IT/Software career thread: Invert binary trees for dollars.

Lendarios

Trump's Staff
<Gold Donor>
Not really sure what that means. Any software you write is a product , maybe not THE product but a part of it

you answer your own question.

For example Washinton post .com does not sell software, it sells news, the software is just the medium for delivery.

For example Aetna. The product is healthcare, and it is supported by a shit ton of software, but they are all independent of the product itself.

GM. they sell cars, not software.

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
you answer your own question.

For example Washinton post .com does not sell software, it sells news, the software is just the medium for delivery.

For example Aetna. The product is healthcare, and it is supported by a shit ton of software, but they are all independent of the product itself.

GM. they sell cars, not software.
So you don't want to make a product that is sold, just make something to enable selling something else?

Lendarios

Trump's Staff
<Gold Donor>
There is a huge difference in terms of the corporate culture when the software you are making has a direct impact in the revenue. And that transpires across all levels of development. I'm currently on chillax mode, no rush, etc.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Dude I'm 100% coasting. I don't even care that everyone can tell

After I leave I got plenty of good stories about defense

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
I'm not in the computer industry at all. But I deal with the PythonX people (not the programming language) pretty often and they got bought out by Lindcoln Electric. Their business is selling welders and CNC equipment. That's what the PythonX people do, the software. They like it and have brought up several times they like the emphasis on selling is not the software. In some way it is but...I don't really have any idea how much they make but they work out of Canada and apparently like making road trips just to talk to people on business in the US and then go back to Canada to work. They seemed to like that Lincoln Electric opened a lot of doors for them.

The_Black_Log Foler

Stock Pals Senior Vice President
<Gold Donor>
"Hey come do this awesome full stack developer job, we'll fly u out"

Get there.

Group 1 - "Ya we do development about 30-40% of the time. Oh also we have about 2.5 hours of meetings everyday, scrum etc."

Group 2 - "Ya we pretty much fix all the other team's tech debt. You know make sure everything is running smoothly. If everything is fine we just go grab stuff from our tech debt to-do pile."

God damn tech and your fucking shitty buzzwords, and broad labels.

.tiresome

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Just found out my new boss got married and took his wife's name. Not sure if I can respect the, "man" now.

• 1Mother of God
  • 1WTF
Reactions: 1 users

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Depends on what his last name was. I went to college with a guy named Hadcock. Can't blame a man for wanting to get rid of that.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
It was Stanke. My roommate at university was an asian dude with the last name of Stanke too. But he wasn't a bitch.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Also, I actually enjoy the... long commute to work I have now. I used to dick off and drive 5 minutes to the office and never deal with traffic. Which was awesome. But having to (in Austin, TX) force myself out the door at 6AM, hit the gym, drive to the train, enjoy 30 minutes of reading, then walk for ~10 mins to the office is actually really really pleasant. Returning is about the same, but making way better use of time and headspace.

Happy hour at the corner bar within view of the Texas Capital building on Congress Street to knock back a few beers before hitting up the train is just.. fucking nice man. And still get home before 7 usually.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I always liked a little longer, calmer commute. The new job is an easy hour, but it let's me listen to an audiobook or just relax. The Boston commute was wall to wall horse shit the entire way in.

• 1Like

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
What percentage of your work would you Bros say is actual development work?

Think I'm being sold a devops job at development. Guy says they do development 30-40% of the time and have 2 hour scrum meetings every day....

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Isn't a 2 hour scrum sort of against the entire idea behind scrum?

Depends on the job. Here development seems to hover around 30-40% of my day. New job will be like 90%.

• 1Like

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
30% is about what I do, but I'm a QA manager. The engineers I manage do more. Admittedly, it's less "classical" development of designing and implementing systems and more refactoring and additional features, but I'd consider that just as important in a good developer.

It seems really hard to advance your career if you want to stay with a high amount development work.

• 2Like

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
My team (which is NOT a development team) has one guy doing 40% dev work focused on automation, but our actual dev team is like 80% dev.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
My God.

Junior Dev working with me. C++. Asks me why code isn't compiling.

Just this in the code, supposed to set the variable equal to the return of the function:

C++:
function(value = 39;);

I don't even

• 1Worf
  • 1WTF

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
I don't mind not being 100% Dev work. But being sold that you'll do dev work and your interviewers titles falsified as "software engineers" by the company, only to look them up on LinkedIn and find they're IT is a red flag. Second is showing up and no one can give you a straight answer for WTF they do. Like why can't you just tell me if you refactor other teams code, or if you monitor server health, or if you develop apis for new features.

Instead everyone is a software engineer and everyone gives this obfuscated spiel on "well you see we believe in you make it you own it."

Ok great, so wtf are you making. And if this is true why does homeboy I just had an interview with tell me he refactors other teams technical debt... Which by the way isn't what I signed up for.

Instead they give everyone the label software engineer, use buzzwords and fancy names. One guy was on the "Health and hygiene" team and I'm trying to figure out wtf is that. After beating around the bush I figure out, OOO so you're just IT, you make sure servers arent imploding and occasionally fix old shit code. Fucks sake, why can't people just fucking say, we do x, y, z, and here is an example of something we recently did.

• 1Like

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
30% is about what I do, but I'm a QA manager. The engineers I manage do more. Admittedly, it's less "classical" development of designing and implementing systems and more refactoring and additional features, but I'd consider that just as important in a good developer.

It seems really hard to advance your career if you want to stay with a high amount development work.
Noted but I'm not at a point in my career where that's even an option to take more of a managerial role.

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
lmao, gotta get that health & hygiene engineer title on the ol' resume
Yep. I was like. Wtf is a health and hygiene team as part of software engineering? Like you guys aren't Colgate or Dove soap. I don't get it.

Ooo fancy name for saying were IT and refactor everyone's shitty tech debt.

• 1Worf