Iron Man 3 [Spoilers Everywhere]

Sutekh

Blackwing Lair Raider
i didnt mind it. its not the mandarin.

Tarrant makes his Batman point. yet...
we just got 3 movies without Batman in them so... yeah, that way worse. At least here they don't pretend he was the Mandarin.

More annoyed with Iron patriot.

Overall, really liked the movie.
"should be called Tony Stark 3, not Iron man 3" is kindof valid.
And, it is a bit annoying, like at no point in the entire movie, did Tony wear a fully functional IM suit. Damaged, broken, malfunctioning, just nonstop. Kindof hard to have some "fuck yeah" when at no point was he in control.
Yeah I really REALLY liked the original story line behind the Iron Patriot, kind of sad to see that shoved to the side. Oh well maybe they'll do something with it in the upcoming movies.
I rewatched all the marvel movies after seeing this one and I know exactly what you mean about the armor and the fuck yeah moment. It was so fucking refreshing to see Ironman come flying around in the Avengers and change the music in the Shield plane/helicopter that Black Widow was flying and just watch him decimate Loki + fight with Thor. It's like holding in a massive dump and then letting it rip, after watching Ironman 3.

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
Technically, Galactus is a swarm of insect-like things in the Ultimate Universe. It isn't a single entity as it was in classic marvel.

UltGali.jpg

http://img52.imageshack.us/img52/201/img022el.jpg(what they do)
WTF is this shit?

Azrayne

Irenicus did nothing wrong
Saw it, loved it. I know the comic fans are bitching about the whole Mandarin thing, but I thought it was much cooler as a twist/an exploration of those themes than he would have been as a generic 'brown dude who hates americas FREEDUMZ' terrorist villain. Easily the best of the Iron Man movies, which is rare for a trilogy (and a comic trilogy at that). Only complaint is that I'm sick to death of the whole 'rescue the president of the USA!' trope. It's been played to death since the 80's, and really doesn't resonate with the 5 700 000 000 people in the world who aren't American. But all in all, really good movie. They did a great job of giving him situations where he has to fight without his suit to add some tension and variety to the action without making it too forced (at least for the first 2/3 of the movie) as well.

Also I now kinda wanna bang Gwyneth Paltrow.

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
WTF is this shit?
In the ultimate universe they wanted to create a "new" Galactus. They couldn't imagine a being only a little larger than a sky scraper being able to eat an entire planet, so they envisioned it something like a swarm of Locusts or ants that can destroy the entire harvest of a farm in no time at all. They called it "Gah Lak Tus". It was clever at the time, but really takes away from the giant entity thing.

The 2nd picture that I linked (but didn't display due to it's size) shows how they work.
Here it is again:
http://img52.imageshack.us/img52/201/img022el.jpg

Also, click this link to read an actual write up of it.
http://marvel.com/universe/Gah_Lak_Tus_%28Ultimate%29

Caliane

Yeah I really REALLY liked the original story line behind the Iron Patriot, kind of sad to see that shoved to the side. Oh well maybe they'll do something with it in the upcoming movies.
I rewatched all the marvel movies after seeing this one and I know exactly what you mean about the armor and the fuck yeah moment. It was so fucking refreshing to see Ironman come flying around in the Avengers and change the music in the Shield plane/helicopter that Black Widow was flying and just watch him decimate Loki + fight with Thor. It's like holding in a massive dump and then letting it rip, after watching Ironman 3.
yeah, reducing Iron patriot to just a name drop is a huge mistake imho. It had no point. it annoys fans, and casuals won't know who he is at all. so why do it?

Another point on the movie I think would be the odd Avengers tie-ins. I'm not 100% sure on the point of giving Tony anxiety attacks. But still ok that was mostly fine.

Avengers tower though.

1. Tony calls out the Mandarin and gives his home address in Cali.. Mandarin attacks his home.
2. Tony flys to Tennessee. Leaves his mark 44 there, and travels to miami.
3. Tony calls his armor telepathically from Miami. It takes apparently 2min to travel 847 miles. Greater then hypersonic, >mach 25.
4. Tony then calls his armor from LA. which also appears in 15minutes. holy shit.

