IT/Software career thread: Invert binary trees for dollars.

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
Why? It doesn't look like shit. I'm sure DELL and EMC have that many Admin jobs that overlap.
There is a shortage of good Developers in this country. Being friends with a few H1B I can assure you that at least VMware pays extraordinarily well and that they are compensated just as if they were a US citizen.

There are a lot of lazy as fuck useless developers who don't want to put a lick of effort into their job. These are the people who are losing out to H1B.

Finding a qualified Developer takes quite a while in the Boston area even at what VMware offers (We are one of the highest paying companies). It's no shock they are reaching out for H1B.

Maybe your experience and my experience with foreign developers has been different. When we were forced to work with overseas "talent" they were useless, often actually costing us time as we'd have to redo everything they did eventually.

Hiring H1B's has never been a solution in my eyes.

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
The Indians at Emc are fucking worthless. The Chinese were ok

Maybe, I never worked with Chinese outsourcing or H1B's, only Indians. There was one place I worked where a Chinese VP always brought over some chinese devs and they did good work but they were totally in a silo and we never interacted with them, I think they rode back and forth to work with that VP in a van. They might have been slaves, I'm not sure.

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
From my experience the Chinese write better stuff but holy fuck they're stubborn and will cling to terrible ideas

alavaz

Trakanon Raider
The best overseas workers I've encountered are Eastern Europeans. They really take writing reusable, extensible code seriously - sometimes to a fault. Indians have always delivered a complete clusterfuck where no two objects even look similar. It's always had "I copied and pasted directly from Stack Overflow," written all over it. In my experience they tend to want to finish the job and move on, always rushing.

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
I was poking around my computer at work today and realized I have 32gb of ram and a gtx 970

moontayle

Golden Squire
The best overseas workers I've encountered are Eastern Europeans. They really take writing reusable, extensible code seriously - sometimes to a fault. Indians have always delivered a complete clusterfuck where no two objects even look similar. It's always had "I copied and pasted directly from Stack Overflow," written all over it. In my experience they tend to want to finish the job and move on, always rushing.
All the apps I work on was originally written by an Indian. One of our apps is a clone of a repo I found on Github which was then built into a library, then had said library added as a dependency and was subsequently reskinned to make it look like one of our apps.

It's like a feedback loop of shit code. I find stupid inane bullshit code everywhere I look, which is why anytime I touch the old stuff I usually end up just writing something from scratch.

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
It's been so long since I had to deal with it but I remember when working with Symphony that they wanted to use a design pattern for EVERYTHING. No, you don't need a consumer/producer "paradigm" for this. No, we don't need some kind of facade just so that we can store a few temp variables.

Drove me fucking crazy how everything was way overdone and hard to understand why they did it the way they did it, and I'd shitcan it rewrite it to take 1/10th the space.

moontayle

Golden Squire
Drove me fucking crazy how everything was way overdone and hard to understand why they did it the way they did it, and I'd shitcan it rewrite it to take 1/10th the space.

Pretty much this. A comparison I did on my most recent app rewrite on one of the most commonly used functions saw her code at ~210 lines and mine at ~45. It's like that everywhere. Clearly not a believer in concise and readable code.

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
Indians have poor work ethic fueled by the fact that they take zero pride in their work. They are the assembly line workers of the coding world, and seemingly have zero ability to apply their intelligence/knowledge in any way that resembles creative thought or thinking outside the box. Give them *exactly* what you need built, without a single assumption being made, and you may end up with what you wanted albeit inefficiently coded. Make a single assumption based out of common sense, and you'll likely end up with a steaming pile of shit. I'm told the way Indians are taught in university is entirely formulaic and memorization based-- they aren't given complex problems that have more than one solution. Give them a specific math problem to solve and they're fine. Give them a project or "math story problem" where they need to think of multiple approaches and they melt.

Back in the early 2000's when Indian offshoring was all the rage we (or I should say the CFO) tried twice to farm out development projects to India, and bother were unmitigated disasters. Besides their general (in)competence, English skills, and opposite work hours, their turnover was horrible. Try getting a competent piece of software out of a group that's turned its entire development staff over twice in the course of a year.

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
I work with quite a few Indian engineers (sys admins), and while quite a few are terrible (most), there are some that are awesome. I've sent emails to a massive amount of VPs asking for a promotion for one of the guys who is awesome. He finally got a promotion 3 months ago but god damn I hope he doesn't get poached.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I don't know where you've worked with Indians but every single one I've worked with has worn sandals and no socks

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user