IT/Software career thread: Invert binary trees for dollars.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
What I meant was when we commit code and you diff the code, his had extra white space throughout all 20000 lines. When you diff to review it and every single line changed it's impossible. Now once you can ignore white spaces, but the next time someone changes it perhaps the original white space is removed so you're diffing 20000 lines again.

The proper way is ensure only the lines you altered are shown as changed lines so one can review properly.

It's something I'm anal about. Even if it's just whitespace you don't know if altering 20k lines might insert some sort of fault somewhere because maybe a change wasn't just white space. Or maybe something is interpreted wrong.

The reason he had whitespace issues is surely because he set to use tabs as actual tabs whereas every dev here converts tabs to spaces.

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
In general arguing about whitespace is purely a religious argument by developers. Exceptions do occur like Python where whitespace is actually interpreted by the compiler so you don't require braces like most other programming languages. My guess is since Noodle is using Java it was mostly the junior went against their formatting guidelines but then code still compiled and executed fine.

Isn't this a moot point by now? Even back when I was developing the source repositories all had code formatters that ran on check-in formatting everything to spec.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Isn't this a moot point by now? Even back when I was developing the source repositories all had code formatters that ran on check-in formatting everything to spec.
I've never seen this. We use clear case now but never saw it on stasg

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm

Yeah you can add in hooks to do this. I think to Noodle's point he was trying to review the code which you generally do via changed lines but whatever this guy did changed all the lines. You can also easily bypass these source repo hooks and often times they are more of a pain in the ass than they're worth.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
In principle, I support that. But at my current employer, all my function calls would end up looking like this
Code:
function_name( one,
		parameter,
		per,
		fucking,
		line )

Bet you were too triggered to notice the spaces padding the parentheses.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
It should always be about readability. If your function call or container initialization only contains a few parameters, maybe it's not a good idea to sacrifice a significant amount of vertical lines for a bit of horizontal white space.

Once function calls start getting big or a container's purpose to be added to over time, I'll use one or two parameters per line.

Padding parentheses is just dumb though.

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
It should always be about readability. If your function call or container initialization only contains a few parameters, maybe it's not a good idea to sacrifice a significant amount of vertical lines for a bit of horizontal white space.

Once function calls start getting big or a container's purpose to be added to over time, I'll use one or two parameters per line.

Padding parentheses is just dumb though.

Packing everything in made sense when you coded on 80x24 terminals, because you didn't have the screen real estate to see anything.

Not so much these days...

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Packing everything in made sense when you coded on 80x24 terminals, because you didn't have the screen real estate to see anything.

Not so much these days...
Yeah, I understand the legacy of the standard even if it barely has any relevance today. With any decent monitor today, two terminals split screen will be 120 characters width at least. On top of that, some(most?) IDEs have build FTP or SSH, allowing you to edit files within the IDE and then "save" them to the server. The only time I code within in a terminal is when it's not worth the time to even do the aforementioned.

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
Yeah, I understand the legacy of the standard even if it barely has any relevance today. With any decent monitor today, two terminals split screen will be 120 characters width at least. On top of that, some(most?) IDEs have build FTP or SSH, allowing you to edit files within the IDE and then "save" them to the server. The only time I code within in a terminal is when it's not worth the time to even do the aforementioned.
Does your job enforce PEP 8?

Lendarios

Trump's Staff
<Gold Donor>
My coworker writes code like a .min file, so he doesn't have to scroll up or down.
It literally looks like a wall of text.

It makes me want to stab him in the eye with a pencil.

Lendarios

Trump's Staff
<Gold Donor>
how is that allowedD?

Look at that scroll bar on the bottom, it is halfway. That means that horizontally, there is still another screen of code, around the <M...

longlines.png

agripa

Molten Core Raider
Setting up SIEM's for 8 hours a day is getting boring. I do get to meet a lot of new people from different companies which is nice from networking perspective. I do find bit surprising that some of these people make 80k a year and don't know what putty is.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
They might know it under a pseudonym. I haven't heard anyone use or reference putty in a while. I usually just open a cygwin prompt.

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Putty is still the most popular Windows ssh terminal. I think anyone who has used a Windows machine in a mixed environment should be familiar with Putty.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
The less time I have to spend in that awful 'cmd' console, the better. Cygwin has its own faults, but there some glaring flaws with cmd.