Is the MMO Market imploding?

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
WOW is not fun or entertaining at all these days, which is why I haven't played longer than a weekend since WOTLK. I'm just speaking in generalities. I would like a game that is not quest driven please. Just like WOW took over exp grinding with quest grinding; give me a game that takes over quest grinding with some other engaging activity.
EQN has the potential to do that with some of their rally calls...Building Halas comes to mind. I mean, technically it's a quest but it would keep you actively engaged in one thing while you probably fall into a bunch of other shit. Games just need to point you in a general direction not lead you around like a dog.

nuday

Golden Squire
Okay, I don't want to read hours of quest text, but I at least like it to be there? I don't know.

In MMO's I want it there when I'm doing solo stuff. I think it is silly to expect people to stand around and wait on people to read the quest text when they are grouped, though. I think that is an advantage of having voice work, though: you can toss out some quick storyline or whatever as the group moves through the content.

Elerion

N00b
DayZ proved people still want hard, unforgiving, non-handholding, downtime ridden multiplayer games. All that stuff makes the good stuff better. Someone with a big studio should take a lesson from that.

tad10

Elisha Dushku
WOW is not fun or entertaining at all these days, which is why I haven't played longer than a weekend since WOTLK. I'm just speaking in generalities. I would like a game that is not quest driven please. Just like WOW took over exp grinding with quest grinding; give me a game that takes over quest grinding with some other engaging activity.
EQNext blah blah Storybricks blah.

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Okay, I don't want to read hours of quest text, but I at least like it to be there? I don't know.

In MMO's I want it there when I'm doing solo stuff. I think it is silly to expect people to stand around and wait on people to read the quest text when they are grouped, though. I think that is an advantage of having voice work, though: you can toss out some quick storyline or whatever as the group moves through the content.
Don't confuse meaningful quest text for fluff. If I'm going to read the shit it needs to have a real purpose in the game. Most quest text is just filler with no real lore backing. But how would I know, I don't read it!? lol

Dahkoht_sl

shitlord
On the budget subject , I hope/wish devs of mmo's would realize where not to drop their wad on. SWTOR being the extreme example. I personally don't give a shit if there's zero voice'd anything in an mmo , nor special cutscenes etc.

I'd much much rather see that money/time spent on "in world" content and never once pull me out of the world to tell me a story with voice acting.

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
On the budget subject , I hope/wish devs of mmo's would realize where not to drop their wad on. SWTOR being the extreme example. I personally don't give a shit if there's zero voice'd anything in an mmo , nor special cutscenes etc.

I'd much much rather see that money/time spent on "in world" content and never once pull me out of the world to tell me a story with voice acting.
I think that message has gone out.. It sucks people are losing jobs and projects are failing but we might just come out of this with some seriously awesome, niche games. It really does make sense to build with a small budget and expand as the game takes off. It's less of a gamble that way.

Itzena_sl

shitlord
Like...?

Carl_sl

shitlord
I think that message has gone out.. It sucks people are losing jobs and projects are failing but we might just come out of this with some seriously awesome, niche games. It really does make sense to build with a small budget and expand as the game takes off. It's less of a gamble that way.
Hex and star citizen both have me excited. More crowd funded stuff like that will surely start popping up. Let the boring devs we have go out of work.

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
EQN has the potential to do that with some of their rally calls...Building Halas comes to mind. I mean, technically it's a quest but it would keep you actively engaged in one thing while you probably fall into a bunch of other shit. Games just need to point you in a general direction not lead you around like a dog.
Yes I know, and I believed GW2 when they said something similar. I'll believe it when I see it. I'll remain skeptical until then.

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
No one has evolved to this yet. Which is why I'm not playing FFXIV or any other MMOs right now. They all are boring to me. I'm enjoying League of Legends right now.

I'll probably give Wildstar a spin if the two "unrevealed" classes are fun. I'll get like a week or two out of it most likely.

Mahulk_sl

shitlord
$15 a month is really nothing these days, in my opinion. I'd gladly pay $30+ a month for a really well done niche MMO.
Niche is the way to go, or so it seems these days, but most fail to see the possibility of having a game with different cores. What the genre needs is a game that has a versatile engine to offer a wide range of different rulesets instead of the boring three we always get. Give those who just want to see the content a solo server, those who want huge epic raids a server where encounters are tuned for 50+ ppl and everything in between. Also, the first game to give administrative tools to the players so they can manage their own server will get WoW'ish numbers IMO.

niss_sl

shitlord
The problem with quest text in wow is that you'd come to a quest hub, see 4-8 exclamation marks and then each of those would have several quests and then you go FML I want to choke on bleach. Fuck reading that shit, I won't even remember a fraction of it. They did a lot better job in vanilla with less quests.

tad10

Elisha Dushku
The problem with quest text in wow is that you'd come to a quest hub, see 4-8 exclamation marks and then each of those would have several quests and then you go FML I want to choke on bleach. Fuck reading that shit, I won't even remember a fraction of it. They did a lot better job in vanilla with less quests.
If Vanilla WoW (prior to patch 1.6) had just made a few of the instanced dungeons non-instanced (LBRS, and a couple of others) and been a little bit less of a loot pinata so that some of the lower level gear was worth running dungeons for it would have been a near perfect MMO experience.

It had a quest grind but it wasn't as bad as it got later - I think they doubled the number of quests by patch 1.12 or if not doubled definately added several hundred. IIRC, only STV was really bad questwise early on. But maybe I'm misremembering - been a long time.

misery_sl

shitlord
I'm in the crowd that thinks this kind of thing is exactly what the gaming industry needs. A harsh bit of reality, and a nice wake up call. I'm just hoping for anything that will bring about another awesome game that will keep me interested and excited to log in once again before dinosaurs take the world back over.

etchazz

Trakanon Raider
no offense, but these rallying calls sound boring as fuck. why the hell do i want to spend my hours playing a MMO laying down brick and mortar? real life can be boring enough, i don't need to spend 4 or 5 hours straight in a MMO looking at blueprints and putting up drywall. i don't see these rallying calls being any different than the boring ass quests in WoW. you're still being forced to quest, it's just that instead of questing by yourself, they're now making everyone do it together.

Silence_sl

shitlord
no offense, but these rallying calls sound boring as fuck. why the hell do i want to spend my hours playing a MMO laying down brick and mortar? real life can be boring enough, i don't need to spend 4 or 5 hours straight in a MMO looking at blueprints and putting up drywall. i don't see these rallying calls being any different than the boring ass quests in WoW. you're still being forced to quest, it's just that instead of questing by yourself, they're now making everyone do it together.
It sounds to me like those dumb triggered quest events like in GW2. It's still gathering rat asses and gnome testicles.

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
Aren't you one of those people who are looking for EQ original where you just sit in a spot camping one mob? That's not boring?