This should have been a plot point. A countdown on just exactly how long they would take.
Then at the same time "house party". wrong joke man.
Tony called out the Mandarin to his home. What SHOULD have happened, was Tony responding with, ok, but did you forget where I WORK?
At which point, we have a scene of Tony activating mark 12-42 in Avengers tower, New York City. And having the suits fly in from New York, not LA.
At the same time, the black hole image sucked. Even if they did stick with LA. we should have seen the suits. Like the cells in Cabin in the woods.

I think having the callouts to Avengers only for negatives a mistake.

Szlia

yeah, reducing Iron patriot to just a name drop is a huge mistake imho. It had no point. it annoys fans, and casuals won't know who he is at all. so why do it?
I don't know who the Iron Patriot is, but it worked with the image vs identity theme of the movie, so it has a point.

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
saw it earlier today... maybe it's because i was never really all that attached to the mandarin... maybe it's because i already spoiled myself on what the twist was... but it didn't bother me at all... Ben Kingsley did an AMAZING job with him... it's entirely possible that it really would have bothered me if someone else portrayed him, but Sir Ben just... was incredibly entertaining.

i really enjoyed the themes and ideas in the movie... for me, it makes it very hard to rate it compared to the others... it was clearly better than the second one... in the first one, everything felt new and shiny... it was one of those rare moments in film history when you feel in your soul that the character you've read about for decades was being portrayed IDENTICALLY on screen. everyone has their own interpretations on characters but RDJ IS tony stark. he's not playing him on camera... he didn't turn into him... he was and always will be tony stark. on top of that it was just movie magic to see ironman in action. to see him fly, to see him fight... it was just amazing.

im3 on the other hand... we're jaded now... we've seen ironman in action 3 times now... it's not new and shiny anymore... someone said that they were upset that ironman never had a fully functional/undamaged suit on the entire movie... personally, i enjoyed that... i enjoyed the fact that he's CLEARLY a broken person and his armor reflects that. i assume that was a conscious choice by shane black, but maybe it wasn't... i enjoyed the fact that no matter how many new and shiny toys he makes, he is, at his core, broken. and his armors aren't going to be worth anything if he doesn't fix that.

the imagery and ideas in the movie were that he stopped believing that HE was ironman and started believing (subconsciously) that it was the suit. a lot of poeple complain about this movies departure from the comics... but there was a TON of ideas taken straight from the comics and blended into one story. i can't say whether or not i thought this was better than the first one... because i think at it's core it's very different from the first one... not as different as, say, alien and aliens... but you can't rightly say one movie is better than the other because they are 2 very different films. anyways that's my soapbox

edit: by the way... for the comments about this being Tony Stark 3 instead of Ironman 3... people don't enjoy batman because of bruce wayne... people don't enjoy superman because of clark kent... they don't enjoy hulk becaue of bruce banner... planet hulk and world war hulk are like... some of the most favorite hulk stories out there and bruce banner isn't even in them... tony stark, however, is ironman whether he's wearing the armor or not. people enjoy ironman because he's tony stark. there have been plenty of stories where he hardly puts the suit on... and plenty where he wears the suit but doesn't really do anything with it. visually, yeah it's cool to see him in some armor blowing crap up... but heck, even rhodes is boring outside of warmachine. (though cheadle was incredibly enjoyable in this). tony on the other hand... he's the same in and out of the armor.

Cad

scientia potentia est
<Bronze Donator>
So I went to see Iron Man and saw Tin Man instead. Holy crap the suit was so fucking weak. The same guy that fought off swarms of aliens including giant worms and went toe to toe with Thor gets 1-shotted by an 18-wheeler and ripped to shreds by biologically enhanced humans.

In the first movie he got hit with a tank round and just had a little bit of scuff marks. Now the suits are disposable pieces of shit.

B-

Sutekh

Blackwing Lair Raider
I don't know who the Iron Patriot is, but it worked with the image vs identity theme of the movie, so it has a point.
After the Secret Invasion plotline (Skrull invasion) Norman Osborne became kind of a "hero" by manipulating the media during the fight, he was made leader of SHIELD (HAMMER at the time) over Tony Stark and changed the Iron Man armor in to the Iron Patriot with the Red, White, Blue and stars symbol. It's a huge let down because the Iron Patriot is basically a fake super hero that just used his power to fuck people up and do more harm than good (as you'd expect from the Green Goblin in an Iron man suit). It basically sets up one of the, in my opinion greatest marvel series, Siege.

