IT/Software career thread: Invert binary trees for dollars.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Reminds me of my brother. He's in operations management so it's a little different I guess, but he keeps complaining about low pay, long shitty commute, and how he has to keep firing shitty employees. Told him just find a new job. He's been there a few years now and had moved up quite a bit but feels some sense of debt to the business or something.

Now when he complains I just yes him to death.

When I didn't like my jobs I applied elsewhere and took the first good offer that came by.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
You do live near a tech hub, which makes finding another job easier. Based on your postings, I'm assuming your brother lives nearby as well, but no idea if he's in the same industry.

I think if I wanted to stay in the same area(Ithaca NY), I'd have to start working remote.

Big_w_powah

Trakanon Raider
Big W is the new Mist

Umm, fuck that.

Believe he works more on the hardware/IT side rather than software development if that's what you meant.

Yes, I work IT. When I say develop--I'm talking processes/proceedures, not software.

Reminds me of my brother. He's in operations management so it's a little different I guess, but he keeps complaining about low pay, long shitty commute, and how he has to keep firing shitty employees. Told him just find a new job. He's been there a few years now and had moved up quite a bit but feels some sense of debt to the business or something.

Now when he complains I just yes him to death.

When I didn't like my jobs I applied elsewhere and took the first good offer that came by.

I'm honestly happy with my day to day--Just felt a little pissed that I'm getting helpers pulled from my project over these fucking OT laws. turned into more of a bitch than I wanted it to. I went from 40k mid last year to looking on track to hit more than double that this year. They're compensating me.

85k total compensation doesn't seem like a crazy high amount or anything for a competent developer.

Fucking serious? I should've gotten into software dev. Even my 55k base feels like a fucking goldmine for doing IT projects all day.

Wanna offer me more? :lumie:

Deathwing Deathwing I work in the Dallas area. Its a fucking giant tech hub in the middle of the USA's ballsack.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
True but only one of my jobs was in the hub

My brother isn't in tech, he works at wb Mason and there's a million jobs like that

Cad

I'm With HER ♀
<Bronze Donator>
Fucking serious? I should've gotten into software dev. Even my 55k base feels like a fucking goldmine for doing IT projects all day.

Wanna offer me more? :lumie:

Well, I made more than 55k starting the year I graduated college with a CS degree in the late 90's, and made more than 125k contracting less than 3 years later. So yea, I think you can do better.

But it depends what you're doing... how indispensable are your skills? Are you a fairly generic tech worker or do you know stuff others don't?

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
My company is acting as if it did. Corporate is in Canada though, so I wouldn't be surprised of a disconnect.

They did take the break. They just didn't click the button before taking the break.

They did pay the bonus. But I get one every quarter. Estimated work for Q1 '17 is going to lead to a similar bonus; I do have 10 years roughly IT experience, but I make 55k base+nearly 30k in bonuses if the trend continues now; I'm not finding that elsewhere I don't think.

Super Hero Mode=Moar Projekt Profitz=Bigger Bonus; I'm just bitching they took my workers and put me on this shit solo.
85k for 10yrs is about mid-range... start picking up some development background yo.

Siliconemelons

...So...Fuck this new salary under 47k=forced to pay OT laws.

All 3 of my fucking project workers today forgot to clock out for lunch and are affected by this. So, when it came time for the 4pm meeting to give them their tasks? Their manager forced them to bounce, instead of just adjusting the clockout for them. So, I took the opportunity to prep environments for them to work in for testing/conversions...

And now? I'm being told I'm going to have to handle the project solo because they don't have to pay me OT, but would end up having to payout OT to those 3 workers...

Good fucking bye sleep for the next 3 weeks.

If I hadn't collected a 7k Q4 bonus? I'd be turning in my 2 weeks tomorrow.

Yeall need to goto politics thread and say how Obama care and the OT laws are good for everyone and make companies give people money! because they are nice people.

or...ya know- do what they did because everyone with a brain knew that the ACA and OT laws would cause exactly the shit they did.

