently false. Every single swinging dick who had access to those cables was trained on lead cables and went through annual safety trainings on it.

"to everyday people" Those cables are by and large in underground duct runs. Unless "everyday" people are pumping down manholes and going inside this is patently false.

"and communities around the country" See everyday people above.

This is a crap lawsuit filed by ambulance chasers.

ps.. Lead cables havent been placed into service for probably at a minimum 50 (maybe 40) years. During the time they were, AT&T and the Baby Bells were government supervised monopolies regulated by 50 State Public Service Commissions as well as the Feds. Those cables being used were approved by the government.

• 3Like

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Over the last 4 months, $425 seems to be the line in the sand for SPY.

1696271429960.png

Ranak

Molten Core Raider
Gubmint not using GAAP, surprise! Magic accounting continues and GAAP has a whole new meaning.

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
Long as fuck but pretty hilarious/interesting. I hadn't really been paying attention to the depths of insanity that the GME weirdos were still clinging to, much less the Bed Bath & Beyond implosion lol

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
US 2-yr: 5.11%
US 5-yr: 4.729%
US 10-yr: 4.72%
US 20-yr: 5.051%
US 30-yr: 4.853

the 20 spikes over 5%

1696340077575.png

• 1Like

Tirant

Golden Knight of the Realm
What’s the rationale for the 20 to be higher than 10 or 30? I get the concepts of normal/inverted/flattening and steepening curves but why the middle hump?

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
What’s the rationale for the 20 to be higher than 10 or 30? I get the concepts of normal/inverted/flattening and steepening curves but why the middle hump?
I honestly dont know why the 20 spiked like that. I did take advantage though and bought a chunk of the 20-yr Treasuries with a 4.375% coupon that were issued last month. Locked in 5.05% yield with the price discount. 5% was my yield of interest for long dated Treasuries.