Is Uncharted the best series of the last decade?

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Well, Deus Ex was released in 2000 so I think Zaphid was referring to HR.

Reasons for HR hate:

Boss fights being completely out of place, and because they were farmed out to some random company they weren't even good to begin with.

DLC had far better design than the main game.

Director's Cut version gives you boss fights beatable with subterfuge instead of brute force (but you do still have to kill them, the game throws you into a cutscene when you're stealthed, etc.), removes the piss-yellow filter, and the DLC is part of the game instead of being a standalone that you have to play separately, but they made it from an unpatched codebase. A whole slew of bugs that were fixed in patches of the original game magically got un-fixed in the DC, which can make the game unplayable. They patched it once, but it's still a mess, and the second patch was promised so long ago that it seems likely that they've just washed their hands of the whole thing.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
I really liked the plot and characters in DX:HR so I overlooked a lot of the gameplay problems. The first game had a fuckton of gameplay problems too, all overlooked by just being so ambitious for its day.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Other than AC3. That game was a blight on the AC franchise. The only game of the whole series that not only did I not finish it, I completely stopped playing it after maybe 6-8 hours. It just wasn't fun at all.

supertouch_sl

shitlord
I loved Assassin's Creed 3 and have no clue why so many hated it. The protagonist and setting were a breath of fresh air and it also introduced naval warfare.

Anyway, all three Uncharted games provide movie quality storytelling and fun Prince of Persia-like platforming. The sequels didn't deviate from the formula so the epic nature was preserved.

Sean_sl

shitlord
I loved Assassin's Creed 3 and have no clue why so many hated it. The protagonist and setting were a breath of fresh air and it also introduced naval warfare.

Anyway, all three Uncharted games provide movie quality storytelling and fun Prince of Persia-like platforming. The sequels didn't deviate from the formula so the epic nature was preserved.
I didn'thateit, but it's definitely by far the weakest Assassin's Creed game for me. Conner was pretty boring and the entire game felt like a bunch of "Action Set Pieces" rather than an AC game and it just didn't work very well. It didn't really feel "Assassin-y" at all. AC4 didn't feel very Assassin-y either, but more than made up for it by being an amazing Pirate game.

Elerion

N00b
Assuming we put the limit at minimum 3 games, and Dark Souls 2 doesn't suck, the Souls series blows the competition out of the water.

- The series has grown huge solely on the back of its excellent and unique design, not due to a massive budget or marketing campaign. Demon's Souls was released as a PS3 exclusive without a planned NA/EU release, but caused such a massive buzz online and so many people imported the game that it was re-released in NA/EU due to popular demand, leading to a large cross-platform release of the sequel
- Singlehandedly bringing back uncompromising gameplay to the AAA scene
- Revolutionary online functionality, which still allows you to play offline without crippling the game
- Extreme replayability and near infinite difficulty scaling (through self-imposed challenges, made possible by an extremely high skill ceiling)
- The first two games are both very good, the third is getting almost universal praise in pre-release press (We all know how reliable that is, though)

Uncharted and Mass Effect are great, but both are mostly well executed evolutions of existing AAA games. Assassin's Creed was unique and innovative, but let's be honest - the first game was pretty boring past the first couple of hours, and there have been a few duds since. I'd say only AC2 and AC4 qualify as "great games".

Assuming DS2 is good, I'd rank them:
Souls > Mass Effect > Uncharted > AC

Portal would be a contender for the top spot if there were 3 games.