Saying X$ is where one should be is hard, there are so many factors based on cost of living and the area etc. I am sure I could find a job 20-30k more...but would it really be worth it?

a_skeleton_06

<Banned>
I think Big W is a sys ad like me which is honestly such a weird IT position. The expectations from you and what you are supposed to know are usually infinitely greater than the pay. I think the smartest thing to do is learn a bunch of shit and then pivot to PM, DB or Network Admin work where you can focus on one thing and make way more money.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Big_w_powah

Trakanon Raider
Well, I made more than 55k starting the year I graduated college with a CS degree in the late 90's, and made more than 125k contracting less than 3 years later. So yea, I think you can do better.

But it depends what you're doing... how indispensable are your skills? Are you a fairly generic tech worker or do you know stuff others don't?

At my company? Pretty goddamned silo'd as far as my knowledge goes for a lot of shit...In the grand scheme of things? I'd consider myself a generalist, but a highly skilled one.

Louis

Trakanon Raider
I think Big W is a sys ad like me which is honestly such a weird IT position. The expectations from you and what you are supposed to know are usually infinitely greater than the pay. I think the smartest thing to do is learn a bunch of shit and then pivot to PM, DB or Network Admin work where you can focus on one thing and make way more money.

Man do I ever need to take your advice and pivot the fuck on.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
I didn't get a "real" CS degree I got an IT degree with a focused track. I chose software development. However I was in the extreme minority -- much to my surprise. I'd say a good 60% of the graduating class chose networking. I think it is simply far easier to find someone willing to be a wire jockey than it is to find a competent developer, hence the pay discrepancy. This thread is filled with already good and accomplished developers who may have forgotten that not everyone on the planet is cut out to be a developer. So just saying "learn development" is pretty bad advice because almost everyone I know who has tried writing code has hated it.

• 2Like

Big_w_powah

Trakanon Raider
I could have sworn you lived in rural Illinois and commuted long distance to your job...

Anyway, yeah, find another job. There should be no shortage of that in Dallas.

I live 2 hours away in a more rural part of Texas. Just work in Dallas. Theres jobs, I've even had offers. I'm just not 100% ready to move on just yet.

Theres a company that is now a direct competitor since we began offering the services I do--I've taken 3-4 contracts from them so far, 2 of their biggest, and had to spend FAR too fucking long cleaning up their retarded GPOs to fix GPOs various other bullshit. Its kinda my goal to sink the fuckers now, because of this inconvenience they've caused me.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
I didn't get a "real" CS degree I got an IT degree with a focused track. I chose software development. However I was in the extreme minority -- much to my surprise. I'd say a good 60% of the graduating class chose networking. I think it is simply far easier to find someone willing to be a wire jockey than it is to find a competent developer, hence the pay discrepancy. This thread is filled with already good and accomplished developers who may have forgotten that not everyone on the planet is cut out to be a developer. So just saying "learn development" is pretty bad advice because almost everyone I know who has tried writing code has hated it.
I don't understand the general disdain for writing code. There's a lot of bullshit baggage involved, but just about any job has a bunch of required cruft that you have to do in addition to the good stuff. But actual writing code? Automating the computer in an intelligent and creative manner? IDK, I'll take that all day long, please.

Tenks

Because most people would rather die than spend an hour looking for the one keystroke difference in the input parameter that is causing your program to crash? Or worse yet code that looks perfectly fine and good is not behaving in the expected manner and chasing that for 2 hours? Or having to constantly on a nearly annual basis relearn and reinvent your tool set to make sure you're staying modern? Having to translate from a non-technical person's English into working software that you know for a 100% certainty will have to be modified because it is never right the first time?

• 3Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
I don't understand the general disdain for writing code. There's a lot of bullshit baggage involved, but just about any job has a bunch of required cruft that you have to do in addition to the good stuff. But actual writing code? Automating the computer in an intelligent and creative manner? IDK, I'll take that all day long, please.
You don't understand the disdain because you're wired to do it. You enjoy doing analytical stuff (see the wow thread about quality metrics for warrior tanking). Most people aren't like you.

It's like autism, but specifically for numbers and without any other side effects.

• 2Like

Tenks

That is because we've channeled our powers of autism for good. You can read through the general forum and see people who are channeling their powers of autism for evil.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
That is because we've channeled our powers of autism for good. You can read through the general forum and see people who are channeling their powers of autism for evil.
If they tested me and said I was autistic I'd be not surprised at all