Is Uncharted the best series of the last decade?

Column_sl

shitlord
Dark souls is another good one just for game play, Since the original team isn't doing it anymore we have to base it on those two games,

Caliane

not even getting into stuff like Professor Layton, or Ace Attorney.
A good number of handheld series probably are solid contenders as well.

Szlia

Adding some contenders here:

Yakuza

Gears of Wars

Mario Galaxy

God of War

Prince of Persia (Ubi's 1st reboot started in 2003)

Forza Motorsport

I still think Uncharted wins even if I have a particular affection for the Yakuza games.

Droigan

Trakanon Raider
Yeah, but that is where you have to be specific when you say makes the best series. What is the criteria?

If it's best story, there allot of games from that time period that were better then uncharted.
I did specify that in my post. I judged it as a single player game (played first two co-op with a friend), and when doing that, it is in no way shape or form the best series of this or any other decade.

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
I havent enjoyed another series as much as i did MassEffect - sure the ending was meh but as far as everything else goes it was nothing short of phenomenal. I'm not going to let the ending take away from the ride itself.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Me and my brother bought a launch PS3 and I moved out so I had no access to it. I borrowed it when he got Uncharted 2 and my wife saw me playing it. She kept watching like the entire time I played, which she never did, so I asked her if she wanted to play. At first she said no, but then gave in. Prior to this she didn't really play games - maybe Zelda for SNES and some N64/gamecube, but nothing current gen. Wasn't a huge gamer.

I went to work and didn't see her for a couple days, but when I came back she had beaten the game. She then went out and bought part 1 and beat it. I knew she was hooked. She bought me a PS3 that valentines day and I Always wondered if it was secretly for her.

Now she camps out waiting for the games to come out. We have a PS4 ready for part 4. She almost bought a VIta for that version. To her it is the best series of all time. I like the series a lot too, but not that much.

We also have a framed uncharted 3 poster in our house. She likes it that much.

Also when I saw this thread title I instantly thought "I bet supertouch made this thread", glad I wasn't disappointed.

spronk

FPS noob
it'd be a toss up between Assassins Creed (2 & 4 are just... beyond amazing) or Mass Effect, head and shoulders above the competition. I wish I could vote for Uncharted but I have only played the vita version and its pretty meh, hopefully with Playstation Now I'll be able to see more of Uncharted and TLOU on a PS4.

Regime

LOADING, PLEASE WAIT...
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Better Series from the last decade:
Mass Effect(already mentioned)
Bioshock (1,2,Infinite)
Portal (1,2)
Elder Scrolls(Morrowind,Oblivion,Skyrim) edit-I guess Morrowind misses the 10-year window, it was 02. The other 2 still count though, and are great
Grand Theft Auto(III and Vice City slightly miss the window, but you can count San Andreas, IV, V)
I'd go with Elder Scrolls first and Mass Effect second.

ShakyJake

<Donor>
Assassin's Creed is one series I have not played at all. Are the game's stories link or can I just jump into any of them?

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
If the criteria for 'best series' is something like minimum of 3 games and no really glaring flaws in any of them then I'd have to say yes to Uncharted being the best of the last decade, but only by a very slim margin over Final Fantasy (XII, XIII-series).

Everything else I can think of doesn't have enough games yet (Witcher, Portal) or had one or more games that sucked even if the rest were excellent (AC, Mass Effect, Saints Row, etc.).

spronk

FPS noob
Assassin's Creed is one series I have not played at all. Are the game's stories link or can I just jump into any of them?
play ac2, ac4, then go back and play ac1, revelations, brotherhood, liberation, and if you really want ac3. AC4 and AC2 are the best, AC3 is the worst, brotherhood and revelations adds more to AC2 (same character). You can jump into any of the games though and be fine, pretty simple background story (templars vs assassins).

wait for a sale, i recently picked up AC1-AC3 (every game) for around $30 on ubisoft christmas sale

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
I need the set to go back on sale on Steam or Ubi, can't link the pirated copies to my AC Initiates profile, hah

Daezuel

Potato del Grande
Finally a topic I can get behind. I completely agree. Uncharted 2 is maybe one of the best games I've ever played. I remember beating it and just putting the controller down in awe. Then I went into the shared FOH channel on BDF in WoW while we were doing that Bait n Switch shit and said as much and most people were all hurr cover shooter. (without having actually played any of them)

It's no shock that people like the Tomb Raider reboot that plays almost exactly like an Uncharted game. AC is a great series but suffers from being too unfocused, having too many really lame mini games, too many bugs, and just too many installments.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
I think there is a Halflife 3 joke in this thread somewhere.
We have exactly 9 months from today until Half-Life 2 no longer was released within the last decade (Nov 16 2004 release)

On the plus side, we should be due for a genre-defining FPS this year

1994 = Doom 2
2004 = Half Life 2
2014 = ?

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
play ac2, ac4, then go back and play ac1, revelations, brotherhood, liberation, and if you really want ac3. AC4 and AC2 are the best, AC3 is the worst, brotherhood and revelations adds more to AC2 (same character). You can jump into any of the games though and be fine, pretty simple background story (templars vs assassins).

wait for a sale, i recently picked up AC1-AC3 (every game) for around $30 on ubisoft christmas sale
I would agree with this. Although I wouldn't play AC4 first if you have any intention of playing AC2. AC4's in game options for exploration, open world pirate activities, collectables, side missions, island hopping, mini games, treasure hunting, fort takeovers... shit you name it. If you play that and then go to AC2, you may be bored out of your mind in AC2.

I would have to say the best franchise would go to Mass Effect, even though the ending to 3 was horrible. The original story line, really good gameplay tweaks, etc. I pick that over the following for specific reasons:

Uncharted 1 and 3 were mediocre compared to 2, and while they are great games, I am more partial to Sci Fi.
Bioshock 1 and Infinite were fantastic. If two had been shit canned and the second was infinite, Bioshock would win. Bioshock 2 was horrible.
The last of us only has one game thus fat, otherwise I would be naming this right up there next to Mass Effect.

Some notables for originality/gameplay mechanic changes

1) Dead Space
2) Alan Wake (They should make more - with less copy paste outdoor areas)
3) Batman Arkham games
4) Far Cry

Some up and comers we should watch, aside from The Last of us:

1) Dishonored
2) Destiny

Caliane

We have exactly 9 months from today until Half-Life 2 no longer was released within the last decade (Nov 16 2004 release)

On the plus side, we should be due for a genre-defining FPS this year

1994 = Doom 2
2004 = Half Life 2
2014 = ?
titanfall?
planetside 2?
possibly destiny or division.

Vaclav

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Almost definitely Destiny. Borderlands was close to doing it - getting the Halo people behind it and creating a semi-online aspect really should push it over. (or The Division should Destiny falter since it's got the same)

Frankly, Destiny/Division sound similar to what I remember the original concepts for Rage being pitched were aiming at, so clearly the kind of future Carmack saw back then, before he had to scale it back.