Invincible

Burns

Golden Baronet of the Realm
A ratio? You haven't explained what infinity looks like, so I'm not sure why we need to explain what two infinities look like.
He said there can be a majority in infinity, I asked for clarification because I don't understand how there can be.

Cybsled

As for real life, the multiverse as a scientific theory does not mean it's real, nor does the theory necessary resemble what some non-physicist trained comic book author, or worse, Hollywood writers tries to portray it as

Main problem with Hollywood multiverse is it is always Earth and Human centric. You step on a butterfly 65 million years ago and suddenly the world is different. But what about trillions of butterfly analogs on different planets around the universe? The idea there is 1 universe for literally every change in an action, while supported by infinity, doesn’t make much sense when actions of divergence are everything from the nazis winning WW2 to “this ant decided to eat the Cheeto instead of the jollyrancher on May 8, 1996”

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
I suppose the show will eventually reveal why our Mark is good and the other Marks are evil.
My luck, the deciding factor will be Amber that kept him from turning evil, because black woman power. I hate that fucking cunt. Since I rewatched it I even got to hear the gay friend tell him he should read stuff by Ta Nehisi Coates (notorious anti-white black guy who also created a bunch of shitty comics) and fourth wave feminism because that's what Amber is into. If I remember correctly he was with Eve for most of the comics too, which makes this even more annoying.

Boohoo, I figured out you are Invincible because I'm sooooo smart, but I am still mad at you for not revealing your incredibly important secret identity to someone you've only known a few months, someone who always bitches at you too btw, and you're still always late and saving people is no excuse because even though I'm all about woke bullshit, I'm the most important person in the world and you should recognize that fact and stop saving people if it means you are going to miss dinner with my mom.

Did I mention I hate that fucking cunt?

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
My luck, the deciding factor will be Amber that kept him from turning evil, because black woman power. I hate that fucking cunt. Since I rewatched it I even got to hear the gay friend tell him he should read stuff by Ta Nehisi Coates (notorious anti-white black guy who also created a bunch of shitty comics) and fourth wave feminism because that's what Amber is into. If I remember correctly he was with Eve for most of the comics too, which makes this even more annoying.

Boohoo, I figured out you are Invincible because I'm sooooo smart, but I am still mad at you for not revealing your incredibly important secret identity to someone you've only known a few months, someone who always bitches at you too btw, and you're still always late and saving people is no excuse because even though I'm all about woke bullshit, I'm the most important person in the world and you should recognize that fact and stop saving people if it means you are going to miss dinner with my mom.

I mean… comic spoilers
she is out of the story soon forever and over the course of events she is a blip on all the fucked up that is coming.

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
So what does the majority of a binary outcome, when both have an infinite number of instances, look like?

Edit: As it relates to infinite multiverses.
Larger than the minority infinite, or are you going to waddle through and say that all infinites are equal? What you should be arguing is there isn’t enough data to establish a majority as a statement of fact. Sure 1000 billion multiverses went one way, and only one went the other. This is just a case of a minor streak of bad luck in coin flips in the terms of infinity, I mean heads 1000 billion times in a row should happen now and then all things equal. I still think the majority of cases will go the other way.

But if you accept the chances, one infinite becomes demonstrably bigger than the other.

Also, multiverses are fake and gay. I hope this retardrd shit stays in the hand wave territory, cause I despise writing that focuses on them.

Burns

Larger than the minority infinite, or are you going to waddle through and say that all infinites are equal? What you should be arguing is there isn’t enough data to establish a majority as a statement of fact. Sure 1000 billion multiverses went one way, and only one went the other. This is just a case of a minor streak of bad luck in coin flips in the terms of infinity, I mean heads 1000 billion times in a row should happen now and then all things equal. I still think the majority of cases will go the other way.

But if you accept the chances, one infinite becomes demonstrably bigger than the other.

Also, multiverses are fake and gay. I hope this retardrd shit stays in the hand wave territory, cause I despise writing that focuses on them.
That's basically saying the same thing, I guess. As I understand it, there can't be a majority of any event in an infinity of multiverses because there would be no way to measure it. If an event can either result in outcome 1 or outcome 2 (Mark sides with his father, or he doesn't), there should still be an infinity of outcome 1 and an infinity of outcome 2, therefor outcome 1 and outcome 2 happen an infinite amount of times, or the exact same amount, which is infinity.

Furthermore, if you were measuring infinity, you would need to do it infinity amount of times because there is no number where you could definitively say anything about infinity.

...and yes, this is why pop-science multiverse shit is fucking dumb in media.

