Is the Democratic party still a relevant political party?

iannis

Musty Nester
I look at it a bit differently.

The Dems are at a crossroads and where they do from here depends on how well the recognize what that crossroads is. They can say it looks like where the Republicans were in '08 and go that route, in which case we will see the more progressive wing of the party coalesce around a movement to push the party as a whole away from the neo-liberal forces that have been at it's rudder for more than 2 decades now. The party would slide further to the left and our politics would become even more divided than it is now.

Or they can respond to it the way the Republicans did to their situation in 1992, when Bush was defeated. The party drilled downward and focused on winning local and state elections to not only be in a better position to control the redistricting that would follow the approaching census but to also start building up their ranks of prospective candidates for higher offices. They will need to relax some of their positions to give candidates the flexibility to win at that level though, particularly on things like gun control, at not be at such odds with the national party in order for that to be successful in the long term. They would also have to adopt one of the central tenets of conservatism as well; local and state-level solutions and approaches to some issues instead of everything being top down and uniform.

I consider the later of those to be preferable but I have my doubts as to it going that way.

It's just going to be so hard to not let Trump hook them. He offers such delicious bait.

I really hope they go for option #2 as well. I'm teh sadz that Ross lost. I liked that she was willing to take positions on difficult topics.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

BrotherWu

MAGA
<Silver Donator>
Yes, but what's the likely hood of 50% of tjem getting job that don't involve coffee shops?

Pretty low given my ancedotal experience with such useless humans. One of my older sisters, who is highly educated (PhD) is mid 30s, lives with my parents (anove the garage, not in the basement, so slight difference). I gove her a 0% chance of ever not working in a coffee shop since you know she finisjed her PhD almost a decade ago and has never not been a coffee serving cunt.

Sounds like your sister is in the other 50%.

Seriously, though, the saying "If you are not a liberal at 25, you have not heart. If you are not a conservative at 35, you have no brain." applies. I think this is on overstatement because there are obviously liberals who are educated and have a high IQ. Hopefully, as they age they gain real life experiences and become a little more practical, self-reliant and accountable. I can't explain why some smart people don't move to center as they gain life experiences. It seems natural to me but maybe I'm wrong that the center is the ideal. Or, maybe I'm overly optimistic about people like your sister to reach their potential.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
Sounds like your sister is in the other 50%.

Seriously, though, the saying "If you are not a liberal at 25, you have not heart. If you are not a conservative at 35, you have no brain." applies. I think this is on overstatement because there are obviously liberals who are educated and have a high IQ. Hopefully, as they age they gain real life experiences and become a little more practical, self-reliant and accountable. I can't explain why some smart people don't move to center as they gain life experiences. It seems natural to me but maybe I'm wrong that the center is the ideal. Or, maybe I'm overly optimistic about people like your sister to reach their potential.
The lifelong liberals are generally the ones in academia or other fields that generally contribute nothing to the world.

• 3Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users

Bubbles

2022 Asshat Award Winner
<Bronze Donator>
It's more like once the loans start to come due and their parents stop helping them with money then they too will realize there are more important things in life than what vegetable you identify with.

I, for one, identify as a Los Angeles class attack submarine, thank you very much.
Here's me emerging from the waves like Phoebe Cates. Don't fap too hard

0876205.jpg

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Cybsled

All this has happened before and all this will happen again

Party X gets majority
Party X tries to go full tilt in the extreme
People get sick of that shit
Party Y reaps the rewards of Party X trying to go full extreme
Party Y gets majority
Party Y tries to go full tilt in the extreme
People get sick of that shit

Over and over and over...

Then people think compromise is a bad word. No, it isn't. Compromise in the middle and get shit done.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

khorum

Murder Apologist
Are you always bursting out of the calm ocean so toxically masculine-y?

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Szlia

The question is, did some of the white blue collar workers of the rust belt became republicans or did they just vote for the guy who talked about their issues?

Remember that looking at the maps and demographics of the 2012 election, it looked like the only possible path for republicans to win the presidential election again was for them to appeal to the social conservatism of minorities. These maps did not really change in 2016 (see Nevada and Virginia and, to a lesser extend, the fact that Texas is still on track to become a swing state in a couple of elections - though with the bigger Chicago leaking into Indiana, it surprising to see it only went blue in 2012), what changed is that the republicans did not run their usual socially conservative and/or big business guy. They ran a populist, while the democrats ran the closest thing to a big business liberal they could find, resulting in the rust belt barely flipping, but flipping nonetheless.

We'll see how it goes in 4 years (if there are still presidential elections that is! :p)

• 1Like

Lendarios

Trump's Staff
<Gold Donor>
They need to focus less on social issues and more on economic issues.
Once the economy is back on track for everyone, they can go back to social issues.

They need to get the rust belt back, jobs need to go back to the USA. Not sure how to do it, or sell it.

