IT/Software career thread: Invert binary trees for dollars.

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
You think that's what it would cost to code or responding to Tyen?

That was towards Tyen and his traffic numbers. Yours would be more but honestly you can whip up and out a web front-end complete with authorization, security, stored in a Postgres/MySQL just out of a Maven archetype. You can get all that with literally one command. Then you'd just have to slap on an upload button to upload the .epubs which I assume you could just store as a blob in the database. Again that is relatively straight forward. The hardest part would be the reader, front end and lawyer fees :)

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
That was towards Tyen and his traffic numbers. Yours would be more but honestly you can whip up and out a web front-end complete with authorization, security, stored in a Postgres/MySQL just out of a Maven archetype. You can get all that with literally one command. Then you'd just have to slap on an upload button to upload the .epubs which I assume you could just store as a blob in the database. Again that is relatively straight forward. The hardest part would be the reader, front end and lawyer fees :)
Yeah I am not envisioning it being that hard of a project when it comes to the actual software itself. It's just not what I do so no way I can tackle it.

I am looking around at other forks of this specific cloud reader to see what other people have done with it and try to find if there is anything close to what I am looking for and there just isn't.

This could be the next Plex quite easily I just don't know where to look for devs that are interested and wanting to code on it. I wouldn't be doing this for any profit at all, strictly open source is fine for me. Do those people hang out somewhere looking for projects? :D

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
How many hours do you think it will take? I charge out typically at 150/hr or more and I'm of average pay around here

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
How many hours do you think it will take? I charge out typically at 150/hr or more and I'm of average pay around here
I am thinking a good person about 5 hours, maybe less. The framework is there just two pieces aren't implemented. Those can be piecemeal from elsewhere and are probably junior level stuff.

Cad

scientia potentia est
<Bronze Donator>
Real developers are definitely hurting for a $500 project you expect to be finished in 5 hours. That sounds likely to happen.

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
Final update, just met with the recruiters to hand in paperwork and do my I-9. Last day with Comcast is this Friday. Looking forward to better things.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Big_w_powah

Trakanon Raider
...So...Fuck this new salary under 47k=forced to pay OT laws.

All 3 of my fucking project workers today forgot to clock out for lunch and are affected by this. So, when it came time for the 4pm meeting to give them their tasks? Their manager forced them to bounce, instead of just adjusting the clockout for them. So, I took the opportunity to prep environments for them to work in for testing/conversions...

And now? I'm being told I'm going to have to handle the project solo because they don't have to pay me OT, but would end up having to payout OT to those 3 workers...

Good fucking bye sleep for the next 3 weeks.

If I hadn't collected a 7k Q4 bonus? I'd be turning in my 2 weeks tomorrow.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick

All 3 of my fucking project workers today forgot to clock out for lunch and are affected by this. So, when it came time for the 4pm meeting to give them their tasks? Their manager forced them to bounce, instead of just adjusting the clockout for them. So, I took the opportunity to prep environments for them to work in for testing/conversions...

And now? I'm being told I'm going to have to handle the project solo because they don't have to pay me OT, but would end up having to payout OT to those 3 workers...

You know bonuses are paid for previous work right? Work your hours and take your time

Don't be a super hero

Cad

scientia potentia est
<Bronze Donator>

Sounds like they already paid you the bonus, I don't see the problem. Bounce if you need to.

ToeMissile

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>

What are the laws on consecutive hours worked and breaks? I know CA is on the strict side w/ labor stuff, but here it's 30 min uninterrupted for every 6 hours on the clock. If there's something similar they're probably taking a hit or editing clock times and giving it to you sans lube.

Louis

Trakanon Raider

Did this actually go into effect? Last I read there was a hold on the law going through or something. My company already bumped me up to the minimum before it was supposed to take place so I never actually checked again. When my boss told me I'd be getting my pay bumped up about 1200 because of the law he then followed up by saying don't expect a raise this year, because this is it I had pretty mixed emotions. Penny pinching mf'ers

Big_w_powah

Trakanon Raider
Did this actually go into effect? Last I read there was a hold on the law going through or something. My company already bumped me up to the minimum before it was supposed to take place so I never actually checked again. When my boss told me I'd be getting my pay bumped up about 1200 because of the law he then followed up by saying don't expect a raise this year, because this is it I had pretty mixed emotions. Penny pinching mf'ers

My company is acting as if it did. Corporate is in Canada though, so I wouldn't be surprised of a disconnect.

What are the laws on consecutive hours worked and breaks? I know CA is on the strict side w/ labor stuff, but here it's 30 min uninterrupted for every 6 hours on the clock. If there's something similar they're probably taking a hit or editing clock times and giving it to you sans lube.

They did take the break. They just didn't click the button before taking the break.

Sounds like they already paid you the bonus, I don't see the problem. Bounce if you need to.

They did pay the bonus. But I get one every quarter. Estimated work for Q1 '17 is going to lead to a similar bonus; I do have 10 years roughly IT experience, but I make 55k base+nearly 30k in bonuses if the trend continues now; I'm not finding that elsewhere I don't think.

You know bonuses are paid for previous work right? Work your hours and take your time

Don't be a super hero

Super Hero Mode=Moar Projekt Profitz=Bigger Bonus; I'm just bitching they took my workers and put me on this shit solo.

Cad

scientia potentia est
<Bronze Donator>
They did pay the bonus. But I get one every quarter. Estimated work for Q1 '17 is going to lead to a similar bonus; I do have 10 years roughly IT experience, but I make 55k base+nearly 30k in bonuses if the trend continues now; I'm not finding that elsewhere I don't think.

85k total compensation doesn't seem like a crazy high amount or anything for a competent developer.

Louis

Trakanon Raider
85k total compensation doesn't seem like a crazy high amount or anything for a competent developer.

Believe he works more on the hardware/IT side rather than software development if that's what you meant.