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
...and yes, this is why pop-science multiverse shit is fucking dumb in media.
I feel like it's the new "time-travel" bullshit tropes we had all over media 10-12ish years ago. An easy macguffin for writers to "explain" their way out of shitty plotholes.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Caliane

Main problem with Hollywood multiverse is it is always Earth and Human centric. You step on a butterfly 65 million years ago and suddenly the world is different. But what about trillions of butterfly analogs on different planets around the universe? The idea there is 1 universe for literally every change in an action, while supported by infinity, doesn’t make much sense when actions of divergence are everything from the nazis winning WW2 to “this ant decided to eat the Cheeto instead of the jollyrancher on May 8, 1996”
I see here, also part of the problem is some fiction using "alternate timelines" and "other universe" as synonyms. and they aren't.

yes, "alternate timelines" would have infinite existence if they could possibly exist. alternate universes don't need to be.

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm

honestly that's just a trope with superheroes and their secret identities. it happens ALL THE TIME. when a superhero reveals they are a superhero everyone always gets super pissed for being lied to. a bunch of times they'll even admit that they understand why they kept it hidden, but are still like "you still lied to me" and i'm just like... if my best friend just one day came up to me and told me they were a superhero, the first thing i'd do is slap them for telling me. BRO DON'T TELL ME THAT. i want plausible deniability. i don't want your enemies finding out because i had some weird slip of the tongue, i don't want those enemies hurting me because of some slip of the tongue. that is a whole lot of responsibility that i didn't ask for!

Goatface

he could have the power to only visit verses where there is a mark. even with infinite, there could be a limit on the number of worlds with a mark.

if a branch system and new verses are created with major events, he could have the ability to see all the branches that come from mark making that choice. all the branches that didn't have a mark, or an earth, etc are meaningless.

Burns

he could have the power to only visit verses where there is a mark. even with infinite, there could be a limit on the number of worlds with a mark.

if a branch system and new verses are created with major events, he could have the ability to see all the branches that come from mark making that choice. all the branches that didn't have a mark, or an earth, etc are meaningless.
If there is some kind of limit on the amount of infinite multiverses, it would no longer be infinite?

velk

Trakanon Raider
He said there can be a majority in infinity, I asked for clarification because I don't understand how there can be.

Ok, for a super basic example -

There's an infinite amount of numbers right ?

There's also an infinite amount of numbers that end in zero.

If you pick a number at random, what are the chances that the number you picked ends in zero ?

It's still going to be 10%, even though there are an infinite number of numbers that end in zero, because there is a larger infinite set of numbers that do not end in zero.

It's works exactly the same way with theoretical universes - if 9/10 of universes have an Invincible/Omniman teamup, then picking one at random is likely to be a Invincible/Omniman teamup, and picking 100 at random is likely to get you an overwhelming majority of teamups out of those 100. There's still an infinite amount of non-teamup universes but that has no bearing on your chances of running into them.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
If you pick a number at random, what are the chances that the number you picked ends in zero ?

It's still going to be 10%, even though there are an infinite number of numbers that end in zero, because there is a larger infinite set of numbers that do not end in zero.
*computes in binary*

wut.

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
The infinite universes thing is impossible to navigate. Searching them for anything is like finding the second needle in the haystack you didn’t know to look for. Math is math and will fuck you or work for you depending on how good at it you are.

Aldarion

Egg Nazi
Every story that tries to deal with an "infinite" number of universes ends up fucking stupid. Yes, even that one that y'all inexplicably loved so much. Every fucking one.

Theres no reason it has to be infinite, and it gets substantially less stupid that way.

I know that in this show the guy said it was infinite, but how would he know?

Goatface

I know that in this show the guy said it was infinite, but how would he know?

the ability to find a 1000 of himself, locate the clones etc would require some type of foreknowledge of other verses or he would spent a lifetime just searching. would he have to know all of infinity to know it exists?

Harshaw

Throbbing Member
Austin Powers Nerd GIF

Burns

Ok, for a super basic example -

There's an infinite amount of numbers right ?

There's also an infinite amount of numbers that end in zero.

It's works exactly the same way with theoretical universes - if 9/10 of universes have an Invincible/Omniman teamup, then picking one at random is likely to be a Invincible/Omniman teamup, and picking 100 at random is likely to get you an overwhelming majority of teamups out of those 100. There's still an infinite amount of non-teamup universes but that has no bearing on your chances of running into them.
Sure, I can see if you have more options of outcome it would change the ratio, but that's a 1 out of 10 choice, this is a 1 out of 2 choice (he helps his dad subjugate earth or he doesn't). You can't just add additional outcomes to a binary choice, just because. Even if Galactus teleports Mark halfway across the galaxy and turns him into Tie Fighter, it still counts as Mark not siding with his dad to take over the earth.

Last edited: