IT/Software career thread: Invert binary trees for dollars.

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Lendarios

Trump's Staff
<Gold Donor>
I don't understand why you think that transversing a binary tree has more value on an interview than a Hanoi tower.
Or another of my favorites, escape a labyrinth

Lendarios

Trump's Staff
<Gold Donor>
tenor.gif

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Exactly, you wouldn't hire that dude. But maybe you'd hire him if he memorized how to do tower of Hanoi

• 1Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
I had to explain to a co-worker what scp is.
To be fair, he has an English degree and is one of our technical writers. Still, if you're documenting a software product, I think you should know how to code to some degree.

Our other technical writer(this guy's boss) is actually quite smart, she just got tired of programming and didn't want to do it anymore.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I can see that happening one day. It's something I've really thought about. I still find programming really fun so I'm not ready to give it up, however I've been mentoring a lot of people and I started to realize that a lot of times the role of a senior/principal isn't always to be a code rockstar but also to help the new guys progress in their careers. Early on I would be a bit salty that someone was promoted over me, but now I realize I should be thinking more team oriented. Person X being promoted doesn't affect me in any way unless it was a job we were both going for

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
I can see that happening one day. It's something I've really thought about. I still find programming really fun so I'm not ready to give it up, however I've been mentoring a lot of people and I started to realize that a lot of times the role of a senior/principal isn't always to be a code rockstar but also to help the new guys progress in their careers. Early on I would be a bit salty that someone was promoted over me, but now I realize I should be thinking more team oriented. Person X being promoted doesn't affect me in any way unless it was a job we were both going for

Totally agree. My only issue is seeing people get rewarded for kissing ass rather than actually doing anything. The coworker I mentioned before who's strategy was exclusively sucking dick is feeling the pain for that already. After our old manager got fired it was pretty remarkable how much my coworker emulates him. I still have to go to meetings here and there with leadership for this reorg process even though my last day is next week and I am pretty much in DGAF mode right now.

But every meeting is him self-aggrandizing and trying to get in with new leadership and angle for a promotion or something. Dude has zero problems stealing work and claiming it as his own and other such tactics. It is quite freeing to be frank with him during the last two weeks. I don't hate the guy but that kinda shit disgusts me. That and saying, "Old Boss said this or that." I was like dude, that bitch is gone. Anything he says is completely meaningless shut the fuck up.

I created a framework that has a bunch of utility in getting around GM's monolithic and byzantine network over the past year or so. That nature of our SSO system makes it extremely hard to reach applications and things you have access to if you are using any kind abstraction layer. Like, suppose you are developing an API and want to use SoapUI or some other tool to test it. You want to do this in parallel to your development. It will take you considerably longer to get your SoaupUI suite working as SoapUI does not use your SSO and now has no way to reach your application environment. Despite your local machine using SSO to access whatever you want. As the SSO system is very opaque my framework recreates the SSO process so you can manipulate it and integrate it into other applications outside of the standard SSO hook-in. This was tedious as fuck to do but ended up being very useful for what I was working on. This is now very valuable as the reorganization has much different ideas in how they want to do things and they will need to replicate this.

Coworker has been angling for this hard right now so he can show it to leadership. I told him to go fuck himself, I published it to the entire department. You could see the salt. This dude got exceeds/exceeds (highest performance rating possible at GM) every year for the past 4 years for ass kissing and new leadership doesn't give a fuck about that. Five years at GM has made me lose all patience with that corporate political bullshit.

• 2Like

The_Black_Log Foler

Stock Pals Senior Vice President
<Gold Donor>
Running through a book similar to Conquering the Code Interview however it's much more in depth.

This shit is kinda crazy. Playing around with bit manipulation. One question is in regards to finding the parity of a 64 bit long where returning 1 means the number of set bits is odd, zero otherwise, but doing it with fastest time complexity.

Did it brute Force np but dudes O(logn) solution I never would have thought of. Asked two of my embedded friends and stumped them too.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I'd like you to write it out. I don't trust your skills since you ask candidates to do tower of Hanoi

• 2Worf

Lendarios

Trump's Staff
<Gold Donor>
Code:
bool rechelper(bit[] data)
{

if (data.length = 1)
{
    return data == 0;
}
bit[] firt =  first half of data;
bit[] second =  second half the data;
return rechelper(firt) XOR rechelper(second)

}

The_Black_Log Foler

Stock Pals Senior Vice President
<Gold Donor>
Code:
bool rechelper(bit[] data)
{

if (data.length = 1)
{
    return data == 0;
}
bit[] firt =  first half of data;
bit[] second =  second half the data;
return rechelper(firt) XOR rechelper(second)

}
You're given a 64 bit positive integer. I.E. not a straight up array of bits. So given maybe 108 or 76 or 67, etc