Is the MMO Market imploding?

tad10

Elisha Dushku
There are a couple of 100,000 gamers willing to pay a subscription for a (for lack of better terminology) "hardcore" MMO. It's not really what I mean because as a now casual player I too would want to play on this "hardcore" MMO.

However a game for those 200,000 or so players has to:

1. Be designed cheaply (Which means zones not seemless like VG or EQN).
2. Incorporate some new technologies (Be it voxel, destructive zones or something like StoryBricks NPC AI or both). Without new technologies, there's not a lot of reason for people to move from Rift or EQ2.
3. Modernize the UI and reduce button-mashing.

I think the Holy Grail of a seemless world is one of the big stumbling blocks of recent MMOS - it is what hamstrung Vanguard. Had they gone zones they could have finished the world and eliminated most of the bugs.

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
I think McQuaid offered to make us the best hardcore MMO ever if we were willing to pay $50 a month for it.

Rhuobhe

N00b
One day, a small time developer will make a very challenging low-cost MMO. A generic version of Everquest that isnotEverquest. Please let me know when that happens so that I can give them my money.

dgrabs_sl

shitlord
$15 a month is really nothing these days, in my opinion. I'd gladly pay $30+ a month for a really well done niche MMO.

supertouch_sl

shitlord
Oh great, another thread where people talk about shitty Eq design like it's the greatest thing ever. Newsflash: You're not an enlightened few who can look down on the lesser lifeforms because you know what's great and they're all 14 year old CoD fans screaming obscenities into their headset.

If you think falling to your death as soon as you start out and then being murdered with no chance of survival is better than taking out a fort of storm troopers then that's fine, but you're delusional if you think that's "better"
Yeah, because exploring a lifeless world and participating in the occasional mundane group content is soooooooooooo awesome. Games like EQ embody the "mmo spirit" more than modern games ever will because they completely miss the point of the genre. Taking out a fort of storm troopers would be better suited to a small scale co-op game where the developers can actually flesh out a story and provide meaningful content.

tad10

Elisha Dushku
Yeah, because exploring a lifeless world and participating in the occasional mundane group content is soooooooooooo awesome. Games like EQ embody the "mmo spirit" more than modern games ever will because they completely miss the point of the genre. Taking out a form of storm troopers would be better suited to a small scale co-op game where the developers can actually flesh out a story and providing meaningful content.
EA really should just release a single-player version of SWTOR for those of us who are never going to play SWTOR.

Lasch

Trakanon Raider
$15 a month is really nothing these days, in my opinion. I'd gladly pay $30+ a month for a really well done niche MMO.
I'd pay 30+ per month for a better game or if it just meant better/faster CS for a server and/or to keep the f2p kiddos out.

nuday

Golden Squire
EA really should just release a single-player version of SWTOR for those of us who are never going to play SWTOR.
I decided to give it another go (I played right at launch for like two weeks) last week. I stopped as soon as I found out that one of the f2p things was your action bars. As in, they would only let you have one action bar unless you bought them one more at a time. I've played f2p games before, but that seems ridiculous.

Shonuff

Mr. Poopybutthole
The market isn't dead. Players are just waiting for a game that isn't the same rehashed shit.
Yup. I've played every MMO except AC (but played AC2), and I'm thinking only three MMO's introduced anything new of substance. The rest have copied EQ and WOW.

kudos

<Banned>
Wrong on all accounts.

I agree no one would give a fuck if you quit the game. But that is just you. For some people that have worked on building a guild or have been with a guild for a decent amount of time it hurts when someone leaves. That can be said about any game including EQ, if you were in a shit guild or in a guild that had hundreds of members, no one would give a fuck.

