IT/Software career thread: Invert binary trees for dollars.

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Our service stack for purchasing is exclusively written in Java. While being knowledgeable and flexible is nice at the moment it isn't required. The only reason we were using C++ here was for a different project which will be launched shortly. Other teams on battle.net do exclusively use C++ but those teams and my team serve wildly different purposes.

moontayle

Golden Squire
And honestly, Java 8 did a lot to put big boy pants on the language. I saw this article early last year that also talked about some of the stuff Oracle has been working on for it. I'm still SOL, because Android is stuck just shy of Java 7, but I get around the limitations via Kotlin or plugins like RetroLambda. Java still has a lot of ceremony surrounding even the most basic things, but it's making progress.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I actually had to do some stuff in visual basic a couple years ago and if I never have to look at code in visual basic ever again it will be too soon.

Tenks

VB6 was the first language I ever learned so it has a special place in my heart. I don't remember it being all bad outside of the inability to really structure the program well and everything living in a massive class file. Though I'm sure that is because of my own ignorance on how to use the language. But for whipping up GUI-driven applications it seems nice .. even though I'm not sure why you'd use it over C#.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
I have a project that I want done. I think it would actually do well. I don't think it could be all that hard.

Where would I go to find people that are interested? Where is the "I have an app that someone else might be interested in doing but I am not a coder" forum? Is it here with you guys?

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
You could see if people are interested here but there also you can contract it out. The problem with not knowing any coding or very much coding is a contractor might be able to take you to the cleaners.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
So here is what I want to make and I think there are enough open source pieces out there it just isn't all combined into one "thing" that I need.

I read, a lot. When I am in the groove I read about 300-500 pages a day. I need a good way to do this in a browser from everywhere. Amazon does a really good job of this with their HTML5 reader the only problem is you can't load in your own books. I have a very extensive library for myself and I would also like to share it with people. There isn't a turnkey solution for this. You can host a library with calibre that you point and app to and it will grab it in the app and download it to the device. You can't read in the browser.

I thought I had found the solution in a thing called Readium. GitHub - readium/readium-js-viewer: ReadiumJS viewer: default web app for Readium.js library It can handle all the viewing of the epub's and handles saving the last read location and all of that. It has two major flaws though. The adding of books or a library is not meant for you to add single books and requires some other tool to create a library to dump into it. It's terrible. The other thing is there is no authentication, I have it behind an .htpasswd so that not everyone can get to it but I would like there to be a tool for it to have users that you can put into a database.

So here is what the final solution would do.

HTML5 compatible viewing of EPUB (and MOBI if that can be done)
User creation in a mysql database from the web admin account
Adding books on the fly with an upload button
Cover/Title scraping via ISBN #

Tenks

Wouldn't the #1 issue here be the legality of it all? It seems like once a publisher gets wind that you're hosting (and presumably profiting from) their material for others to access and consume they'd shut it down immediately.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
Wouldn't the #1 issue here be the legality of it all? It seems like once a publisher gets wind that you're hosting (and presumably profiting from) their material for others to access and consume they'd shut it down immediately.
Couple reasons why this isn't quite an issue.

Calibre and other book programs do it already, just not in the browser.
Plex does this all day every day because what you host with it is your own business and not theirs.
You can download legit non DRM epubs/mobi of all kinds of things.

Tenks

I had to quickly google the Calibre solution and it seems so awkward, cumbersome and difficult that it barely even uses Calibre. It almost telling you to set up your own hosting infrastructure which disassociates Calibre from the situation. With yours you want an all-in-one, easy-to-use, shareable collection of potentially (and most probably) illegally obtained e-books. Since it would all be hosted on your own shit this would get shut down in about 5 seconds. The moment a non-legit epub is hosted you're hosed.

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
I had to quickly google the Calibre solution and it seems so awkward, cumbersome and difficult that it barely even uses Calibre. It almost telling you to set up your own hosting infrastructure which disassociates Calibre from the situation. With yours you want an all-in-one, easy-to-use, shareable collection of potentially (and most probably) illegally obtained e-books. Since it would all be hosted on your own shit this would get shut down in about 5 seconds. The moment a non-legit epub is hosted you're hosed.
If it's open to the public or open to someone who would submit a copyright violation notice, similar to Plex... if the traffic is encrypted (and it should/better be), and the people who it is shared with aren't filling copyright breach reports, there wouldn't be a problem with whatever works were shared. Despite the legality of a_skeleton_03's own personal ebooks he may or may-not share, the author of the code wouldn't be in trouble.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
If it's open to the public or open to someone who would submit a copyright violation notice, similar to Plex... if the traffic is encrypted (and it should/better be), and the people who it is shared with aren't filling copyright breach reports, there wouldn't be a problem with whatever works were shared. Despite the legality of a_skeleton_03's own personal ebooks he may or may-not share, the author of the code wouldn't be in trouble.
Correct.

Plex in all of their screenshots has pirated movies yet no issues ...

Calibre has almost zero use except for managing a library of pirated ebooks ...

So the epub and mobi standards are open and not much different than pdf except that they are more designed to be more portable and have no desire for people to edit them. You generate the book and then you are done. There are tools like calibre that convert pdf to epub etc.

If there was an easy library management and hosting tool available then your company might host a server like it on the internal LAN that holds all the documents you use. Someone else might use it to host all the Project Gutenberg files if they so desire. Things like that.

It is just a tool designed to host.

tyen

EQ in a browser wait time: ____
<Banned>

I have this technique that drives insane amounts of traffic to new sites using a related method.

I'll take a site's news feeds and have them automatically feed to my website and then ill feed it back to google.

the biggest thing theyll do is tell you to take down their content, and then send you a c&d. no big deal.

Stealing other people's content is hilarious. Below is like, 800,000 articles/posts i stole, reposted, and fed to google search. The graph is traffic i recieved because of it over time.

4.png