IT/Software career thread: Invert binary trees for dollars.

agripa

Molten Core Raider
Nobody gives a fuck unless you lie on your timecard.

Speaking of which

ROFL TIMECARD
Timecard fraud is one of the top reasons for employee termination. It is also used as an excuse to fire unwanted employees with cause. We used it at Wells Fargo all the time.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I just write what I work, not sure how they'd even catch someone here unless they monitor key fobbing. I assume they just monitor those who raise concerns

LulzSect

Well-Known Memer
<Banned>
My short lived Gubment hospital software deployment stint years ago required meticulous time keeping.

I had to account for EVERY hour I billed. We had to start accounting the accounting it was such drudgery. They wanted fucking novels written from us about EVERYTHING.

Never again I hope :eek:

Vinen

God is dead
Timecard fraud is one of the top reasons for employee termination. It is also used as an excuse to fire unwanted employees with cause. We used it at Wells Fargo all the time.

I am aware. As I stated the only thing they care about with your time is if you lie about it.

I used to get yelled at weekly to fill out my timecard. I hated doing it. Worst years of my life were working for a soul sucking defense contractor. So much concentrated failure in one building. They will hire anyone with a degree and a pulse... zero skill required. Remember the day the layoffs hit. Watching all the failures get booted from the building was excellent.

I left 2 months later as our contract had us maintaing a C++ project from the dawn of object oriented programming.

alavaz

Trakanon Raider
I start getting nastygrams if my timecard from the previous day is not filled by 9am each day. I haven't personally done it yet, but watching the shit show one of my co-workers had to go through when he accidentally submitted time to the wrong bucket has me triple checking it before I submit and I generally only charge time to one code.

Dunno if any of you guys get to run DPM for your backups... but my god is it shit.

alavaz

Trakanon Raider
Webdevs make 80k+ a year? That shit is super fucking easy.

Web dev is another term like sys admin that could mean just about anything. Depending on the place it could be some scrub shitting out HTML and CSS with zero programming or a "full stack (lol)" developer writing multi tier scalable applications. Easy is also subjective too. I can write python all day because I like it and thus find it easy. Try and pay me to write some javascript to make a table cell highlight yellow or some shit and it would never be enough because I hate JS and front end shit.

Dr Neir

Trakanon Raider
Late isnt a problem, its those on the damn phones all day. Seen too many gaming, IMing, surfing on them trying to fake they are computing. lol, "I dont know why they let me go?"
At least I dont see as many hall zombies as I did 3-5 years ago.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
My short lived Gubment hospital software deployment stint years ago required meticulous time keeping.

I had to account for EVERY hour I billed. We had to start accounting the accounting it was such drudgery. They wanted fucking novels written from us about EVERYTHING.

Never again I hope :eek:
I have to account for every 15 minutes of my time all day every day, and fill out two completely separate sets of time sheets, one for billing and metrics, and one for actually getting paid.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
I made my base salary for the year before the end of May.

The next 7 months are the bonus round.

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
I made my base salary for the year before the end of May.

The next 7 months are the bonus round.

I billed 220 hours in May and I was in Paris for a week! Would have been 280-300 for sure if I hadn't spent so long supping artisinal coffee at brasseries

LulzSect

Well-Known Memer
<Banned>
Almost a decade ago I lasted at a remote services financial services help desk for a year with that type of incremental time keeping bull shit; In a proprietary custom built timekeeping solution no less!!! That shit always spit out wrong information!

In the end switching from the weekend shift Fri - Mon to Mon - Fri, burned me out after a week and I just couldn't hack it. Pulled an office space and got fired real quick thankfully. Got to enjoy the end of summer barely looking for a new gig until a recruiter calls me out of the blue placing me in a sweet sysadmin gig that ended up lasting 3 years.

That scummy help desk company got hit with a lawsuit for fucking employees over by not paying OT. My dumb ass back then didn't even realize I was getting fucked out of OT with that shitty tracking software ofc not reporting it. Ended up getting a grand out of the settlement years later. Fuck those jack offs.