Invincible

Adeptus

Bronze Knight of the Realm

F1aFKjSaUAAAobf.jpg
So there will be new season? Nice.

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
I think VA guild is separate from SAG, so we can expect a lot of animated shit the next year or three.

Caliane

I think VA guild is separate from SAG, so we can expect a lot of animated shit the next year or three.
I don't see any hits for "voice acting guild". I know crit role people are all Sag. and SAG-Aftra was responcible for the video game voice actor strike bakc in 2016-17.
everything I see says yes, voice actors are Sag-aftra.

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
I don't see any hits for "voice acting guild". I know crit role people are all Sag. and SAG-Aftra was responcible for the video game voice actor strike bakc in 2016-17.
everything I see says yes, voice actors are Sag-aftra.
That's a pity then. Oh well. I still have a backlog longer than I can finish in one lifetime.

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
SAG-AFTRA stands for Screen Actors Guild - American Federation of Television and Radio Artists. obviously that doesn't include "video games" as a specific mention, but radio is obviously voice acting. i assume it's a somewhat outdated title but they aren't going to adjust the name just to add to it's purview.

spronk

FPS noob
SAG AFTRA includes video game voice actors. However the other side (corporations) of the strike is AMPTP which only covers movies and TV shows. The contract between video game studios and union members is different and not up for renewal for a few more years, they did strike way back in 2016 although I honestly don't remember if anyone gave a shit back then.

more shitty news though, invincible is gonna drop 4 eps in Nov and then another 4 in 2024. fuck you, amazon. 4 episodes is not a goddamn half season

anyone watch the one off yet? girl power or good?

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

j00t

SAG AFTRA includes video game voice actors. However the other side (corporations) of the strike is AMPTP which only covers movies and TV shows. The contract between video game studios and union members is different and not up for renewal for a few more years, they did strike way back in 2016 although I honestly don't remember if anyone gave a shit back then.

more shitty news though, invincible is gonna drop 4 eps in Nov and then another 4 in 2024. fuck you, amazon. 4 episodes is not a goddamn half season

i just watched it, it was good. better animation quality than season 1, but that might be because it was designed as a one off, so more money was put into the quality. i don't know if i would expect the same quality from season 2. not that the animation in season 1 was bad, per se. anyway, no girl power or woke nonsense. it's just the origin story for Atom Eve. i never read the comics so i don't know how accurate it is or how much the embellished, but i enjoyed it.

Cybsled

It's a good origin story for Atom Eve and gives a hint of the fact she is an Omega level power in terms of superheroes in this universe. She is basically Dr. Manhattan/Molecule Man /w some intentionally designed limitations that prevent her from being the most powerful being in the universe.

Some comic book non-specific spoiler info regarding some of the stuff they talked about with her inability to manipulate living tissue and the glimpse of her full powers we got at the end of the episode

In the comics she eventually overcomes this to a degree. She learns to manipulate her own physical form and there are instances where she can essentially fully heal dying people/virtually dead people so long as they are in direct contact or extremely close proximity with her - although that is subconsciously controlled, so she can't just use that level of power on demand

• 1Like

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>

They're going to ruin the ratings for this show. Didn't SyFy do something similar with The Expanse back when they had it? Kept switching up timeslots, weird delays, etc.?

• 1Like

j00t

They're going to ruin the ratings for this show. Didn't SyFy do something similar with The Expanse back when they had it? Kept switching up timeslots, weird delays, etc.?
i think it's a "damned if you do, damned if you don't" kind of thing. the writer/actor strike really messes everything up, which is exactly why they do it. but they could delay the release until everything clears up, but that causes money problems as well as not having any real clear answer on when they can release the season. i think it also really messes up payment for everyone because they make a ton of money from it once it airs, but until it does, they are running on limited budgets. i guess that falls into the "money problems" i mentioned earlier...

on the other hand, they could release what they will have available in november, just so there's SOMETHING new out for people (same idea behind the atom eve episode) so that it stays in the public consciousness... but then you piss people off because they have to wait until -TO BE DETERMINED-.

it's like that hulk vs wolverine comic from forever ago where the first issue has hulk ripping wolverine in half, adamantium spine be damned. then the next issue didn't come out for like, 6 months. so many people were ready to dig into that series but pretty much everyone forgot about it. i don't think it actually ever finished and it was only supposed to be like a 6 issue run.

anyway, my point is i don't know if there was a right way to release this show

Homsar

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Theres so many shocking moments I don't even know what I would rank #1

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
I wonder what the legality is for imitating and deepfaking voice actors in subsequent seasons. Like, can Amazon pay JK Simmons for season 1 of voice acting and then just have someone imitate his voice and then deep-fake correct it if he doesn't sign up for following seasons? Omniman's voice is basically JK Simmons' classic voice and there are thousands of hours of JK Simmons voice out there to train on.

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I wonder what the legality is for imitating and deepfaking voice actors in subsequent seasons. Like, can Amazon pay JK Simmons for season 1 of voice acting and then just have someone imitate his voice and then deep-fake correct it if he doesn't sign up for following seasons? Omniman's voice is basically JK Simmons' classic voice and there are thousands of hours of JK Simmons voice out there to train on.
The issue with AI is the small number of existing court cases have ruled that machines, programs, etc can not own copyright it has to belong to a human owner which in this case would be JK Simmons himself. The studios current demand is that everyone automatically signs away their likeness rights for AI, specifically faces and voices, for any employment going forward. You do one gig with a studio as an extra and they can add you into whatever they want in perpetuity, no further payment or contract required. Movies, TV shows, ads, video games, political campaigns, etc etc.

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
The question is, are you imitating and deepfaking an actors voice or are you just generating the voice of a character that actor was playing?

If they don't mention the actors name at all, and it just sounds similar (and they'd be smart to make it a little different just to avoid conflict) how can someone say you impersonated an actor?

Fadaar

That guy
The question is, are you imitating and deepfaking an actors voice or are you just generating the voice of a character that actor was playing?

If they don't mention the actors name at all, and it just sounds similar (and they'd be smart to make it a little different just to avoid conflict) how can someone say you impersonated an actor?

that sounds like an answer that we'll get with court cases in the next couple years