Is Uncharted the best series of the last decade?

supertouch_sl

shitlord
I had never played a PS 3 before so decided to borrow one from my sister along with all 3 Uncharted games. I didn't think I'd enjoy them that much, but these damn things are so engrossing. It took me a while to warm up to the first one, but I think I played the second installment all the way through without setting down the controller. The third one has the best setting in my opinion and is a welcome departure from the jungle.

Do you think it's the best series of the last ten years?

Column_sl

shitlord
Like what qualifies as the best series tho?

2004 is a long way to go back..

Even in there own company I feel that The Last of Us was superior to Uncharted.

Droigan

Trakanon Raider
As a "series" I can't really think of any new IP in the last decade that has better quality than it. Each game is good, and each game set the standard of graphics. Uncharted 1 was heads and shoulders above anything on the 360 at the time that was released in terms of graphics.

Individually they are not the best games on the PS3 (but not far from it I think), but as a series I can't think of anything that beats them on consoles. I might be a bit biased though as I love the older adventure movies of the late 80s, early 90s, and each Uncharted game plays like one of those.

Would suggest giving Last of Us a go too if you have a PS3 ready now and haven't played it yet. EDIT: If you play it on hard + the story DLC that is out now, it should last you roughly the combined time of all the Uncharted games (which clock in at around 8 hours each). Last of Us took me around 22 hours to complete on hard. And the story in it is a fairly large step above Uncharted, as that is light joking entertainment, while Last of Us has a much more mature setting.

ShakyJake

<Donor>
I loved Uncharted 2. Never played the first. I bought 3 with high anticipation, but for some reason couldn't get into it.

You should definitely play The Last Of Us. But, for me, I enjoyed Uncharted 2 more.

supertouch_sl

shitlord
As a "series" I can't really think of any new IP in the last decade that has better quality than it. Each game is good, and each game set the standard of graphics. Uncharted 1 was heads and shoulders above anything on the 360 at the time that was released in terms of graphics.

Individually they are not the best games on the PS3 (but not far from it I think), but as a series I can't think of anything that beats them on consoles. I might be a bit biased though as I love the older adventure movies of the late 80s, early 90s, and each Uncharted game plays like one of those.

Would suggest giving Last of Us a go too if you have a PS3 ready now and haven't played it yet.
I know standards and one's frame of reference changes over time, but I was kind of surprised by how bad the first Uncharted looked. A lot of the textures were blurry and there was a lot more aliasing than I remember seeing in any 360 game. Uncharted 2 and 3 were huge steps up in the graphics department.

Caliane

Like what qualifies as the best series tho?

2004 is a long way to go back..

Even in there own company I feel that The Last of Us was superior to Uncharted.
yeah. with the way iterations are nowadays.
For a 10 year cycle you have what 2 maybe 3 games?
And if you have MORE then 2 games in a series in a 10 year period, you probably have some bullshit like Call of Duty iteration.

Uncharted is 3 main games. 2007 for the first.

I don't know. What are the contenders? Does it have to be NEW to the last decade?

Portal1/2?
Saints row. Borderlands. The Elder scrolls. Call of Duty. Battlefield. Mario. Bioshock. Mass Effect. GTA.

Column_sl

shitlord
Uncharted 2 is when they really brought everything together, and paved the way for what we got with the Last of Us.

As far as best series, Yeah I don't know..

Are we talking gameplay? because there is a ton of grounbreaking shit from 2004-2014. Bungees Halo series alone will go down as one of the best trilogy's ever,
If it's story there are a shitload of RPGs, and action series on both the PC ,and consoles.

Droigan

Trakanon Raider
No, Mass Effect is.

(if you cut out the last 5 minutes)

(never played uncharted)
Forgot about Mass Effect. Think I have blocked it out due to number 3. Yeah, I'd say that overall, Mass Effect is a better series. I had no idea what I was getting into with the first one, but 60 hours later, I was blown away. Same with 2. Never finished 3, was scared to see the ending.

