Invincible

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
yeah, i think that is one of the main reasons for the strikes, isn't it? i mean there's the issue surrounding payment for streaming obviously, but AI is a huge part of the debate. at what point is a studio obligated to pay an actor who didn't do a second's worth of work? on the other hand, an actor's voice and likeness are their brand. you can't just use a pair of nikes in your movie, all those brands need to be approved first.

Fadaar

That guy
yeah, i think that is one of the main reasons for the strikes, isn't it? i mean there's the issue surrounding payment for streaming obviously, but AI is a huge part of the debate. at what point is a studio obligated to pay an actor who didn't do a second's worth of work? on the other hand, an actor's voice and likeness are their brand. you can't just use a pair of nikes in your movie, all those brands need to be approved first.

If athletes have to approve their likeness (ie Michael Jordan not being in like any basketball games) then actors should be privy to the same protections. However Hollywood is scummy as fuck and will likely just blackball the masses of no name actors unless they sign their rights away. Straight up Cyberpunk level shit.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
If they hire a new actor that sounds similar to the old actor, do they have to pay the old actor royalties?

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
They could pay your twin, if one exists. A clone on the other hand is a future problem.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
The question is, are you imitating and deepfaking an actors voice or are you just generating the voice of a character that actor was playing?

If they don't mention the actors name at all, and it just sounds similar (and they'd be smart to make it a little different just to avoid conflict) how can someone say you impersonated an actor?
Yeah I don't know the answer to that question and in the case of jk simmons omniman and the concept of training an AI on his voice i don't know if it's a straightforward answer.

Another example is baldurs gate 3 where the most famous returning character from bg1 and bg2 used a different voice actor. That character has an extremely distinctive voice style that is very different from the actors normal speaking voice, so to me the idea of going further and training an AI to mimic that voice is more defensible.

Old vs new minsc:

Vs

. Compared to omniman vs say, another jk simmons voice which uhh, is also bg3

In jk simmons case, basically all his characters are his voice, so it'd seem more defensible to claim some ownership of the data if it was used to continue the voice over work in subsequent seasons. This is, of course, an opinion completely ignorant of current IP law, but I'm looking forward to seeing these court cases rule over the next, uhh, decade.

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
Theres so many shocking moments I don't even know what I would rank #1
right...
1692749639697.png

• 2Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
In jk simmons case, basically all his characters are his voice, so it'd seem more defensible to claim some ownership of the data if it was used to continue the voice over work in subsequent seasons. This is, of course, an opinion completely ignorant of current IP law, but I'm looking forward to seeing these court cases rule over the next, uhh, decade.
I wouldn't expect the Courts to have any kind of rational thoughts on AI and content creation. Judges know less than nothing about technology.

Fadaar

That guy
I wouldn't expect the Courts to have any kind of rational thoughts on AI and content creation. Judges know less than nothing about technology.

god help us when those retards in congress start ruling on it

• 1Like

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
god help us when those retards in congress start ruling on it
Congress is worse because they will be trying to intentionally subvert whichever end their agenda is on. The judges, at least some of them actually want to do the "right" thing, they're just not educated enough on technology to know what the right thing is. Congress will very intentionally do the wrong thing for political points.

Homsar

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
This comic has so much more potential than "The Boys" I might be disappointed with some aspects but I will say I'm happy both series in a way. Soldier boy is amazing which I would normally hate as a character from the comic. Then again no one has redeeming qualities on The Boys but maybe 3 characters?Invincible you root them like their the JL

Last edited:

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
I agree. Atom Eve, having the power to literally remake her body any way she chooses, deciding she needs to be fat for whatever misogyny/patriarchy/bullshit reason was far and away the top of my WTF list for that series. I almost stopped reading then, no joking. They are lucky the rest of the series was really fucking good. Wait, I pirated them all anyway, so I guess it doesn't matter :p

• 1Like

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
Y'all are crazy if you think this show will finish the full story, we will be lucky if we get through the first third of the comics.

I reread them all over the past few days and would be stoked if they get to the first big villian arc.

Late comic spoiler
the writers ever explain the blue glowing ribbon time reset monster beyond what we read? Also gone 5 years right after his life was looking up…dude gets no breaks.