Again, no one cares what you say because you are nobody, same would be if you shit called people in a top guild in EQ, if you are nobody then nobody would care. The time it takes to get back into normal mode raiding? That would take a while, we're talking 4-6 weeks maybe longer if you have shitty luck / playing casually. That might not be a decent amount of time to regear but for most people that is. That doesn't include leveling either. And your last point is laughable at best, not going to respond to that shit.
Let it be known this is what a salty little faggot looks like when he's mad on a forum. Lol. 99% of this forum just said the same thing as me yet you're the only retard who can't grasp it. Just go away you obviously don't belong on this forum. People here seem to be above you and you're not on our level you sad little man.

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Oh great, another thread where people talk about shitty Eq design like it's the greatest thing ever. Newsflash: You're not an enlightened few who can look down on the lesser lifeforms because you know what's great and they're all 14 year old CoD fans screaming obscenities into their headset.

If you think falling to your death as soon as you start out and then being murdered with no chance of survival is better than taking out a fort of storm troopers then that's fine, but you're delusional if you think that's "better"
Why do you always overly rage when EQ is mentioned lol?

Dumar_sl

shitlord
Probably because he's a fucking newb who started with WoW and didn't find this community before MMO's went carebear.
I get that from a lot of friends who started with WoW. It's this angsty, almost wanna-be hipster attitude. I'm not trying to be elite or hipster whatsoever when I tell them because I loathe that aloof attitude. They truly don't know what an mmo is, but their only responses are angsty ones.

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I get that from a lot of friends who started with WoW. It's this angsty, almost wanna-be hipster attitude. I'm not trying to be elite or hipster whatsoever when I tell them because I loathe that aloof attitude. They truly don't know what an mmo is, but their only responses are angsty ones.
The industry has made a ton of games for them. I never understood the anger when people ask for just 1 for us? EQ3 baby! For the record EQ is as hardcore as I would want my game. Whatever the fuck that means.. lol

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
Casuals actually spend a very long time leveling to get to the cap. So they work towards that quite often. It may take you a few days, but casuals do spend weeks doing the same thing. Not only that, but grinding easy content to get shit you get during a raid or whatever.

It's just perspective.

And who the fuck wants to spend 10 minutes reading quest text? That's not fucking fun at all. Fuck you very much. Gamers want to play games, not sit around and derp around some shitty quest dialogue.

Dumar_sl

shitlord
And who the fuck wants to spend 10 minutes reading quest text? That's not fucking fun at all. Fuck you very much. Gamers want to play games, not sit around and derp around some shitty quest dialogue.
I'd rather read a novel than play WoW, if that adds to your perspective.

nuday

Golden Squire
Considering I actually want to know the storyline, I the fuck want to spend some time reading quest text in games. I mean, there are exceptions: a multiplayer game, for example. I don't expect everybody in the group to stand around while I read through whatever I decide to read, but I'll go back and play it single player if I can to get whatever I missed.

As far as an MMO goes, I don't even bother trying to read stuff whenever it pops up in a dungeon or raid or whatever.

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
The quest text kills me. Seriously, I actually enjoyed the EQ style b/c it forced you to pay attention when you did find a quest. Plus they were no where near as abundant. Ugh.. FF lost me with questing. I know I don't have to but I feel like I need to when I see all those stupid quest icons... Fuck cut scenes and fuck quest text!

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
WOW is not fun or entertaining at all these days, which is why I haven't played longer than a weekend since WOTLK. I'm just speaking in generalities. I would like a game that is not quest driven please. Just like WOW took over exp grinding with quest grinding; give me a game that takes over quest grinding with some other engaging activity.

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
Considering I actually want to know the storyline, I the fuck want to spend some time reading quest text in games. I mean, there are exceptions: a multiplayer game, for example. I don't expect everybody in the group to stand around while I read through whatever I decide to read, but I'll go back and play it single player if I can to get whatever I missed.

As far as an MMO goes, I don't even bother trying to read stuff whenever it pops up in a dungeon or raid or whatever.
I'm not sure I understand. Are you talking about single player games or MMOs when you want to read hours of quest text?