EDIT:
Column_sl said:
Bungees Halo series alone will go down as one of the best trilogy's ever,
Not in my opinion. I don't play FPS (especially console) online, and while I understand that Halo set a new standard, and perhaps even created a whole focus on the online genre, and it should get credit for that, the game itself. No. Halo 1, cool new story. Halo 2, lots of ... the same. Halo 3... That was just... Sound was de-synced several places, nearly impossible to listen to the story as you had to progress to checkpoints with dialogue that was then impossible to listen to. Several areas that appeared copy pasted from previous games and graphics that were hardly a step up at all. Halo is in my opinion one of the most overrated series I can think of. But that is probably due to me playing it wrong, as a single player game and not touching the multiplayer. I just wanted the story, and when I saw that they completely gave up on that focus, I gave up on the series. Not played anything since 3, not even sure if there are more. It is completely off my radar now of series I have interest in.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Contenders in the last decade? Assassin's Creed, but as you pointed out there are way more than 2 - 3 games and quite a few misses. But it would be a contender.

supertouch_sl

shitlord
Mass Effect 2 is damn near perfect, but 1 and 3 have some serious flaws that I think keep the series from being in the discussion.

Column_sl

shitlord
Another good one is The Arkham series which so far is only two games because the prequel is handled by another studio, but all the sequels are handled by Rocksteady.

I also loved both of the Darksider games, but there is so much I'm probly not remembering all the way back to 2004...

How about WOW? it also came out in 2004, and technically had 4 sequels.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Yeah I was going to mention Darksiders too because I really love both games, but then I got depressed thinking about all the drama and how we won't see the rest.

Column_sl

shitlord
Not in my opinion. I don't play FPS (especially console) online, and while I understand that Halo set a new standard, and perhaps even created a whole focus on the online genre, and it should get credit for that, the game itself. No. Halo 1, cool new story. Halo 2, lots of ... the same. Halo 3... That was just... Sound was de-synced several places, nearly impossible to listen to the story as you had to progress to checkpoints with dialogue that was then impossible to listen to. Several areas that appeared copy pasted from previous games and graphics that were hardly a step up at all. Halo is in my opinion one of the most overrated series I can think of. But that is probably due to me playing it wrong, as a single player game and not touching the multiplayer. I just wanted the story, and when I saw that they completely gave up on that focus, I gave up on the series. Not played anything since 3, not even sure if there are more. It is completely off my radar now of series I have interest in.
Bungees, Halo series is considered one of the top competitive FP's of all time.

Halo 2 was leaps over halo 1 which had no online, and Halo 3 was leaps over Halo 2 in graphics while still making the multiplayer different enough that it could be played on pro level.

I'm not sure where you are getting overrated from..

Kuriin

Just a Nurse
To be honest, I am really enjoying Wolf Among Us. Yeah, it's fucking episodic (god dammit), but, the writing and art is just spectacular. I also loved "Last of Us" as well as Tomb Raider (reboot).

supertouch_sl

shitlord
Bungees, Halo series is considered one of the top competitive FP's of all time.

Halo 2 was leaps over halo 1 which had no online, and Halo 3 was leaps over Halo 2 in graphics while still making the multiplayer different enough that it could be played on pro level.

I'm not sure where you are getting overrated from..
Halo gameplay has always been great, but the story felt like more of the same after Halo 2.

Column_sl

shitlord
Halo gameplay has always been great, but the story felt like more of the same after Halo 2.
Yeah, but that is where you have to be specific when you say makes the best series. What is the criteria?

If it's best story, there allot of games from that time period that were better then uncharted.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Better Series from the last decade:
Mass Effect(already mentioned)
Bioshock (1,2,Infinite)
Portal (1,2)
Elder Scrolls(Morrowind,Oblivion,Skyrim) edit-I guess Morrowind misses the 10-year window, it was 02. The other 2 still count though, and are great
Grand Theft Auto(III and Vice City slightly miss the window, but you can count San Andreas, IV, V)