Investing General Discussion

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
When AAPL is below its 200-DMA and has earnings next week...

Dice Vegas GIF by The Weeknd

• 1Thoughts & Prayers
Reactions: 1 user

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Grabbed another chunk of SPLG at the intermediate support line ($48.55). This would be SPY $412.67. My next add would be at SPY $406-ish

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
VS what? The Dollar is at its highest vs the Yen since 1990.
That is vs dollars. He's reading the chart backwards. (For the confused, high yen per dollar is bad if you have yen. It's great for us if we're buying Japanese goods with dollars.)

Ranak

Molten Core Raider
I'll wait for the revision, but the US economy grew at an annualized 4.9% rate in the 3rd quarter. Is the government spending element of the GDP a big factor? Maybe. If this economic growth is being generated purely by deficit spending then this is going to turn into a "chase our tail" scenario where the Federal Reserve keeps raising rates to try and reduce inflation (which slows the economy down) and our Federal government running even bigger deficits trying to keep the economy propped up. Fun times.

• 1Rustled
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
That is vs dollars. He's reading the chart backwards. (For the confused, high yen per dollar is bad if you have yen. It's great for us if we're buying Japanese goods with dollars.)
Right.

It's even going the wrong way vs the Euro and the Euro sucks:

1698339554548.png

Basically, the Yen is fucked and Big P doesn't know what he's talking about.

The dollar is doing awesome, which is why you should be buying as much equities as possible even as the market continues to tank.

• 2Seriously?
Reactions: 1 users

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
I'll wait for the revision, but the US economy grew at an annualized 4.9% rate in the 3rd quarter. Is the government spending element of the GDP a big factor? Maybe. If this economic growth is being generated purely by deficit spending then this is going to turn into a "chase our tail" scenario where the Federal Reserve keeps raising rates to try and reduce inflation (which slows the economy down) and our Federal government running even bigger deficits trying to keep the economy propped up. Fun times.

Read something in the last week or so that basically said just that; all of the "growth" we're seeing is government.

• 1Solidarity

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
I took a $300 cab ride from an airport to Tokyo once and vowed to never again. $150 ride is ok, maybe its time to go to japan again.

• 1Mother of God

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Haven't done any selling for 2024 funds yet. Getting pretty nervous about the current market trajectory so I just pulled the trigger on 2 month's worth.

I kept hoping we'd pull out of this rut. And we have, just in the wrong direction.

• 1Worf
  • 1Thoughts & Prayers
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Haven't done any selling for 2024 funds yet. Getting pretty nervous about the current market trajectory so I just pulled the trigger on 2 month's worth.

I kept hoping we'd pull out of this rut. And we have, just in the wrong direction.
Selling low, always good.

It's not your fault humans have logical faults.

• 1EyeRoll

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Selling low, always good.

It's not your fault humans have logical faults.
I mean, it's not my first rodeo here. How did "selling low" look last year? I waited all year for it to recover and it never did. See my posts from December where I talked about how I liquidated part of 2023 and planned on doing the rest when the market recovered. I sold in July and September at the peaks (for expenses from Sept - Dec of this year).

But we have literally zero money to live on for 2024 right now. So my option is to sell some now in the event it keeps dropping, or sit and wait for December and take whatever the market gives me. I've bought myself until February to see what the market does. Based on how things are going, we may be testing new lows by then and I'll have wished I sold even more today.

It's really easy to talk big about timing the market when you're still accumulating. It's entirely different when you need to live off it.

If I could go back, I would've diversified 10-20% into bonds and used that as a hedge. I didn't because the previous 15 years bonds had performed like absolute shit. I couldn't have predicted that things would be this fucked for as long as they have. I thought outlasting the 2020 and 2022 drops would've been enough, but it's not looking great.

• 1Thoughts & Prayers
  • 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Ya, MSFT had that happen today. Bummer.

In captain hindsight news, I REALLY wish I'd bought some SQQQ on monday like I was considering.

tenor.gif
When the SPY 100-DMA went downward, my strats changed. No more put selling, and I am assuming any rip gets sold off until I see the 100 recover an upward arc. I expect a retest of SPY 400 and and we see how it goes from there.

• 1Solidarity