IT/Software career thread: Invert binary trees for dollars.

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
Man that's like 75 hours a week

I know, I've been getting to work before 8 and staying until 7-7:30, and then taking calls and drafting things on the weekends and catching up on docs. We have an exhibit party for an upcoming trial this Sunday that will probably take 6-8 hours. Things have really ramped up since January or so and I've been busy as shit. Bonus should be sick this year though.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Almost a decade ago I lasted at a remote services financial services help desk for a year with that type of incremental time keeping bull shit; In a proprietary custom built timekeeping solution no less!!! That shit always spit out wrong information!

In the end switching from the weekend shift Fri - Mon to Mon - Fri, burned me out after a week and I just couldn't hack it. Pulled an office space and got fired real quick thankfully. Got to enjoy the end of summer barely looking for a new gig until a recruiter calls me out of the blue placing me in a sweet sysadmin gig that ended up lasting 3 years.

That scummy help desk company got hit with a lawsuit for fucking employees over by not paying OT. My dumb ass back then didn't even realize I was getting fucked out of OT with that shitty tracking software ofc not reporting it. Ended up getting a grand out of the settlement years later. Fuck those jack offs.
Interesting situation at work.

When our 1000-person company, based in Rhode Island bought out another 300-person company in Rhode Island, in the resulting shuffle, the smaller company's head of HR got positioned higher than our head of HR, and started looking through all of our pay practices.

The new head of HR determined that we were in violation of RI state law for not paying RI-based Sunday employees time-and-a-half. This was corrected as of 3 weeks ago.

Should we pursue back pay for Sundays? Why or why not?

LulzSect

Well-Known Memer
<Banned>
Damn Mist Mist , sorry to hear that. I had ZERO idea I was being fucked over until I was contacted by the law firm handling the class action suit via mail. Even though I was only pulling 48hr weekend shifts, every time I mentioned uhhh, shoudn't I be getting OT?, I was told "oh LOL it's accounted for in your salary" and then some special timekeeping formula would be explained to me like no you're wrong. (bend over lol)

A group of rightfully disgruntled folks got a lawyer years later and then contacted everyone who was being fucked over. Apparently it was everyone from HD to engineering team even not being compensated OT. Probably was a million dollar lawsuit IIRC.

I'm so glad I did jack shit on weekends and billed the "minimum" hours requirement to get by. My only regret was that I didn't slack off MORE at that faggot tier office. All their clients were million dollar hedge funds. They weren't starving for cash, just slimy fucks.

The only answer I imagine is seek legal counsel or contact the Dept. of Labor. Hell, I'm gonna go audit my paychecks now since we're talking about this shit.

:mad:

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
This week I got paid 40 hours to watch a new kid try to configure a Linux kernel.

Also they hired new people.

Uh....

If this next year isn't better I'm gonna try to go back to Emc. The one job I actually liked

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
He's a recent grad so some stuff is understandable. His first commit he inserted whitespace EVERYWHERE and some Nazi got all pissy, that's the sort of thing you do once and learn. But his desk is super organized and he's anal; I moved a piece of paper like 10 degrees and he fixed it and said I messed it up. Now with the not listening stuff.

Vinen

God is dead
He's a recent grad so some stuff is understandable. His first commit he inserted whitespace EVERYWHERE and some Nazi got all pissy, that's the sort of thing you do once and learn. But his desk is super organized and he's anal; I moved a piece of paper like 10 degrees and he fixed it and said I messed it up. Now with the not listening stuff.

The only thing I've seen that is understandable is the white space.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Spaces and tabs in the code. Some languages specifically are very finicky about whitespace and require formatting to be precise. Nerds battle all day long about whether or not this is a good thing, I have no idea, it just is.

Big_w_powah

Trakanon Raider
So something like:

SELECT * FROM _table1
Where X=4
AND
Y > 9​
ORDER BY DESC

would be considered a lot of whitespace?

Fuck, I do that shit in SQL (see above) all the goddamn time to make it easier for me to read.

lol it took out the white spaces

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
like in python:

Code:
for i in range(0, 25):
		print("fuck you")

prints 25 "fuck you"s, but

Code:
for i in range(1, 25):
print("fuck you")

prints 1, because the interpreter expects dat whitespace when it sees the for loop

spacing got fucked up in the code brackets, but you get the idea. The interpreter includes the whitespace when deciding how to execute the code

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
In general arguing about whitespace is purely a religious argument by developers. Exceptions do occur like Python where whitespace is actually interpreted by the compiler so you don't require braces like most other programming languages. My guess is since Noodle is using Java it was mostly the junior went against their formatting guidelines but then code still compiled and executed fine.