IT/Software career thread: Invert binary trees for dollars.

Louis

Trakanon Raider
I can't figure out if the issue is them wearing the sandals at all or you expecting them to wear socks with sandals?

alavaz

Trakanon Raider
I don't know where you've worked with Indians but every single one I've worked with has worn sandals and no socks

The WA state Indians generally rock a button down or polo shirt, highwater kakhis and these bad boys:

O8lktRf.jpg

Last edited:

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Indians have poor work ethic fueled by the fact that they take zero pride in their work. They are the assembly line workers of the coding world, and seemingly have zero ability to apply their intelligence/knowledge in any way that resembles creative thought or thinking outside the box. Give them *exactly* what you need built, without a single assumption being made, and you may end up with what you wanted albeit inefficiently coded. Make a single assumption based out of common sense, and you'll likely end up with a steaming pile of shit. I'm told the way Indians are taught in university is entirely formulaic and memorization based-- they aren't given complex problems that have more than one solution. Give them a specific math problem to solve and they're fine. Give them a project or "math story problem" where they need to think of multiple approaches and they melt.

Back in the early 2000's when Indian offshoring was all the rage we (or I should say the CFO) tried twice to farm out development projects to India, and bother were unmitigated disasters. Besides their general (in)competence, English skills, and opposite work hours, their turnover was horrible. Try getting a competent piece of software out of a group that's turned its entire development staff over twice in the course of a year.

Someone who owned a company that did a lot of work with Indians and was in India for a while explained to me that it is almost entirely due to their caste system. Which made sense to me.

If you get someone lower in the caste system they are not allowed to question authority in any fashion, so you have to be very explicit with exactly what you want and they will never ask you to clarify.

On the other hand if you are dealing with someone who was higher up in the caste system they are unaccustomed to being questioned at all, so when you do question them or try to get them to accept responsibility they simply skirt around the issue.

Whether or not that's true I can't really say but it certainly does seem like a logical conclusion to draw. And the behavior patterns fit almost everyone I've worked with who was born and raised in India.

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
Someone who owned a company that did a lot of work with Indians and was in India for a while explained to me that it is almost entirely due to their caste system. Which made sense to me.

If you get someone lower in the caste system they are not allowed to question authority in any fashion, so you have to be very explicit with exactly what you want and they will never ask you to clarify.

On the other hand if you are dealing with someone who was higher up in the caste system they are unaccustomed to being questioned at all, so when you do question them or try to get them to accept responsibility they simply skirt around the issue.

Whether or not that's true I can't really say but it certainly does seem like a logical conclusion to draw. And the behavior patterns fit almost everyone I've worked with who was born and raised in India.

Makes sense. What struck me most was their lethargic and procedural attitude towards everything. There was literally nothing you could do/say to effectively light a fire under their asses when the shit they delivered was broken or late. You basically just got a "shrug, we'll look at it".

Best "offshore" experience I ever had was with Aussies. Sharp crew, great code, and great attitude. Too bad they weren't that less expensive than onshore workers.

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
There was a whole write up by an accomplished Indian programmer on reddit a while back about why outsourced code is so poor and why most Indian developers are poor. Basically it boiled down to being a SW developer is just the best job you can have in India but very few have passion for it. So it is literally like someone here in the states who just has a crap job they don't give a fuck about going in and doing the motions simply to get the paycheck. I'm sure we've all met developers at our jobs (typically retirement'ish age people) who have mentally checked out and write shit as well. Where most developers here and in other developed countries tend to get into SW development out of a love for it thus produce higher quality stuff.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I definitely got into coding because I had a passion for it. I went into computer engineering because I had a passion for hardware too.

I haven't met anyone that writes shit yet except some interns though.

And Indians.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Been here for a few days now, couple thoughts.

The training I'm in is constantly telling me they're logging keystrokes.. Whether they are or not I don't know, but I don't even want to risk it. I assume it's one of those things where if you get caught they look into it. But either way basically scared me from trying to go to any websites besides work even though they said minimal internet usage is fine. They've repeated how much they monitor us so many times that I don't even want to try.

It feels like the Emc of defense contracting in terms of size, management levels, and red tape. Everything is slow.. I asked for access to the network share a couple days ago and still waiting.

Everything you do has a form associated with it. Feels very old fashioned.

Im enjoying it and the toys im working on are impressive and cool to say the least.

I have profit sharing but it's never been explained so I have no idea how that even works.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

radditsu

Silver Knight of the Realm

The training I'm in is constantly telling me they're logging keystrokes.. Whether they are or not I don't know, but I don't even want to risk it. I assume it's one of those things where if you get caught they look into it. But either way basically scared me from trying to go to any websites besides work even though they said minimal internet usage is fine. They've repeated how much they monitor us so many times that I don't even want to try.

It feels like the Emc of defense contracting in terms of size, management levels, and red tape. Everything is slow.. I asked for access to the network share a couple days ago and still waiting.

Im enjoying it and the toys im working on are impressive and cool to say the least.

I have profit sharing but it's never been explained so I have no idea how that even works.

I dare you to browse the screenshots forum at work. Do it for us bro

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Dr Neir

Trakanon Raider
I'm shocked you got a network account so quickly! Unless you have .civ in your email I wouldnt stray but for answers on bing to the problems to deal with in your environment.
Welcome to the world of never truely being allowed to take a 59, event socials and closings without taking PTO. Each place is different but generally the same.

alavaz

Trakanon Raider
The last DoD job I had we had like 4 different networks. The regular LAN you could do pretty much whatever as it was normal corporate stuff with your average proxy that blocked a few things. The DoD networks though you didn't fuck around on. I didn't test, but I don't think you could even get to the net at large. Ive always RDPd to my home computer for surfing anyway. Not sure if that is key loggable, but I never got busted.

Big_w_powah

Trakanon Raider
They could tell you were rdpd...they wouldnt be able to tell what a pc did outaide their network tho. If yoh copied files back and forth youd be visible on that tho

Cad

<Bronze Donator>

Ummm-yeah-Hows.jpg

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
I just got the security clearance forms..

Mother of God

In about 6 months when they give you your actual first bit of work and it takes you 5 minutes in between status meetings, time accounting, training and security procedures, let us know how interesting it was

Also I hope you know now why anything with the government costs 50 times what it should.