IT/Software career thread: Invert binary trees for dollars.

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
Did anyone actually use EMC storage? They were hitting me hard on cold calls for like a year or so.

Yeah, they're the biggest storage vendor out there. I couldn't stand EMC simply because of their ridiculous pricing and licensing scheme. Not to mention it's one of those companies that's so fucking large getting anything accomplished takes ages. For instance, they had to ship us a replacement power adapter and cable. They just shipped the adapter, so we call back to get the cable. Spend one week as they try and figure out how to just ship the cable, as it's one sku for the adapter/cable. Week 2 they decide to just ship us another adapter/cable, but it never arrived because of an error on the shipping label. We spend the next month screaming at support, because no matter what they do the shipping label comes out with a typo, yet they are at a loss as to how to contact someone to manually print one out. Eventually, after 15 hours on the phone with these idiots we just bought the cable off Ebay.. Fuck EMC.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Lendarios

Trump's Staff
<Gold Donor>
Trump's position on the H1B visa is the only saving grace he has in my eyes. We need to enforce the existing laws regarding this type of abuse. Also make Illegal the accessing of PHI data for offshore.

• 2Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Yeah, they're the biggest storage vendor out there. I couldn't stand EMC simply because of their ridiculous pricing and licensing scheme. Not to mention it's one of those companies that's so fucking large getting anything accomplished takes ages. For instance, they had to ship us a replacement power adapter and cable. They just shipped the adapter, so we call back to get the cable. Spend one week as they try and figure out how to just ship the cable, as it's one sku for the adapter/cable. Week 2 they decide to just ship us another adapter/cable, but it never arrived because of an error on the shipping label. We spend the next month screaming at support, because no matter what they do the shipping label comes out with a typo, yet they are at a loss as to how to contact someone to manually print one out. Eventually, after 15 hours on the phone with these idiots we just bought the cable off Ebay.. Fuck EMC.
This sounds exactly how Emc operates for every single product they out out. Getting replacement parts for customers often meant just replacing the server if it wasnt a FRU. As of my leaving fans were not FRU. Before I left they just switched ram to FRU... Backwards ass. You don't even want to see what the internal stuff looks like.

Now imagine the company just doubled in size....

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
This sounds exactly how Emc operates for every single product they out out. Getting replacement parts for customers often meant just replacing the server if it wasnt a FRU. As of my leaving fans were not FRU. Before I left they just switched ram to FRU... Backwards ass. You don't even want to see what the internal stuff looks like.

Now imagine the company just doubled in size....

Well, I hate DELL even more, so it's a marriage made in heaven. We're 100% HP for servers/desktops, Cisco for networking/FW, Netapp for storage, and about 90% MS for OS and server apps

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Last day at my job.. little burnt about my last check.. They deducted a full month's parking and train pass from it because I don't know why, and it's non-reversible. The card they gave me can only be used for mass transit and parking.. so I have a $600 card that's virtually useless. I suppose I could try to sell off the balance to commuters but that almost sounds too difficult and I don't really want my payment info handed out.

Lame..

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I looked it up and it happens to like everyone at places with commuter benefit cards. There are a few companies that will cut a check, but not mine.

It almost feels like the company running the benefits set this up in a way where they would make money off people quitting their jobs.

Arative

Vyemm Raider
Wouldn't surprise me if that's why they did it but I've never had a job with a commuter benefits card.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
On the way out they had me review a resume and it was one of my coworkers from the old bios team at Emc. He doesn't even have a LinkedIn so I can't tell him to stay away.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Started my new job today, working on the software for some radars.. Guess that's about all I can say about it comfortably right now.

Saw the zumwalt sitting outside in Newport on the way in, pretty impressive.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
I'm bias. But it depends.
The team they are hiring is likely not the skills which is being laid off.
Michael is likely cleaning house.

The idea that they can't find qualified software or hardware people in the US is pretty asinine though. Especially at the same time as they are laying off software and hardware people.

It's all in how you write the requirements, once you write requirements specific enough that you can't find people, then you can start hiring H1B's, is my recollection, and there are HR people who specialize in not being able to find americans to work so that they can hire H1B's.

H1B's in theory are fine but are abused regularly.

Vinen

God is dead
You have to admit they need to work on their timing though and it looks like shit.

Why? It doesn't look like shit. I'm sure DELL and EMC have that many Admin jobs that overlap.
There is a shortage of good Developers in this country. Being friends with a few H1B I can assure you that at least VMware pays extraordinarily well and that they are compensated just as if they were a US citizen.

There are a lot of lazy as fuck useless developers who don't want to put a lick of effort into their job. These are the people who are losing out to H1B.

The idea that they can't find qualified software or hardware people in the US is pretty asinine though. Especially at the same time as they are laying off software and hardware people.

It's all in how you write the requirements, once you write requirements specific enough that you can't find people, then you can start hiring H1B's, is my recollection, and there are HR people who specialize in not being able to find americans to work so that they can hire H1B's.

H1B's in theory are fine but are abused regularly.

Finding a qualified Developer takes quite a while in the Boston area even at what VMware offers (We are one of the highest paying companies). It's no shock they are reaching out for H1B.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Why? It doesn't look like shit. I'm sure DELL and EMC have that many Admin jobs that overlap.
There is a shortage of good Developers in this country. Being friends with a few H1B I can assure you that at least VMware pays extraordinarily well and that they are compensated just as if they were a US citizen.

There are a lot of lazy as fuck useless developers who don't want to put a lick of effort into their job. These are the people who are losing out to H1B.

Finding a qualified Developer takes quite a while in the Boston area even at what VMware offers (We are one of the highest paying companies). It's no shock they are reaching out for H1B.
You guys are walking distance to MIT.. How is that possible.?