• 1Like

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
I'm liberal and I'm 30. I make pretty solid money - even in SF terms. I'm typically in favor of government services and taxes to support them. The extra $300 in taxes I might spend of the course of the year doesn't mean shit to me and results in a positive change overall. I also don't own anything. I know that changes peoples' perspectives.

• 1Like

Lithose

Buzzfeed Editor
If people want to know how a nation will turn out, look to it's youth. This is how the Millenials voted. It was the old and middle-aged that voted Trump in. In 10 years time once the old are dead and more of young blue-hairs have reached voting age then the Dems will rule. The Dems will most likely realise the fuckup they made and find someone who can beat Trump in the next election. It'll probably be a disabled, black trans-woman who grew up as an adopted child in a latino family. They'll have so many minority cards to play Trump won't stand a chance. It scares the living shit out of me.

View attachment 97988

Yeah, everyone thinks like this--then they grow up. As people get older and get more life experience, as they watch failure after failure from the government, and how the "Elite" who say they are your friends shit on you time and time again--the pessimism and skepticism begins to set in. The realization that you can't take people at the word (Or at least certain people) starts to worm is way into your mind for some (Not all, but some). The need to fit in decreases at the same time as you become established in life, it's not as important to 'be cool' on a super-Liberal campus, or be loved on social media, and the desperation to subvert yourself to the cult decreases (Conservative kids experience this too sometimes with religion ect.)

Eventually it all culminates in what you have on this board--where the skeptics will move between left and right depending on what they find the least bad (Regardless of whether they started hard right or left). Or some of them will simply bend right as anger at the government's constantly failure wants to see as much of it out of their lives as possible. And that's the real difference between older folks and kids; it's not intelligence, its wisdom--it's seeing how the exact same situation has played out before, and having a sense of how it will play out again. And once you've been disappointed enough, lied to enough, tricked enough--your perception of things starts to become more critical, and the desire to not trust others is slashed.

That blue sea's biggest chance of remaining was if Hillary won. It would have confirmed everything the media said, and cemented trust in the media and their little dogmatic social ideologues (Like the Hollywood I'm with her crowd). Trump is a massive dose of reality, it's the first stop on that train of lies, disappointment, and trickery--showing these kids its important not to be manipulated. And every time Trump makes them angry, every time he needles them, that will hopefully grow (Not for all, but for some). They will start to understand why their parents don't get so enthusiastic about 'new trends', or why their parents urge them to read the whole article and not the headline....Then, they will look around one day and realize they are now the bitter old folks while they walk into a booth and quietly vote for Ivanka while their own shitty kids talk about how Chelsea is the way forward.

• 1Like

brekk

Dancing Dino Superstar
<Bronze Donator>
The question is, did some of the white blue collar workers of the rust belt became republicans or did they just vote for the guy who talked about their issues?

See that's where Republicans have this wrong. People didn't vote R, they voted Trump. In his first 100 days list you can already see him at odds with a Republican controlled congress. It will be glorious when he calls out both the R's and D's for being obstructionist of what he wants to do.

Bernie in the primaries and Trump in the general have shown the value currently of not being closely associated with either established party. Trump is proof that 15% approval ratings can burn either party hard.

With American's addiction to the idea of celebrity I forsee the weakening of both parties in the future. Outside of major standouts from within we may see a shift to individuals running for president on both sides that are at odds with congress.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>

Yeah, don't put too much emphasis on one becoming a Republican or Democrat. This board in large part is an example of people choosing to vote one way or another without regard for a specific party line.

• 1Like

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
Realistically, the majority of the country is way more democratic than republican. If Trump had not won this election, the Republican party would need a complete overhaul. It still does because the majority of their representatives aren't sympathetic to the cause. Dems will (almost) always beat them. That's why the only candidates that ever run for office in CA are Dem and only Dem.

• 1Like

Xalara

Golden Squire
They need to focus less on social issues and more on economic issues.
Once the economy is back on track for everyone, they can go back to social issues.

They need to get the rust belt back, jobs need to go back to the USA. Not sure how to do it, or sell it.

That's the problem, the jobs aren't coming back period. The factories might come back but they'll be full of automated robots.

Neither the Republicans nor the Democrats have admitted to this. The closest a politician came to admitting this was Obama earlier this year.

That said, something needs to be done about the rust belt. However, the sooner we admit the jobs aren't coming back the sooner we can start working on real solutions.

Edit: I should add that today it's the rust belt, but tomorrow it'll be truck drivers and fast food workers. Hell not even lawyers and doctors are safe from automation.

Feanor

Karazhan Raider
I'm liberal and I'm 30. I make pretty solid money - even in SF terms. I'm typically in favor of government services and taxes to support them. The extra $300 in taxes I might spend of the course of the year doesn't mean shit to me and results in a positive change overall. I also don't own anything. I know that changes peoples' perspectives.
Blanket statements such as "all liberals are dumb" and vice versa are pure nonsense. People who have got all the answers are everywhere. Of course, making fun of one another is too much fun to pass up.