Caliane

After the Secret Invasion plotline (Skrull invasion) Norman Osborne became kind of a "hero" by manipulating the media during the fight, he was made leader of SHIELD (HAMMER at the time) over Tony Stark and changed the Iron Man armor in to the Iron Patriot with the Red, White, Blue and stars symbol. It's a huge let down because the Iron Patriot is basically a fake super hero that just used his power to fuck people up and do more harm than good (as you'd expect from the Green Goblin in an Iron man suit). It basically sets up one of the, in my opinion greatest marvel series, Siege.
and it needs to be pointed out, the events of Secret invasion and Norman becoming a "hero" are also directly related to the Civil war event. In which Tony is vilified for advocating registration, and doing some crazy shit like cloning Thor. Tony is kindof hated at the end of Civil war by alot of people. A great many villains were pardoned in Civil war, in exchange for registering. (some were legit about it)
Norman gets pardoned, takes credit for victory in Skrull invasion, gets Shield head position. forms secret and Dark Avenger teams. And leads into Siege as noted.

Its really all too much for a movie of course.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
The Mandarin treatment is silly, like many have said the Mandarin is Iron Man's Joker. Instead they they bin laden'd him up and made him look silly. For issue 500, the only villian that could be featured was the Mandarin.

All this silly flying armor, they could have gone another way... a better way. They could have had the armor wars. I mean a simple story could have been the ten rings group hacked and stole the armor and reactor designs and just gave away the plans, knowing that tony and his ego would not stand for his designs being used for destruction. Sure we saw different types of ironmen suits in 2, but for this, they could just draw up 9 villian suits and show tony going after each one. And then, he goes after... the iron patriot, the us military version of iron that they made based off the stolen plans, to tony, no one is allowed to use his designs, not even the govt, which is what the 10 rings goal is, to make tony hated and villified and even a fugitive.

the villian would ultimately be tony's ego, which was always the case in every other comics, it was always his fight against
1. the mandarin
2. minor villians
3. alcohol
4. himself

the worst things they ever to the movie was destroy his support structure. sure pepper kind of was interested in him, but ultimately she always chose to be with happy(jon favre) and even if they left stark, he'd have his company destroyed and rebuild again, inviting pepper and happy along. they even replaced his "alfred" with an acronym (yea i know JARVIS is an ultimates thing). And jim rhodes is supposed to be about as close to a bff as tony stark can handle, not his military liason or handler or babysitter.

iron man 3 is all sorts of wrong to someone who grew up reading the comics, however to someone just watching a RDJ movie, that tries to tie in last years blockbuster and making terrorism relatable, it's a good movie for that.

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I think having the Mandarin "twist" spoiled for me well in advanced helped me enjoy the movie as an action/comedy movie and not get too pantywadded about it. Had fun watching it as that. Didn't feel nearly Iron Manny enough, but it was better than 2.

Agree about the anonymous suit shit, felt like Transformers 2 that way. Oh look, 500 new suits(robots) that are completely nondescript battling 500 henchmen(robots) that are completely nondescript.

Anyways, plenty of complaints as a comic fan, but I enjoyed it as a movie with my nerd rage-o-meter turned off.

elidib

Vyemm Raider
Here's what they should have done:

Instead of the end-credit scene we got that was just a joke, they should have cut it to Ben Kingsley, sitting in his cell in prison, makes some stupid comment to his cellmate in his british accent so you know he wasn't faking it the whole time or anything. Then, he sees a small glint of something shiny in the corner. He gets up, goes to investigate it, finds a small object covered in dirt. He uses his inmate jumpsuit to wipe the grime off of it - lo and behold, it's a ring. A ring with a large colored gemstone. Give him that "oh, interesting" head cocked expression until he tries the ring on: then his expression visibly darkens and turns 100% dead fucking serious, end scene.

Now give me my money Marvel!

Phoenix Prime_sl

shitlord
You know I was thinking something completely along those lines, except he is leaving the house, getting out before his arrest and he finds one of the rings in an old carved box in the mansion.

Flipmode

EQOA Refugee
The movie was entertaining but holy shit I'm a little pissed at how they did the Mandarin. That was lame as fuck.

Nidhogg

Molten Core Raider
I was most annoyed with Tony Stark, mastermind and tactical genius couldn't take his suit, fly 10 feet over Mandarin's head and just shoot him in the head a bunch. Where are his armor piercing bad guy busting missiles and repulsor/chestlaser things?

Took me out of the movie completely. "Hey, this guy can melt metal, let's go fistfight him."