IT/Software career thread: Invert binary trees for dollars.

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
The best part about working here from my experience so far is the QA staff. It is completely different than my old job. The QA staff here gives a shit and is smart.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
What's QA?

Although I suppose being in a military contractor I guess our QA will probably be good. Queue the guys saying raytheon has no qa

Tenks

What's QA?

Although I suppose being in a military contractor I guess our QA will probably be good. Queue the guys saying raytheon has no qa

QA has found a bug in your English. Unless you are forming a line of people to say Raytheon has no QA.

Vinen

God is dead
That's what happens when you stare at code all day man

At Raytheon you will learn that QA and QC are two completely different roles.

QA = Process Bitches. Does Raytheon still require Six Sigma. Most useless shit I've seen in my life
QC = Testers.

moontayle

Golden Squire
Managed to convince IT to give me a dedicated machine to do all the AOSP stuff on. I could continue using the VM on my machine but when it's compiling, which can take a LOOOONG time, I'm basically relegated to doing nothing. I found out quickly that it's temperamental. So I redownloaded the source code and am currently compiling a build. I'm pretty sure the build won't work but as long as it completes I'll at least know that it's possible to get a basic build and will just need to tweak it for our devices.

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
Lol Six Sigma. Six Sigma is to project management what ITIL was to IT. Cookie cutter bullshit to ensure that even the smallest of projects gets rammed through a gauntlet of unneeded analysis and made up words.

Had some PM tell me he was a "Six Sigma Black Belt" one day lol..

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
You want to know how stupid Six Sigma is?

I worked at a grocery store and they offered six sigma black belt training. How worthless is that shit.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

a_skeleton_06

<Banned>
My brother is going through Six Sigma training at work (factory) and he's super pumped about it. You'd think he was getting a master's from UMichigan Business School or something.

ToeMissile

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
...Irvine...

85 isn't too abnormal, but the first week or so you were here was pretty f'n hot for the area. Irvine is probably a little more convenient as you're right in the middle of everything, but 10 minutes in any direction from pretty much anywhere will get you to something at least decent.

"(All) the highway(s) into Irvine are bumper to bumper." Fixed. And you'll mostly get used to the people, as well as what times to avoid.

Ikea is a zoo every minute it's open. Gotta psych myself up to make it through there.

Pretty much can't go wrong with anywhere along the coast, especially nice in the Laguna area though.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Quit EMC like 10 months ago, finally today the merger happened and the company is called "Dell Technologies"

Someone else said it best, strapping two sinking ships together just delays the inevitable. It's now a 140,000 employee company.. curious to see what happens to people from EMC.

Vinen

God is dead
Quit EMC like 10 months ago, finally today the merger happened and the company is called "Dell Technologies"

Someone else said it best, strapping two sinking ships together just delays the inevitable. It's now a 140,000 employee company.. curious to see what happens to people from EMC.

I'd expect large redundancy cuts in the next few months on both sides.

TrollfaceDeux

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Bronze Donator>
My wife (and mom) won't let me buy a motorcycle :( Something about a "dangerous personality." Its bullshit.
she might settle with a spyder. I sold a used spyder to a guy who used to ride a motorcycle. Something about "conceding" to his wife's concerns...

Tenks

T Tenks how much was the tax hit?

PS do they need .net people =)

I'll know more once I get a paycheck with all my 401k and insurance deductions. So far it doesn't look too terrible but I came in knowing that the base pay increase I was getting was pretty much just going to offset CA taxes. Hopefully with bonuses I'll be clearing enough to justify the move out due to cost of living. With the bonuses included I was looking at ~30% increase which is about as good as you can hope for for cost-of-living increase. The job I took was more a lateral (technically a step down since I got promoted a few months before I left) so it wasn't exclusively about climbing the corporate chain.

I know when I applied for my job there were more .NET on the battle.net platform. There are quite a few C++ jobs available on the battle.net platform also. Here is a C# one. I'm not 100% sure what this one would be doing. There are a few C++ positions available on B.NET. Those would probably be on the B.NET desktop app or on game services. The previous is pretty self explanatory the latter does much with things like match making for games and things of that nature.

Blizzard Entertainment:Career Opportunities

If you're actually interested we can discuss further. I want to recruit someone for some of the sweet, sweet exclusive swag. I need to be a Blizzard Headhunter and get the sweet tshirt and hat that comes along with it. But honestly just look at the Blizzard careers page. That is the page that gets sent out to us for new listings. There are very few internal-only listings and most of those are high up positions which I assume they already know who they're putting there.

radditsu

Silver Knight of the Realm

Did anyone actually use EMC storage? They were hitting me hard on cold calls for like a year or so.

alavaz

Trakanon Raider
Did anyone actually use EMC storage? They were hitting me hard on cold calls for like a year or so.

I've wound up with it at pretty much all of my government jobs. Clariion's / VNX's are abundant with some VMAX thrown in if they're still rocking mainframes. Their dedupe appliance is really nice for backups as well.